Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just because you can compile something for a platform doesn't mean you should
RE: Just because you can compile something for a platform doesn't mean you should
I dunno.  I think there's something to be said about being able to run apps with modern coding in Windows 3.11.

Think about it.  By this time, 3.11+DOS probably has about the same overhead on a modern computer that Damn Small Linux does.  Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration, but still, you get the idea.

Just imagine that you need to do something that needs a serious number crunch like a big render job, and the renderer just happens to be in this backwards compatible .NET language.  Reboot into your boot loader and boot up a DOS+Win3.11 partition, then sit back and watch it burn through that job with the extra CPU cycles and memory bandwidth that a late-version Windows OS isn't taking up.

I'd especially love to see a setup like this running on some of the new stuff that AMD has been pumping out ever since Threadripper stole the show.

Come to think of it, I'd wager that Microsoft could probably benefit from taking the old Windows 3.11, and reworking it so it could properly run on modern 64-bit architecture.

Call it something like Windows Basic or Windows Retro - just a very bare-bones Windows OS that is capable of running modern apps and fully leveraging current hardware.  Only for the serious power-users and utilitarians that actually need to squeeze every last flop they can get out of their machines.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Just because you can compile something for a platform doesn't mean you should - by Black Aeronaut - 01-23-2020, 07:23 PM