Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Situation Vacant] Reactor Chief Engineer
RE: [Situation Vacant] Reactor Chief Engineer
In: Boards >> System >> News >> Current Events
From: Needtocomeupwithaname (Fenspace Gargoyle) (Original Poster)
Posted on October 11th, 2025: Friggan fallout pt4

Alright. So in summary, so far we have.

• Nothing Happened at ALL
• There was an incident - don’t worry about it
• There was an accident - these heroes prevented a disaster
• There was an explosion - it was operator error
• There was an explosion - it was a control system error
• There was an explosion - the government’s at fault for not funding more modern reactors
• There was an explosion - it was contained in the containment of the reactor
• There was an explosion - there was a minor radiation leak.
• There was an explosion - 65535 nanosieverts is as high as the dosimeters ever read.
• There was an explosion - and radioactive smoke entered the public spaces but nobody was contaminated
• There was an explosion - but decontamination of public spaces was effective
• There is some mild contamination - we are looking at blasting a new main hangar in the future.
• The explosion was caused by a flash fire inside the reactor caused by a water tube leak inside a molten lithium chamber.
• The explosion was caused by a flash nuclear reaction inside the lithium breeder blanket when the core liner broke apart due to thermal shock.
• The explosion was caused by a flash nuclear explosion in the depleted Uranium we’d stuck inside the reactor to try hybridise it, when the core liner broke apart due to thermal shock.
• The explosion was caused by a flash nuclear explosion in the depleted Uranium we’d stuck inside the reactor to try hybridise it - because the government wouldn’t fund the upgrades we needed so we improvised.
• We stuck the depleted Uranium in the reactor to get more power out of it rather than build a whole new power core.
• We’re building new reactors to overcome a power deficit - the design is a safe, natural uranium and graphite design.
• We’re building new reactors to overcome a power deficit - there have been no reported core damage events with this reactor design in 30 years.
• We’ve modified the reactor design to be absolutely safe - because the core damage incident 31 years ago was a doozy.
• These RBMK reactors definitely, totally won’t explode. (And we’re sure of that because physics says so).
• And now, today’s releases; This was actually all underway on some level even before the Crystal Millennium Borged Frigga - they just didn’t know at the time because lol secret.
• And, we’ve been trying to hide a secret program to cook Uranium into mixed oxides to fuel the next generation Blackbird engines and we didn’t want the Boskone to find out and blow it up. (Oh, by the way, put some Moxxie in your Blackbird!)

My God. I think, finally we might actually be at the end of it.

Hopefully.

Figuring out what she’s up to is like trying to piece together an original novel solely by reading the fanfiction of the television adaptation. We still don’t know how this relates to Lun and the Gate Metal fiasco.

But the generally effect seems to be to make The Convention as a whole - and Her Majesty’s Government in particular - just give up on ever knowing what the fuck is going on, so they give up on trying to stop it.

For more of the wilder theorisation, go to Boards >> Misc >> Conspiracies. There’s a whole topic on using the reactors to make Gate Metal precursors that almost seems plausible.

>>Quote: Black_Amethyst Posted: “The only acceptable result of this is the Immediate removal of the Councilors from office.”

You’re forgetting the background here - the whole election fiasco that led to the ‘Baron Frigga’ in the first place. Simply removing the Station Council - even with cause - will probably break whatever relationship Frigga has with Venus. Nobody living on the station will ever trust the parliament in Venus ever again.

And this hearing isn’t likely to change the perception of the station council. They are generally fairly popular among people living there. Most are engineers, team leaders, or business owners.

And they’re popular because they’re doing exactly what’s expected of local government leaders:
–Keep the lights on
–Grow the local economy
–Create opportunities for people to do shit to make their lives better
–Be seen to give the ordinary Joe Soap a voice in a distant parliament.

This is a clusterfuck with multiple participants. The reality is, this all began with Her Majesty’s Government’s initial Rules At All Costs approach - even when the situation that existed at the time was clearly outside those rules.

It has been exacerbated by Frigga’s tendency to both treat the rules as ‘Guidelines’ and as something that will be used to punish them when things go wrong rather than as a framework for a fair and equitable government.

This tribunal is Her Majesty’s Government’s best effort at - at least - understanding just what the fuck happened here and why and - more importantly - if there’s a risk of it ever happening again. Frigga doesn’t trust this - for reasons that should be obvious.

The truth is, I don’t expect there to be any harsh consequences for those involved - beyond some form of administrative yellow card - a warning not to do this sort of thing again.

>>Quote: Sokitumi Posted: “Her Majesty’s Government needs to understand Frigga is an equal member and not Colony.”

This is the exact sort of thought ending rhetoric that causes a problem and amplifies the antagonism, both here, on Venus and on Frigga.

The only way out of this is to work to create a level of trust and cooperation between the Council of Frigga, and the Parliament of Venus so that accidents like this can be openly discussed.

Frigga needs to be open with Her Majesty’s Government on its goals, objectives and what it’s actually doing rather than hiding everything embarrassing from ‘Big Sister’. Frigga needs to create an environment where Her Majesty’s Government can trust what the Council states is happening on Frigga reflects the reality of what’s happening on Frigga, and that it can follow the rules it agreed to when it acceded to the Crystal Millennium

Her Majesty’s Government needs to create an environment where it’s OK to ask for help and where Frigga can expect some level of support towards growing as a settlement in the belt, without the hammer falling down the moment something goes wrong. Trust is a two way street.

In short, both parties need to grow the fuck up, get some cop on, and act like adults rather than kids running a college anime convention.

>>Poster Black_Amethyst I.P. Address: 87.245.195.192.
>>Poster Sokitumi I.P. Address: 88.86.93.170

Chelyabinsk? Kostroma? Why am I not surprised? Ivan forgot his VPN again.

This is how mundane governments mess with us. It’s the corrosion of the ties between us that weakens us. Eventually, they’ll slip their own stooges in and, right under your nose, you’ll become their agents without even knowing it.

Hopefully, both parties in this will be able to sit down and deal with this like the grownups they’re pretending to be.

-----------------

(And now we've taken the powdered horse bones, mixed it with concrete and aggregate and cast it in the form of the horse the was - and commenced beating that)

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Situation Vacant] Reactor Chief Engineer - by Dartz - 08-20-2022, 05:44 PM