Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Progress Report, 17 June 2005
Progress Report, 17 June 2005
Yes, the chapter size just jumped from 126K to 139K. We're getting there, finally. A scene and a half got written yesterday, and basically we have a scene and a half more before the chapter is done.
It's that half-scene which is the sticker, by the way. Who'd've thought writing up how Doug meets the sempais would be so hard? I've gone through three different scenarios so far. Not just versions -- entirely different sequences of events. Sheesh.

-- Bob
---------
It's spelt "Frodo Baggins" but it's pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove."
Re: Progress Report, 17 June 2005
ehh? would you mind posting the alternate meeting scenario ideas after the chapter is done? I suspect that there would be much amusement garnered from it Big Grin_____________________________
JAYNE: "You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here!"
*Audience chant mode: ON*
O - MA - KE! O - MA - KE!"I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Quote:
It's that half-scene which is the sticker, by the way. Who'd've thought writing up how Doug meets the sempais would be so hard? I've gone through three different scenarios so far. Not just versions -- entirely different sequences of events. Sheesh.
I kinda suspect, given his ethnicity and obvious physical fitness (and Los Sempais experience with Chris), that someone would exclaim, "Not another older brother!"
("Los Sempais" - Tejano/J-pop Fusion. Coming to a music store near you)Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
http://www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Quote:
O - MA - KE! O - MA - KE!

I second that!
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
yay! *does happy dance*
Quote:
O - MA - KE! O - MA - KE!
I also second that!What if: Chibi Usa, Veteran Speznas Ninja Commando From Hell(tm)?
Re: Re: Progress Report, 17 June 2005
Only if I saved them. I'll have to go look at least for the earliest version, as I'm not sure now whether I just erased it or pasted it into my "discards" file.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
("Los Sempais" - Tejano/J-pop Fusion. Coming to a music store near you)
Ow.
Next A-kon I need to hit you for that.Brazil has decided you're cute.Brazil has decided you're cute.
Quote:
I'll have to go look at least for the earliest version, as I'm not sure now whether I just erased it or pasted it into my "discards" file.
Update on this front: At least some of the versions made it into the discards file. Not all of them.

-- Bob
---------
*gallic shrug*
I can live with that! =)"I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Consider this good news. I'm about to throw another scene fragment in the bin. The current version isn't working either. Dammit.

-- Bob
---------
wargh?! It can't be thaaaaat hard can it? o.O

Sometimes it's hard enough to get your own characters to do what you want them to do (and keep them in character) - Bob has to worry about somebody else's characters as well as his own for this scene.
Take the time you need, Bob...
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
hmm very true... speaking like that must make me sound like a class A fool :S
on the other hand maybe listing out why the scene is so hard to write might help things along?
Quote:
wargh?! It can't be thaaaaat hard can it? o.O
Again I remind you: the Corwin/Utena thing was supposed to be a comedy subplot of the first Symphony of the Sword.
Yes, it can be that hard.Brazil has decided you're cute.Brazil has decided you're cute.
Yes indeedy it can be that hard. So far I've had Doug get overwhelmingly violent (mistaking them for Yak legbreakers there to put some pressure on Keiichi), annoyed at their rudeness, snarky/sarcastic, and (currently) playing mind games with them. None of it work(ed/s).

-- Bob
---------
*Los Sempais charge in*
*Doug stares*
*Los Sempais berate Keiichi*
*Keiichi complains*
*Los Sempais yell some more*
*Keiichi gives in*
*Los Sempais charge out*
*five minutes later, Doug picks his jaw up off the floor and turns to Chris/Belldandy/Urd/Skuld/Banpei/Kodama&orHikari/randompottedplantortanukistatue*
Doug: What... the...
Ja, -n
(^_^)
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
Quote:
Yes indeedy it can be that hard. So far I've had Doug get overwhelmingly violent (mistaking them for Yak legbreakers there to put some pressure on Keiichi), annoyed at their rudeness, snarky/sarcastic, and (currently) playing mind games with them. None of it work(ed/s).

Try the old male bonding routine...3 alpha wolves size up each other and decide that each is worthy of joining the pack...of course what sort of weird contest the sempais and Doug (along with Urd and Skuld) are capable of dreaming up is interesting.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: Re: Re: Progress Report, 17 June 2005
I'll throw an idea out. Why not?
Mostly I see the Sempais hearing about the hot new project that Keiichi is working and spending his extra time on. It somehow doesn't come across that the project isn't actually something that Keiichi owns.
They "sneak" in to get a peek and find Skuld, Doug, and whoever is working on the bike.
They start drool over the partially completed work.
At this point Doug would notice the drooling sempais. He pegs them as mostly harmless since they've been reduced to drooling zombies by the bike, he doesn't get a danger feeling off of them, and that if there were truely dangerous the defenses of the temple would have taken care of them.
Doug continues to work on the bike smirking ever since he noticed the two vistors. This continues until Skuld notices them drooling on her workshop's floor.
Shawn Earl
Re: Re: Re: Progress Report, 17 June 2005
Actually, Nathan's idea comes closest to the kind of feel I want for this point in the story.
Which reminds me that when I have this kind of problem, I really ought to take it to my prereaders' list instead of just angsting about it. Thank you, Nathan!

-- Bob
---------