Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well, THAT'S Peculiar
Well, THAT'S Peculiar
Here's an odd little thing I found in OMG manga: one scene seems to indicate that Keiichi was brought up Christian, whatever religion or lack thereof (aside from Belldandy-worship) he professes now.
It's a dream sequence (as a result of getting hit by Skuld's hammer *again*) in which he's marrying Bell, in a decidedly Western-looking church. Tamiya (!?!) is officiating, wearing a black cassock and skullcap and a pectoral cross.
I haven't seen anything else to confirm or deny this notion, except for an early scene where he specifically denies being Buddhist. Not that it matters, really, but does anyone have anything else on this?
DHBirr
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Re: Well, THAT'S Peculiar
Japan has latched onto Western style weddings, because they are quick and less complicated compared to their own.
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor
A full on Shinto wedding is slow, expensive, and not considered to be very 'hip' by most modern folks.
Expensive is the largest factor of all, though.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
There's a minor Rumiko Takahashi story set at a wedding chapel, with hi-jinks among the people running it. This 'chapel' does Shinto, Buddhist or Christian style weddings, depending on the desires of the couple - but with the same guy playing the presiding priest in each case, he just changes his clothing.
religion-like clothing
only very few people get killed over vera wang.
if i remember a few articles and what-not on religion in japan, they take a somewhat ecumenical view on things. like, raised shinto but have christian weddings because they're very romanticized (sic?) and fancy with big dresses and whatnot and have buddhist burials (though i don't know what the particular appeal to that is, even though my father's a buddhist).
but here's a question: would BELLDANDY want a christian wedding?
think about it
-murmur
Re: religion-like clothing
Quote:
but here's a question: would BELLDANDY want a christian wedding?
mmmmm i'm thinking... she'll decide on whatever makes Keiichi happy. If k1 wants a christian wedding then a christian wedding he will get.
but then again... maybe the gods have their own type of wedding ceremony hmm?_____________________________
HK-47: "Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds"
Quote:
If k1 wants a christian wedding then a christian wedding he will get.
No no, the groom's job at a wedding is to stand where he's told, move when he's told, and say what he's told. It's the bride's day.
- CD
What, you think Samuel L. Jackson isn't going to survive the zombie apocalypse?

SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
" It's crazy to try to spell out all the mega-nooks and hyper-crannies of a Borg contrivance." - Doug Drexler
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Maybe, CD, but this is BELL we are talking about. If she feels a Christian style wedding is what K1 wants, that's what she'll do.
Of course, with Skuld and Urd in the picture, it may not be what she GETS..."I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
I recall seeing an image by Fujishima-san that answers this question... (looks through collection), Ah, yes, there it is! (copies it to the temp page)
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Well, *that* clearly seems to favor Western wedding garb -- altho the way the bride and groom were dressed was never a notable part of my concern. I saw the Western-style wedding dresses in Korea, too (a white lace dress, in a country where white is traditionally associated with mourning!). What puzzled me was the cross worn by Tamiya-as-clergyman when he said, "Belldandy! Does yuh pledge undyin' luv to dis here Morisato guy?"
My thanks to all who contributed to enlightening me.
DHBirr
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
I just put a de-yellowed version of that image here BTW, but I'm only leaving it up for a couple of days because it's frikkin' huge.
- CD

" It's crazy to try to spell out all the mega-nooks and hyper-crannies of a Borg contrivance." - Doug Drexler
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
yaaaaaay *snaffle*.
*thanks the rob and cd for the piccy*_____________________________
HK-47: "Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds"
Thank Rob - I dragged the file to Photoshop, hit cmd-L, clicked twice, and saved. He's the one who found the image in the first place.
- CD

--
Maybe a distinction needs to be drawn between "Western-style wedding" and "Christian".
Many weddings in Asia are Western-style these days, but not "Christian". Because no priests or churches are involved.
Just a marriage registrar or justice-of-the-peace or somethin'. The wedding dress is usually a white fluffy thing, and there's vows, and rings, but not much religion.
I figure Western-style stuff is viewed as more modern. Y'know. 'Cooler'. Arguably it's cheaper and less messy than all the traditional trappings.
-- Acyl