Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 2020 'Scream About The Weather' Thread
The 2020 'Scream About The Weather' Thread
Whelp, the Australian military is carrying out the largest evacuation in Australian history to the east of us. Local weather's shifted to a sudden drop in temp again, but that'll last a few days at most, I suspect.
RE: The 2020 'Scream About The Weather' Thread
Two fires broke out a bit to the north of here. Listed as under control, but I'll be watching things very closely...
They are FIRES, MD. Don't be afraid to run at ANY hint they are turning south. *grrr*
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
(01-04-2020, 02:49 AM)Star Ranger4 Wrote: They are FIRES, MD.  Don't be afraid to run at ANY hint they are turning south.  *grrr*

Amen. The entire east third of the state is in the 'It Is Too Late To Evacuate' category. Bugout bag is packed and ready.
Good.

If it wasn't for the fact that I have no idea where you can bugout to, I'd be suggesting you bugout now.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Local fires were small and contained within hours. Hell is still well east of us, in the eastern third of the state (I'm on the western side of the middle third). There's a few smaller crisis zones, but nothing that's any risk to me. As for bugout options, I have several in several different directions.
...I finally psyched myself up and looked at the maps. Words fail, and I can see why evacuations were impossible in some cases, there wasn't anywhere people could go that was guaranteed to not be in the potential path of a fast moving inferno. It's any wonder how the hells your PM is being as dense as he is under the circumstances, this should be at best career ending the way he's been publicly handling it.

I spent two years in Australia from '82-'84 (Woomera in South Australia), and I've been finally playing Forza Horizon 3 this month (set in a condensed, rearranged New South Wales), and it's heartbreaking to see the sheer scale of this on top of everything else that's been going on.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
(01-04-2020, 12:15 PM)LynnInDenver Wrote: ...I finally psyched myself up and looked at the maps. Words fail, and I can see why evacuations were impossible in some cases, there wasn't anywhere people could go that was guaranteed to not be in the potential path of a fast moving inferno.

Yeah, a lot of routes were cut off, but thankfully the army has stepped up to assist in disaster relief by air and sea, at least in Victoria. Up in NSW, state and federal politics is still colliding in a scary way.

Also, the state premiers office confirmed a few hours ago that 22 of the 28 people missing as of yesterday have been located alive, so small miracles there.

Quote:It's any wonder how the hells your PM is being as dense as he is under the circumstances, this should be at best career ending the way he's been publicly handling it.

He's a religious cultist, whores himself out to the coal industry, and once spent $190,000 of taxpayers money on empathy training, which clearly failed). The only reason he's gotten anywhere near authority is because his attitudes go very nicely with the increasingly right-wing views of the Australian Liberal Party, and the always right-wing, always monstrous attitudes of Murdoch media. The scary thing is, his most likely replacements for the job are potentially even worse.
The reason the PM is in power is because Murdoch. But that's brushing into politics.

The NSW bushfires are affecting the air quality in Canberra. Just a little.

As for myself I'm currently in QLD, about 1,000 km north of Brisbane. I had fires come near me (about 20kms away) last season.

Even though its the wrong half of the state MD, keep safe.
(01-05-2020, 05:58 AM)Shader Wrote: Even though its the wrong half of the state MD, keep safe.

Local fires were dealt with, helped by a 15 degree temp drop and rain with little wind today. Slightly less butt puckering now.
As a Californian, I feel for you.  It will probably take months for the smell of smoke to clear; it did here.  Two years ago at this time, we finally got the rainstorm to put out the fire near my city.  We've since had other large fires nearby, but this year the rains decided to come before the winter solstice.  Safe for now.

But yeah, the world is on fire.  Good luck everyone, it's coming for you too.

Shader Wrote:The NSW bushfires are affecting the air quality in Canberra. Just a little.

Three days later on a live feed... that's sure an interesting color sky you've got there.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(01-08-2020, 05:17 AM)Labster Wrote:
Shader Wrote:The NSW bushfires are affecting the air quality in Canberra. Just a little.

Three days later on a live feed... that's sure an interesting color sky you've got there.

Heh... The sky has actually improved. Smile 

I meant to post a news article about the air quality on that day. Link

And we just had two cyclones. One to the west and one in the north. No where near the fires where the rain is needed. Aussie weather is ... borked.
I just spent ten minutes reading the commentary at today's Irregular Webcomic. That brings the matter home for me in a way the news reports can't.

And I really wish we could send some of our weather your way, or at least average out yours and ours. (The forecast for tonight here is a low of -19C.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yeah, I just read the same. David Morgan-Mar doing a straight-up political cartoon is crossing a new threshold. (I think the Allosaurus is more goofy than political.)
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
... the most frightening thing to me at the moment is how californian radio broadcasters seem to be poking fun at our state (region/???) decision to send trained personnel to help fight it. Considering the way California fights this kind of fire at least once a year?

No. Not correct. The sort of fires described would be swallowing the whole state.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
So, a heat spike expected over the weekend didn't get as bad as expected, and after days of smoke to the point I felt like I had an icepick reaching from my eye to my ear, the sky briefly fell in an impressive thunderstorm... Which probably ignited something... *Checks warning app* OH FUCK OFF!
Uh... that doesn't sound good. You gonna be aright over there?
--
‎noli esse culus
(01-15-2020, 03:02 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: Uh... that doesn't sound good. You gonna be aright over there?

Grassland a few blocks away got ignited. It's already out, but come on!
Yikes! Well, at least it did get extinguished quickly this time, right?
--
‎noli esse culus
(01-15-2020, 04:15 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: Yikes! Well, at least it did get extinguished quickly this time, right?

Yeah, my cursing was more for comedies sake, as the threat of lightning strike ignitions only occurred to me as I was typing that first post.
At least a thunderstorm comes with a bit of rain?

Not that it'd help much, but upsides.
Ottawa has a frostbite warning for the weekend, and Newfoundland is expecting 60-70 cm of snow with 140 km/h winds.

For us, this is Tuesday Friday.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
We've had spring weather, 50s-60s F, since Saturday, here in New Jersey.

So of course it's going down to 18F tonight.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
For the past week it’s been as if the Puget Sound has express air shipped their weather down here to South Texas. Some of my passengers are a bit taken aback when I tell hem it’s like this all the time overs there, except in summer.

Although, this being Texas, it has the added effect of lethal amounts of fog.

How is it lethal?

You try driving in that soup and tell me. Just today in the wee hours of the morning, some gorram idiot rolled their minivan on the ramp going from Eastbound I-10 to Loop 410. They probably missed the ramp in the fog, and tried for one of those batshit crazy dives for the exit. With the roads being as wet as they are, you can guess what happened next.
(01-16-2020, 07:46 PM)robkelk Wrote: Ottawa has a frostbite warning for the weekend, and Newfoundland is expecting 60-70 cm of snow with 140 km/h winds.

For us, this is Tuesday Friday.

Newfoundland is getting more snow and stronger winds than was forecast. This is no longer Tuesday - this is a state of emergency. St. John's is closed - the situation is not "if you don't have to be out, stay home", it's "get off the roads and stay where you are right fucking now". People cannot see their next-door neighbours' houses because of the snow. Snow plows have been ordered off the roads because the snow is so bad.

Quote:Saturday afternoon will be a good window for those attempting to dig out, with winds expecting to hover around 80 km/h.

EDIT: Ottawa? Yeah, it's cold. And we're expecting a mild blizzard over the weekend. But the Rideau Canal Skateway opens tomorrow!
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown