Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ghostbusters 2020 (spun off from the Trailers Thread)
Ghostbusters 2020 (spun off from the Trailers Thread)
Five months ago I posted the following:
Quote:Director Jason Reitman, son of Ivan Reitman, has apparently been working on a new Ghostbusters movie -- set in the original movies' timeline.  And he's just released a teaser trailer, which, as the best teasers do, tells us absolutely nothing but does it in a very cool way:

<video embed snipped>

Well, turns out now they're announcing casting -- Paul "Ant-Man" Rudd is the latest, and according to that article:

Quote:Carrie Coon is also in talks for the not-so-secret project along with “Stranger Things” star Finn Wolfhard and “Gifted” star Mckenna Grace.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: Ghostbusters 2020 (spun off from the Trailers Thread)
And the first real trailer has been released, and it looks good.

-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Well, going by the trailer at least, it's promising to be more than a shitty nostalgia cash-in.
And judging by how she's a dead ringer for him, the little girl is obviously Egon's granddaughter...
-- Bob

NICE.

This is definitely one of those situations where Hollywood got burned and learned their lesson. I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes.
While I'm enthused to see this, I hate the fact that the toxic fanboys will think they got their reward because of it.
-- Bob

I don't think there's anything that can keep toxic fanboys from feeling entitled, I'm afraid.

Trailer looks cool, like it probably only spoils a little of the first act.  Looks like someone went, "Hey, let's do Ghostbusters meets Stranger Things, that will draw in the 18-49 demogorg^H^H^H^graphic!"
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
I wonder if we will find this will be GB:TNG; that is the feeling I have at the moment. Of course, if it is it still won't stop the toxics from complaining it's not THEIR Ghostbusters. Cause Toxics gotta be toxic!
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
I feel like the phrase "toxic fandom" has been thrown around so much in the past few years that it's lost its meaning. Is it just people who complain "they changed it, now it sucks" and/or "they didn't change it, it still sucks," possibly at the same time? Sure seems like it's "anyone who doesn't like this media item I support" while dismissing any actual artistic criticism at this point. Doubly so if you can find some excuse to hang gender or racial issues off of it.
--
‎noli esse culus
If the phrase "toxic fandom" has been thrown around I've totally missed it. All I was thinking about was that for the last Ghostbusters movie, people started hating on it before the trailer even came out, back when we found out there would be women in it. The same element was at play -- with totally different people, mind you -- when people were complaining about ScarJo in the Ghost in the Shell movie. I have no idea how other people use that term, if they even do. But to me, it's when the fandom is so obsessed with some form of purity that the work is never given a chance. The prejudice is the toxic part, along with inciting others to share that prejudice.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(12-12-2019, 03:19 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: I feel like the phrase "toxic fandom" has been thrown around so much in the past few years that it's lost its meaning. Is it just people who complain "they changed it, now it sucks" and/or "they didn't change it, it still sucks," possibly at the same time? Sure seems like it's "anyone who doesn't like this media item I support" while dismissing any actual artistic criticism at this point. Doubly so if you can find some excuse to hang gender or racial issues off of it.

The toxic fandom winds up tarring the ones who just don't like it because it isn't "their" media, if only because the toxic part winds up being the more visible component of the dissatisfaction with the product, because they take especial efforts to not only complain, but to try to destroy.

The toxic part of the fandom is the part that was dropping review bombs on sites before the Ghostbusters was even in theaters. The toxic part of the fandom is the part that drove Leslie off Twitter with hate mail and threats. The toxic part of the fandom is the part that was the Sad Rabid Puppies movement having steam in trying to damage/taint/destroy the Hugo awards. The toxic part of the fandom is the part that doxxed and sent death threats and SWATting attacks at Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian. The toxic part of the fandom is the part that doesn't just complain about the "new version" and "modern media" that they don't like, they actively try to tear it down in some way or another so that the rest of us can't have it.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Ah, assholes. Thing is, there are assholes everywhere, so of course there are going to be some who dislike (and others who do like!) any given thing and express it in their uniquely assholish ways. It mostly becomes a problem when these cries for attention get enough to encourage them, though there have always been those who tried to make their mark on the world by leaving a burning scar where something others loved once stood. It's nothing unexpected that when whoever throws the loudest tantrum on social media can get their fifteen seconds of fame they act as a magnifying lens for such bad behaviour, which is just another reason to feel smug about not engaging on those platforms as far as I'm concerned.

But then, sometimes I'm an asshole too, for all I try to not be obnoxious most of the time.
--
‎noli esse culus