Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kudos to whoever did this
Kudos to whoever did this
At a speech on Tuesday, one of the Presidential seals displayed behind Trump had been modified to have a two-headed Russian eagle holding golf clubs, with "45 is a puppet" in Spanish instead of "E pluribus unum" for the motto.

USA Today coverage

Gizmodo article, with a great shot of Trump in front of the altered seal and more.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: Kudos to whoever did this
Oh, that's not nice.

It's funny, but not nice.

(I also wouldn't be surprised if somebody ends up taking unpaid leave over it. If the security team missed that, are they missing something else that would put someone's life in danger?)
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(07-25-2019, 05:59 PM)robkelk Wrote: (I also wouldn't be surprised if somebody ends up taking unpaid leave over it. If the security team missed that, are they missing something else that would put someone's life in danger?)

You'd think so, but it's a veritable comedy of errors over there.  They regularly get things wrong like "Teresa" May's first name, not to mention the misspellings in Trump's own tweets.  So long as the person didn't commit the Cardinal Sin themselves, Trump has shown himself to be more than willing to leave on inept or corrupt aides.

The Cardinal Sin, of course, is insulting the President or his big beautiful brain.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Ah, but this was an insult of the prez...
And a staffer was let go. If it was someone at the venue who was responsible, I thought nothing would happen. But yeah, someone broke the Prime Directive (not eating Trump steaks) and then went on to insult the president. And that's just plain "unAmerican".
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Is there anything more American than insulting our government and members thereof? It's a pretty long standing practise, and being able to do so without fearing a hobnailed boot coming down on your back was one of those things that got built in from the beginning with the Bill of Rights.

I'm not saying it was wrong to dismiss someone for this particular event, but because they pranked a client of the event hall in a way that damaged their reputation, not because of who that client was or what the message was. Would you not expect someone to get fired if this had been, say, an auto show presentation and someone switched up the Ford Motor Company representative's logo slide with one subtitled "Fix Or Repair Daily?"
--
‎noli esse culus
Also, the excuse given was apparently 'we found an image on Google Search and didn't realize it was fake.'
(07-26-2019, 10:57 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: Is there anything more American than insulting our government and members thereof? It's a pretty long standing practise, and being able to do so without fearing a hobnailed boot coming down on your back was one of those things that got built in from the beginning with the Bill of Rights.

It's a rather important part of the democratic process, IMHO. It's when dissent is no longer accepted that a society is in trouble - by the time dissent is no longer tolerated, it's too late.

As for this being American, note the wording of the first quote in my .sig
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown