Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chapter 2 Is Now Available!
Chapter 2 Is Now Available!
Yes, this is the message you've all been waiting for.
Here it is.
Go, read, enjoy, comment, and so on...

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
Re: Chapter 2 Is Now Available!
As a pre-reader, let me say to all you fine crack weasels, you're in for a treat! ^_^-Logan
-----------------
"Because Science DEMANDS it!!"
-----------------
Sweeeet!
A universe without Douglas Adams and the 'Guide'. Dang, Doug's gotta get himselve a copy or two paper & electronic. Least they've got Python.
Hmm...right, Universal Constant of Skuld no. 1: if it's a kludge no matter if it works, it'll bug her till it's fixed. (Therefore if she ever sees the Millenium Falcon don't expect to see it again till it meets and exceeds shipyard specs).
Heh, so Paradox hasn't caught onto main bits of godhood yet, or in otherwords (CoH-style) his security & power level ain't in the lvl50 ballwick yet.
Trying to conceal the evidence that Doug's been bopping 'bout fictional universes to this point is so gonna work. In fact wouldn't a visit to the music store indicate somethings amiss PDQ, for memory says the Bubblegum Crisis OSTs were available on CD then. Not to mention EVA.
--Rod.H
"Omnipotent beings, magic theory & some forms of time travel are things my mind throws error code on"
re: Chapter 2 Is Now Available!
All right!
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
*weeps* And I have to go take a midterm.---------------
Leo: (July 23 - Aug 22)
You'll feel a lot better with warm clothes on your back and food in your stomach, proving that cannibalism has a couple things going for it.
---
Jon
"And that must have caused my dad's brain to break in half, replaced by a purely mechanical engine of revenge!"
Nice, Nice. Best thing to do after mowing lawn in the rain (besides the warm shower).
I'd gush on about parts, but that's not me. I'll just calmly sit in the corner getting ideas for Ani-Mayhem cards. Must make a full set.My biggest fear in life is HoagieOfDoom finding a portal to the Tenchiverse.
In the epic rage of furious thunder
legends create their tales
when the twilight calls and the dark lord falls
our glory will prevail

[Image: strikersetcfinal9_th.jpg]
In the epic rage of furious thunder
legends create their tales
when the twilight calls and the dark lord falls
our glory will prevail

[Image: strikersetcfinal9_th.jpg]
The Ford Prefect scene was EVIL! Oh, the punishment!
Great chapter! Eagerly awaiting the next one. I'm really curious to see what would happen if/when Doug finds that all the worlds he's visited are fictional in others.
More commentary once I've digested everything.*********
There's no need to hear, I can shout you.
Thanks everyone, from both of us.
Just FYI, the chapter showed up on the FFML about ten minutes ago.

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
Wai! Wai! Wai!-- This message brought to you by Ely Lilly, makers of SeraFem: Happy Pills for PMS.
[Image: Aleh.jpg]
Great bits, all...
Some of my Favorites were:
Kludge Fu
Finally getting to see ALL the teaser bits in context,
Skuld's possible crush
Chris' friends turning out to be heavnly in nature
The Ford Jokes... Which, in true brittish fashion didnt really hit until about half a page further down.
Sure, I can see Bell feeling more than a bit uncomfortable about recounting what happened the night before, but everyone's reactions were priceless!!!

Some Housekeeping notes though:
The internal links in the Concordance are Incorrect, pointing to the concordance page for Chapter 2, not Chapter 5. Also, the link on the front page itself generated a 404, you probobly accidentally swapped an underscore with a dash or something. Ccirrection: The Front page is .htm instead of .html"I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Deee-licious. This ought to keep me for a month or so before I'll be back to biting my nails. That was the nice thing about discovering DW so late: I got to read DWII all at once.
I'd been wondering, ever since reading OMB (Paradox realizing that his new command of the Japanese language would let him watch anime without dubs or subs) what the excuse would be for not letting Doug in on transfictionality, if and when he mentioned his past adventures in front of an anime fancier.
Let's hope Paradox at least gets around to explaining the "Hitchhiker's" references to him. And if Doug is never going to Discworld, why not let somebody introduce him to those books? I've thought, more than once, that it'd be more fun (in some ways) to watch Doug enjoy reading Discworld stories than to watch him react to being in one. (Less chance of Commander Vimes wanting to arrest him, for one thing.) I'd especially love, given his family background, to see his response to Moving Pictures.
DHBirr
"Up, lad, up! We've villages to pillage, maidens to slay, and dragons to rescue!"
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
I Can't Believe I Forgot to Mention This!
I look forward to Skuld's reaction to the toy Doug got for her. Particularly since she was so irritated about her techno-perfectionism driving her to "give him a gift" by improving his contragravity -- how will she feel about him giving her a gift first?
DHBirr
"Mr. Spock, the women on your planet are logical. That's the only planet in the galaxy that can make that claim."
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
More Commentary from the Peanut Gallery
So Skuld's going to be improving Doug's bike? Hmm... He might want keep track of her. Although... How advanced is AI in the celestial's realm? The possibility of making Doug's bike sentient a la Kino's Journey exists. Snarkier, though. Or, if Paradox gets involved, continue the HGTTG vein and make it the motorcycle equivalent of Marvin. *evil grin*
Amusing thought: Doug's knowledge of engineering, electronics and whatnot is advanced of the OMB mortal realm, correct? I had an amusing mental image of Doug as Skuld's sensei in college. Her reaction alone would be worth it.
Mara's getting pissed. Doug may want to stock up on disco. Or good luck charms, but I disco would work better in his case.
Lastly... Kludge Fu. Amazing. I hope to see more inane/insane/weird attack names!
Quote:
Trying to conceal the evidence that Doug's been bopping 'bout fictional universes to this point is so gonna work. In fact wouldn't a visit to the music store indicate somethings amiss PDQ, for memory says the Bubblegum Crisis OSTs were available on CD then.
According to "a BGC FAQ that I found on the Web"... okay, okay, my BGC FAQ... the BGC OST CDs were most recently released in 1991, excepting the three-CD Complete Vocal Collection that was released in 1998. Doug is visiting The Three in 1997. Have you ever tried to find a Japanese CD that's more than three years old?
On the other hand, there are used-CD stores in Japan...
Quote:
Not to mention EVA.
He hasn't been there yet... but that would throw his next step into chaos, wouldn't it?
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Quote:
Have you ever tried to find a Japanese CD that's more than three years old?
Yes, but as the only place I 'visit' is CD Japan, it's frustrating - I've has slightly better luck with mangas (give ISBN to j-bookshop, book arrives). Plus I missed out on that vocal collection too.
Quote:
On the other hand, there are used-CD stores in Japan...
Which is where Tamiya bought the Gods-Demons CD set from.
>> Not to mention EVA.
>He hasn't been there yet... but that would throw his next step into chaos, wouldn't it?
It may, for I can't recall whether or not Chris has let EVA exist as an anime in OMB!. If it does would Doug even bother to watch it and does any of the music trigger a power?
--Rod.H
Random thoughts...
1)
Quote:
"'Will warp fabric of space-time for food,'"
- I was reading this at ~7am, and actually laughed loud enough to be heard by a neighboring cube-mate...
2) So, where is Urd watching TV at? Smile
3) Chris is channelling a different BGC universe - which obviously follows from his area of control - if he can affect time, naturally he can access alternate realities... Something that the Three are trying to keep him from realizing (at this point, at least). Does this mean that Chris will send Doug on his way to the next step, as opposed to Doug having to find the right song?
4) Chuckled at the "2002" quote... Smile
So, you guys have the next chapter nearly done, right???
RIGHT?????
Smile
Almost forgot...
LONG LIVE FREDDY MERCURY!! *********
>We once won a battle because one of the enemy ruptured a disk in his back lifting an Abrams tank the wrong way and ended up dropping it on
himself.
Heh, I'll take "Sucks to be you" for $400, Alex.
Upon reading...
Another good chapter, Bob. Very entertaining. What was that gnome song, though?
Loved the Ford jokes, BTW... and making a plot point of the Hitchhiker's Guide?-- This message brought to you by Ely Lilly, makers of SeraFem: Happy Pills for PMS.
[Image: Aleh.jpg]
I'd love to reply to everyone's comments right now, but unfortunately, I have a product going to duplication around 2 PM eastern, and I've barely had enough time to scarf my lunch. I just wanted to let people know that I'm not ignoring them.

-- Bob
---------
Where to begin?
Let me see.. excellent work, as always, though somehow I can't help but almost feel sorry for the savage Whammy Mara is inviting on her head over this one...
...As to above comments on Eva.. Does AMG seriously look like a world where Hidekai Anno would cook up Evangelion? It could very be that it simply doesn't exist there, just like how Doug doesn't know the Guide. (Maybe Anno did a Gunbuster TV series instead or something.)
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
well
I'm thinking my way through a complete response for this chapter but I will say that I am . . . ambiguous. I liked its writing but . . .
Yeah.
Anyway: highlights: Freddy!
-murmur
cause who doesn't love Freddy? Now if only Mechazawa would show up.
Mara vs. Doug
From what I've seen, Mara's approach to conflict is basically to play practical jokes on Kenchi until Belldandy gets annoyed.
Doug's approach is "overwhelm and destroy".
Doug's powers are driven by music.
Mara can be defeated by making her listen to disco.
I somehow feel that a fight between the two of them will be a little unfair. Mara will either end up running like hell or hiding behind Belldandy pleading for mercy.
Re: Mara vs. Doug
Heh.
Jinx, you popped an image into me head of Doug in a sentaiesc pose, a finger poised on the play button yelling out "Behold the power of Disco!" right before turning into a Benny Hill chase scene.
--Rod.H
Okay, it's after my product deadline and I'm well-rested. I can finally start answering posts, beginning with RodH's...
Quote:
A universe without Douglas Adams and the 'Guide'. Dang, Doug's gotta get himselve a copy or two paper & electronic. Least they've got Python.
I haven't thought it out at all, but I suspect that Adams ended up as one of the Pythons in Doug's homeworld, the result of one of those "turn left vs. turn right" kind of decisions. (He did write for the Pythons and even appears in an ep of the show.) As a result, a lot of what became HHGTTG in our world probably became a Python movie instead. Can you imagine a Python take on science fiction?
Quote:
Heh, so Paradox hasn't caught onto main bits of godhood yet,
While it's more for Chris to answer this, I would say, "no, he hasn't."

-- Bob
---------