Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, are the Republicans having some sort of competition?
So, are the Republicans having some sort of competition?
Steve King defending not allowing exceptions for abortions in the case of rape and incest: What if we went back through all the family trees and just pulled those people out that were products of rape and incest? Would there be any population of the world left if we did that?

Ben Shapiro: Poverty is poor peoples fault for taking jobs that don't pay enough.

Everything they've said about the statue of liberty this week.

I mean, there's being horrible people with no sense of decency, compassion or basic morals, but when did it become a fucking competition?
RE: So, are the Republicans having some sort of competition?
I think they feel confident in saying the quiet parts out loud because they don’t fear any kind of backlash or paying a price for it.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
They may be right in the short run.

I doubt it, in the long run.
The Republicans have no reason not to say such things out loud. In fact, there's evidence that saying such things out loud works in their favour: Trump said similar things in 2015-2016 and was elected President.

People who don't like it should know what needs to be done in November 2020: show them the error of their ways the only way that they pay attention to.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
... Greenland?
(08-15-2019, 10:51 PM)Matrix Dragon Wrote: ... Greenland?

A simple extension of the Roosevelt Corollary to the Monroe Doctrine.

EDIT: But, no, Greenland is not for sale.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
But it's already been made clear the U.S. IS for sale.  Therefore ... Denmark Offers to Buy U.S.
Quote:“We believe that by giving the U.S. an educational system and national health care, it could be transformed from a vast land mass into a great nation,” the spokesperson said.
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
The GOP strategy with regards to mass shootings by white supremacists.

https://www.tampabay.com/florida-politic...lame-left/

Quote:"But it (the advice on dealing with questions about why they don't do anything about gun control) also included this question: “Do you believe white nationalism is driving more mass shootings recently?” The suggested response is to steer the conversation away from white nationalism to an argument that implies both sides are to blame.

“White nationalism and racism are pure evil and cannot be tolerated in any form," the document said. “We also can’t excuse violence from the left such as the El Paso shooter, the recent Colorado shooters, the Congressional baseball shooter, Congresswoman Giffords’ shooter and Antifa.""
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
Steve King says the media owe him an apology.  
Quote:“And so, when we have a national, viral attack that comes out on a misquote, and it’s absolutely proven, all the folks that did that attack, I think they owe me an apology, including my own leadership,” King added.

The Des Moines Register did correct another quote it ran on King’s remarks. But the part about rape and incest was reported accurately. The newspaper also published video of King’s remarks, which he made last week at an event at the Westside Conservative Club in Urbandale, Iowa.

One reader mentioned this apropos of nothing in comments on an unrelated article, saying:

Quote:Steve King (R-IA) says that the video of his comments is misquoting him.

Oh, for FSM's sake!

No doubt the video was "touched by His Noodly Appendage."

-----
"Oh, my people had many gods. There was Conformity, and Authority, and Expense Account, and Opinion. And there was Status, whose symbols were many, and who rode in the great chariot Cadillac, which was almost a god itself. And there was Atombomb, the dread destroyer, who would some day come to end the world." — Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen, H. Beam Piper
Ummm, yeah.  The "second coming of God." 

Y'know, he could seriously put comedians out of business:  how do you parody bugfuck insanity like this?
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
OMFG.

He seriously fucking went THERE!?

That's it, folks. Game over. We now have the motherfucking Anti-Christ on our hands here.
His orangeness also cancelled his trip to Denmark because they refused to sell Greenland.

(08-21-2019, 05:39 PM)SilverFang01 Wrote: His orangeness also cancelled his trip to Denmark because they refused to sell Greenland.

The way it's being reported in Canada, he dropped the appointment in a snit because they were giving his idea the respect it deserved instead of the respect he thought was his due. You can't treat him that way, he's an American!
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I only lament that I will not be able to say “something is rotten in the state of Denmark” when he landed.

(08-21-2019, 05:57 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(08-21-2019, 05:39 PM)SilverFang01 Wrote: His orangeness also cancelled his trip to Denmark because they refused to sell Greenland.

The way it's being reported in Canada, he dropped the appointment in a snit because they were giving his idea the respect it deserved instead of the respect he thought was his due. You can't treat him that way, he's an American!
No, he's not just an American; in his mind, such as it is, he is America, the way royalty used to be able to say, "I am France" or "the Netherlands," or wherever.  Like the Pope making a decree ex cathedra.  So the Danish PM insulted the entire U.S.A.  In what passes for Windrip's mind.
Quote:“Don’t say, ‘What an absurd idea that is.’ Because she’s not talking to me, she’s talking to the United States of America. You don’t talk to the United States that way.”
Actually, Dotard Don, considering that the United States was so ill-advised and shit-stupid as to install you in office, the U.S. deserves to be talked to that way.  All of us; even the ones who knew or guessed what a disaster you'd be as President and tried to prevent it.  We didn't do enough to stop you.

Also, I think a big part of the problem was that it was a woman daring to say, "No," to him.

-----
Considering that one dictionary definition of "carry on" is to "behave or speak in a foolish, excited, or improper manner," the designers of that famous poster, "Keep Calm and Carry On," need to make up their flippin' minds!
(08-21-2019, 08:16 PM)DHBirr Wrote: Also, I think a big part of the problem was that it was a woman daring to say, "No," to him.

If that's the case, then he needs to update his attitude towards women to something that's Y2K-compliant.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(08-22-2019, 06:07 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(08-21-2019, 08:16 PM)DHBirr Wrote: Also, I think a big part of the problem was that it was a woman daring to say, "No," to him.

If that's the case, then he needs to update his attitude towards women to something that's Y2K-compliant.

That’s assuming his hardware is still compatible.

You mean that wasn't obvious from his presidential campaign?
(08-23-2019, 05:28 AM)Inquisitive Raven Wrote:

You mean that wasn't obvious from his presidential campaign?

'Grab them by the pussy.'
Our Prez, the rock star.  Wouldja believe, surgeons will actually leave their patients in the operating rooms to crowd around and see him?

If you would, the headline, like the hospitals, says you're wrong.  Headline:  

Quote:Trump said doctors left operating rooms to greet him after mass shootings. Hospitals in Dayton and El Paso say that’s not true.

-----
"Oh, my people had many gods. There was Conformity, and Authority, and Expense Account, and Opinion. And there was Status, whose symbols were many, and who rode in the great chariot Cadillac, which was almost a god itself. And there was Atombomb, the dread destroyer, who would some day come to end the world." — Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen, H. Beam Piper
CBC News: Stocks sell off after Trump blasts his own Fed chief for warning about the trade war

Goddamnit, Trump, you've eroded my retirement savings so much that I can't afford to retire this year after all. Back to work for me.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
One point they miss in the CBC coverage was this non-precious gem from @realDonaldTrump: "....My only question is, who is our bigger enemy, Jay Powel or Chairman Xi?"  Calling your own central bank chairman, Jerome Powell, an enemy is... unique.  Certainly not a new low for this man, but naturally the markets will have a negative reaction.

robkelk Wrote:Goddamnit, Trump, you've eroded my retirement savings so much that I can't afford to retire this year after all. Back to work for me.
My retirement has been out of stocks and in the money market for a little over a year now.  Every time I start to develop a feeling of FOMO, shit like this goes down and I laugh at all the losers who still believe in a "fundamentally sound economy".  Sorry Rob.  When Black Friday comes, I'll stand down by the door -- and catch the grey men when they dive from the fourteenth floor.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
I'm going to chime in here on the issue with the Fed.

Long and short of the situation there is that just by looking at how the Fed has reacted to the previous administration (generally cutting interest rates to try and help the economy) and how they have acted during the last two and a half years, (raising interest rates to slow the economy by restricting money flow) I can see an argument where Trump is right. The issue is that the fed sees its job as to keep the economy flowing at an artificially moderate pace. This is something they have continually fragged up since their inception to include being A cause of the stock market crash of 1929.
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

Low interest rates are not necessarily a good thing. It's become the seeds of a real crisis in Europe where interest rates have been lowered to the negative - andbanks are actually getting into negative interest on deposits - it's not worth their while to hold the money but the banks can't charge depositors the negative interest for fear that there'll be a full on continent-wide bank run. Here, it's had the consequence of turning property into an investment vehicle, which is causing some real social issues.

It's potentially good for borrowers, but bad for lenders and especially bad for savers. It's not actually worth socking money away these days. One gets the feeling that the ECB are currently a lot like those lads in Ukraine who yeeted all the control rods from a nuclear reactor to try and restart it - even though some unknown factor had critically poisoned it.

Anyway - the purpose of raising interest rates is to prevent a bubble from forming - bubbles in general are bad things because bubbles always burst and fuck everyone over

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
I don't disagree Dartz, and a runaway economy can end up just as bad as a choked one, but the problem is that as much as they are trying to act as a throttle governor for the economy, they have historically and systematically been wrong in their decisions time after time to the detriment of the country and its economy.

Note, I am not picking on this current group so much as the institution itself, they have pretty much all screwed the proverbial pooch
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd