Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So I guess State's Rights don't count for much...
So I guess State's Rights don't count for much...
...Which is awfully rich coming from Trump, who is supposedly all for State's Rights.  I guess it only applies to the rights that the Republicans favor.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/autos/t...s-n1055811
RE: So I guess State's Rights don't count for much...
All "states' rights" arguments are basically made by people who people who are currently losing at the national level.  Nothing to see here.

There are a bunch of much deeper issues at play here.  One is that the law says that the EPA "shall grant the waiver" to California.  There's no real wiggle room, but because of their majority on the Supreme Court, they think they can win anyway.

Another one is the timing.  They're hoping that this can make it to the Supreme Court before the end of Trump's first (and only) term, so that this can become the new policy.  But you know, it's too freaking late.  He's only got 15 months of being President left -- do they really think they can get it through the courts that fast?  These people are just bad at making policy.

Another is that the Trump EPA has basically gone all-in against the Air Resources Board.  Mary Nichols has been the head of CARB for over 20 years, appointed by Republican and Democratic governors.  And wow do they hate her for that.  But directly taking on the most senior bureaucrat in the most powerful state?  Good luck with that.

And of course let's talk about how Trump got embarrassed.  Four automakers announced a deal with California for stricter air quality standards, when the EPA was trying to lower the standards.  They got super mad.  They had the Justice Department open an antitrust inquiry into California, claiming that they colluded with automakers to harm competition in the auto industry.  So now there is an active criminal investigation into California and its stakeholders for negotiating public policy.  As I said, all-in.

All of this adds up to, in my mind, that the Trump EPA leadership are complete fucking morons.  Like how on earth are they going to win these things?  Sure they have the power to do some of these things, in theory.  Seriously guys, go ask Chris Christie how it worked out when he used his power to close a bridge.  You're still talking to him, right?

And let me get back to weakening auto emissions rules.  Like, you know how many thousands of people die from air pollution every year, right?  Trump sure likes murdering Americans.  That's what it's called when you ignore the law and people get killed from your actions: murder.

Also Trump's making noise about rounding up all of the homeless in California and sending them to camps.  Is it because he cares about solving our housing crisis or anything?  No.  He just wants to embarrass California, using the only way he knows how: telling other people to do things and threats of violence.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto