Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attn: All Programmers, Web Devs, Comp Engineers...
RE: Attn: All Programmers, Web Devs, Comp Engineers...
Yeah, I mean I have no idea what the courses are actually like for this. I'm the kind of person who learns best from books and doing, anyway, so organized coursework isn't that helpful for me. But everyone learns differently, so maybe it would be just your thing.

Drogn's right that this package covers all of the current buzzwords. Keep in mind that while having the same skills as everyone else gives you lots of options, that it also doesn't make you particularly valuable either. Learn some other languages/software that sparks your interest. Or, if you hate yourself, you can still make an excellent living maintaining legacy COBOL systems. Only recommended for true masochists, though.

The best thing to do is to find a problem that you want to solve, and try to solve it, and pick up tools along the way. My first major software package is a tool to organize images I downloaded from the chans and boorus, which gradually expanded to even include an ebook reader server. Or you can fix some things in Mediawiki for All The Tropes (hint hint). But having an interesting problem to play with means you're on the right track.

Finally, I'll recommend something else entirely from a different Humble Bundle: a game called Human Resource Machine, which is basically a compilation of simple programming puzzles. But without many operators or libraries, it's like you're doing bare metal programming -- but the thought process is similar to how programming works.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto

Messages In This Thread
RE: Attn: All Programmers, Web Devs, Comp Engineers... - by Labster - 05-05-2019, 07:17 PM