Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[RFC][Info] Playing with Boom-Boom (Or, Antimatter and You - A Children's Parable)
RE: [RFC][Info] Playing with Boom-Boom (Or, Antimatter and You - A Children's Parable)
Pretty much all of the calculations I did are within 0-1 orders of magnitude, still. But I think there's a major flaw in construing the analysis in terms of antimatter weapons. If you're using it as fuel, you want to control the reaction, but a weapon is an uncontrolled reaction. Pion decay is in the order of nanoseconds and muon decay is microseconds, but if you're making tons of muons and pions, the chance of them finding their own antiparticle is probably not terrible.

So if you're not getting enough energy out, construct additional pions.

I don't think we've simulated anything close to what an antimatter weapon would do, so I suspect our theories haven't really caught up to what would actually happen. An antimatter explosion is infinitely more complex than would would happen in a particle accelerator. It's like how we go to another planet, and we think we know all the physics, and then we end up asking "wtf are these ice mountains doing on Pluto?"
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto

Messages In This Thread
RE: [RFC][Info] Playing with Boom-Boom (Or, Antimatter and You - A Children's Parable) - by Labster - 04-14-2019, 12:58 AM