Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teaser
Teaser
"Good morning, everyone," I announced as I made myself comfortable, and got a round of greetings back -- some friendly and even warm, others desultory or grudging. Oh well, can't please everyone. Belldandy began distributing bowls of rice as part of a traditional Japanese breakfast. I was still caught somewhere between amused and bemused at the intersection of Norse gods and Japanese food, and I think it showed in my face because a suddenly-concerned Belldandy asked, "Is there something wrong with breakfast, Doug?"I blinked, sputtered for a moment, then dove headfirst into thetruth or something like it. "No, just..." I waved vaguely at thetable. "You're very Japanese for someone who's Scandinavian," Ifinally blurted lamely, unable to come up with any better way toput what I was thinking. "All of you.""Some of us," Angel offered sotto voce, "are actually veryCanadian and might like pancakes once in a while. Or wafflesand hash browns."

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
Re: Teaser
ohhhhhhh waffles and _hash browns_.
I like the way that canadian thinks.[Image: kokbanner.jpg]
--- Kokuten Daysleeper, Retired Epicced Officered DorfWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
But what about bacon? *********
There's no need to hear, I can shout you.
And Maple Syrup? The good stuff, not that chemical mixture called imitation...hmm might have to vist the PX at a American base to get it.
All I can say is, be patient. Breakfast options will be explored properly.

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
Somehow, though, I see Belldandy being utterly baffled by the concept of grits and/or redeye gravy. Hell, I grew up on the stuff, and I'm baffled by them sometimes.
Of course, Paradox is Canadian and Doug is a Californian. I suspect that Southern cooking will not factor into things. A shame, really; we do some truly amazing things with grease.Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
http://www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Not in chapter 2, no. But...

-- Bob
---------
Hmm. Come to think of it, isnt Warrior homebase in England? For some reason I keep thinking you've placed their mansion just outside London.
(which of course, gives an additional twist on breakfast offerings)"I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
I fear the day Urd is introduced to English food. Just the innuendoes based on Toad in the Hole and Spotted Dick are legion WITHOUT her help.
- CD
What, you think Samuel L. Jackson isn't going to survive the zombie apocalypse?

SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
" It's crazy to try to spell out all the mega-nooks and hyper-crannies of a Borg contrivance." - Doug Drexler
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
PROGRESS!
Progress at last!
At any rate, I think that all the 'weird english names for food' jokes were done long ago and shouldn't be brought up again. yes, they're weird and should be mocked at every opportunity in regular life but just not in writing.
however, i do think that we haven't seen the sort of "what kind of world history does this world have and how has the presence of non-superhumans and what not affected it" kind of rumination we had in DWII wouldn't be amiss.
not that i don't think that there wouldn't be. just saying.
And what would norwegian goddesses eat, anyway? golden apples and meat from regenerating goats would probably figure heavily into it. also, pocky.
-murmur
because pocky gets everywhere
Breakfast Options:
Quote:
"Some of us," Angel offered sotto voce, "are actually very
Canadian and might like pancakes once in a while. Or waffles
and hash browns."
"My Kingdom for an IHOP restaurant".
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: Breakfast Options:
Quote:
"My Kingdom for an IHOP restaurant".
That reminds me of an amusing Onion headline:
"Mason-Dixon Line renamed IHOP-Waffle House Line"*********
There's no need to hear, I can shout you.
All I can say after living down the street from an IHOP (I was in Washington DC for 19 months) is:
Canada needs more IHOPs.
--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
A man can never have too many pancakes, eh, Chris?

-- Bob
---------
Oh, and in case people haven't noticed the recent change to the subhead, the chapter went out to the prereaders last night.

-- Bob
---------
Re: PROGRESS!
Quote:
however, i do think that we haven't seen the sort of "what kind of world history does this world have and how has the presence of non-superhumans and what not affected it" kind of rumination we had in DWII wouldn't be amiss.
Which reminds me of a related question I've been meaning to ask Bob...
We've been shown that WW-Japan has a rather different post-WW2 history than our own. But most, if not all, of the alternate Japans that Doug has/will hit are based more on the real world version.
I'm curious about Doug's take on "standard" Japan as opposed to the one he knows...
--Sam
"The willow bends to reach the stream. And yet, do crabs?"
Take on different Japan
Quote:
We've been shown that WW-Japan has a rather different post-WW2 history than our own. But most, if not all, of the alternate Japans that Doug has/will hit are based more on the real world version.
I think he;d find it strange that there were no known superpowered mutants (heroes and villains) in a coutry where the A-bombs were dropped. Of course, when you have divinities and super-powered magical girls living in Tokyo, who'd miss them?
The point of divergence would even be stranger, if it were in the 1920's (Sakura Taisen and Steel Angel Kurumi)
Something, just popped into my mind...could Chrno's Crusade and Sakura Taisen exist in the same earth? That is, if you ignore Sakura Taisen V?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell