Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sad Fox news
Sad Fox news
My mother is not doing well at all.

She's been told that her congestive heart failure won't get better and that she can have 2 more years dealing with the stresses, both on herself and her family, of dialysis... or die on her own terms in about 2 weeks.

She's chosen the latter. Her transplant doctor/nephrologist basically told her that her passing is likely to be one of the gentler ways to go. But she's still going, and I'm going to miss her terribly.

And... one of her favorite covers:

RE: Sad Fox news
Aw, crap....  All I can offer is sympathy.  No words of wisdom.  Damn it.
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
Ah, jeeze, that sucks to hear. But speaking as one who watched his mother linger as dementia slowly took her, there is no small virtue in her choice, as hard as it must have been.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
That sucks, and I wish you didn't have to go through it.
-Now available with copious trivia!
My sympathies, FB. Everything else I want to say sounds trite when I read it back off the screen, so I'll leave it at that.
--
‎noli esse culus
For what little comfort this might give: Your mother is fortunate in that she will be ending her life on her own terms in her own way - very few people get that option.

And, yes, you're going to miss her terribly... and you will continue missing her for as long as you remember her. Trust me on this one. And remember her.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
My sympathies.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
I'm both echoing everyone else and saying enjoy what time you can with her. My mother went the same way, not that the idiot doctors could recognize it. Gods be with you my friend.
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

Can't add much beyond what everyone else has already said, I'm sorry you gotta go through this Fox but I'd like to echo what others have said that its a small boon that your mom at least has this choice.

Gorram it Fox! what really hurts my soul here is that I have seen both sides of that equation and as much as I want MY mom to fight as long as possible, I can totally support your mom's choice.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
Been there with my grandmother. My sympathies.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
I can’t add much that anyone else hasn’t said already. But yes, ending things on your own terms and forewarned is about as much consideration as death will allow. She has the grace to let go. May you find the grace and strength to let her.
I'm really sorry for what this is and will mean for you, but for what it's worth, we'll all be here for you too. My sympathies for your ordeal. Sad
My condolences, Fox.
I'm sorry Fox. I wish there was something I could say, but I'd only be trying to add a silver lining.

But all the same, we're here if you ever need to vent.
Pre-emptive condolences.
Being able to choose how to die is a blessing.  Not the one we want, but at least it means one gets choice until the end.

A couple years back, my grandmother was moved into assisted living for various reasons, and no longer living with her family, she went downhill pretty fast.  In a few months, she went from playing cards to not really responsive.  Mama and I flew out to Tulsa to and spent a few hours over a couple days at her side.  We couldn't really have a conversation with her, but just be companionable.  The time came to say our goodbyes, and we flew back home; by the time the plane landed, Grandmother had passed on.  I wish we had visited sooner, but I think somehow, she was able to choose when she let go.  At age 101 it's hard to call it a tragedy, but a little blessing makes it hurt just a little less.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto