[Situation Vacant] Reactor Chief Engineer
RE: [Situation Vacant] Reactor Chief Engineer
Dialing your X at Stupid O'Clock in the morning

------

“Hey?-----How ya doin? It’s been a while?”

“It has” —-- “I’m on the right side of the ground.”

“That’s always a start,”

“What’ve you been doing?”

“Well yeah I got the Cat running and I got the permits from the city at last - so it seems my Aunt’s family name still carries some weight with the mayor’s office.” —--- “Actually kind of surprised I didn’t hear from you before now.”

“I couldn’t think of anything to say,”

“We were going out for ten years. I would’ve thought…”

“I wanted to be friends, but I didn’t want to be the friend who only called up when had the world to unload. It’s been tough.”

“I read about the accident” —--- “And Mackie. I’m sorry - by the time I got the news, everything had moved on and I didn’t want to re-open a wound like that.”

“There’s more to it, that you don’t know about” —--- “And that I can’t talk about right now, but I appreciate it.”

“I don’t think you wanted to catch up thought….”

“I just needed to talk to someone - I guess. Someone who had a different perspective - who was outside the flow of things. Everyone else is caught up in it all. And you’ve been on the ground for a year.”

“Alright. What’s the problem?”

“I’m stuck into something that’s forcing me to go one way, with an end that I don’t want to go to, but is going to happen anyway. Like being in quicksand - where every choice I make, will just make everything worse in a way I can’t deal with. There’s no good ending, just different shades of bad and I can’t see a way out of it.”

“You’re not thinking of hurting yourself, are you?” —------------------“Jet?” —----------- “Or harming yourself?”

“I didn’t realise it, until you said it”------------------- “If I burn out, or have a bad accident, it stops. I’m out, it all stops before everything goes bad.”

“I’m glad you spoke to someone, at least” —---- “I wish it wasn’t me this early in the morning but goddamn I wanted to hear from you. And I still want to hear from you”

“I still have to figure out how to stop all this.”

“You stop, and figure it out afterwards.”-------- “And this from the person who’se known for figuring out how to land, after she jumps”

“I suppose your right. You always had a better head for this sort of stuff.”

“I guess I grew up with feelings.” —------------”I need you to tell me you’re not going to hurt yourself”

“I’m alright right now.”

“Promise me you’re not going to hurt yourself.”

“I promise I won’t hurt myself.”

“Thanks.”

“Maybe if you’re up in the near future, you could stop by for coffee. There’s a lot of cool stuff we’ve started.”

“It’d be nice to talk again. About better things.”

“I’d like that.”

“Later Jet.”

“Later….”

------

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Situation Vacant] Reactor Chief Engineer - by Dartz - 02-14-2022, 06:15 PM