Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Correction and a Question
A Correction and a Question
...both of which have been brought up briefly before, and then dropped. ^.^;
I finally found time to confirm that the opening quote from ch. 2, the one about the living god, is not originally from The Story of O, but rather from Robert W. Chambers' "In the Court of the Dragon," one of the short stories collected as The King in Yellow. O was published in 1954, KiY in 1895.
The final paragraph:
Death and the awful abode of lost souls, whither my weakness long ago had sent him, had changed him for every other eye but mine. And now I heard his voice, rising, swelling, thundering through the flaring light, and as I fell, the radiance increasing, increasing, poured over me in waves of flame. Then I sank into the depths, and I heard the King in Yellow whispering to my soul: "It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God!"

As for the question... the conversation between Urd and Chris after Doug recounts his travels strikes me as strange, because we are given absolutely no reason why Urd would want to keep The Truth from her visitor; in fact, we aren't even really told that she does--Chris simply assumes that she must, for no reason that I can see, and Urd agrees, again without saying why. It's been bugging me for a while now...
--Sam
"That cow's tasted human blood!"
Re: A Correction and a Question
It isn't that Urd wants to keep The Truth from Doug; it's that she is required to keep The Truth from Paradox. See chapter 10 of Oh My Brother Book 1 for the reason why.
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Re: A Correction and a Question
Cookie for Rob.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]