Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Still think climate change is a hoax?
RE: Still think climate change is a hoax?
So I'm visiting Amsterdam, and it got to 40.5° today.  Still humid, mostly calm winds.

And everything is freaking breaking.  Trains can't be run as fast, let the rails expand right off the track.  I think all of the Intercity Direct trains were cancelled today.  Several bridges had to be closed downtown for the same reason, thermal expansion of metal drawbriges.  The hotel I registered claimed to have air conditioning -- which made it all of 4° cooler than outside.  So only 35° in the room.    The airport had issues with the tarmac starting to melt, and lots of flights were cancelled.  They broke a fuel pump yesterday, which means that some flights couldn't refuel.

In my hotel, a guy walked by me talking to his girl.  He said, "If it's like this for one day, how bad is it going to be when the apocalypse comes?"  How bad indeed.

Summer is coming.

robkelk Wrote:I think 2,000 years is a pretty good baseline - that should be long enough to filter out any natural causes of climate change. And over those 2,000 years, the researchers were not able to find any event that affected the entire planet at the same time, the way the current event is affecting the entire world now.

I had just been talking about how bad the Roman Empire was on the environment.  There should still be a little anthropogenic signal in there at 2000 years, mainly from land use change in North Africa.  This is not global, but would be a strong enough effect to change the global heat balance a little.

robkelk Wrote:Nature is a peer-reviewed journal - any glaring flaws in the methodology should have been spotted, and would have blocked publication of any of the studies. The fact that all three were published should tell you something.
Nature and Science are the sensationalist media of the science publishing world.  I know it has so-called impact factor, but they've had some major retractions lately.  Appeal to authority doesn't work well in this case.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto

Messages In This Thread
RE: Still think climate change is a hoax? - by Labster - 07-25-2019, 04:49 PM