Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue-sky thinking: Why not split the USA?
RE: Blue-sky thinking: Why not split the USA?
This can be done legally at a Constitutional Convention. I'd actually be concerned about what happened afterwards, as the Partition of India worked so bloody well, emphasis on "blood".

And actually the Whigs ceasing to be a viable party was one of the portents for the American Civil War.

There's also no real incentive for the red states to play ball in this plan. Right now they have a majority of the power with a minority of the votes. Change to any other plan, and you get a country where the majority of the wealth is concentrated in the blue state country, which would de facto lead to power tipping the other way. So you'd have to trick the conservatives to agree to this plan, because it's not in their interest. If you could get conservatives to convince themselves that they're under attack by liberals who are in control of the system and destroying their way of life, maybe you could pull this off. Okay, so maybe that's plausible.

This is canon in Ghost in the Shell/Appleseed, right?

But, like, I would actually just prefer a federal union for all of North America, and this goes the wrong way. We can't even tell the difference when we meet a Canadian on the street. And Mexican culture, it's like not really that different anyway. I mean, I hear mariachi bands from the neighbors during holidays anyway, and that's fine. Unless the residents start singing after a few too many beers, that is.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto

Messages In This Thread
RE: Blue-sky thinking: Why not split the USA? - by Labster - 05-12-2019, 05:59 PM