Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"If your god discredits the humanity of a group of people..."
"If your god discredits the humanity of a group of people..."
CBC Opinion column: If your god discredits the humanity of a group of people there is a problem with your god

Yes, this is a reaction to the document released by the Vatican last week. The author is a Protestant minister.

Quote:As part of the Christian tradition I must fight any expression of Christian faith that deals in oppression.

So... how is this even a thing that has to be said? How has it ever been a thing that has to be said? Discrediting the humanity of a group of people is the exact opposite of love, IMHO, and:
1 John 4:7-8 Wrote:Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is begotten of God, and knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: "If your god discredits the humanity of a group of people..."
Because these people are hateful monsters.
More generally, I'd say, "because there always has to be a them." After all, how else can there be an "us?"
--
‎noli esse culus
(06-17-2019, 05:38 PM)robkelk Wrote: CBC Opinion column: If your god discredits the humanity of a group of people, you might be a redneck

FTFY, CBC
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(06-18-2019, 08:43 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: More generally, I'd say, "because there always has to be a them." After all, how else can there be an "us?"

Reminds me of a quote from Terry Pratchett:

“Terry Pratchett” Wrote:It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things. -- Jingo
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg