Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Like to cook" - the second helping
"Like to cook" - the second helping
Old thread is still useful.

Here's an authentic Venetian recipe to kick off the second thread in style.

Last week's radio recipe is gnocchi al pesto - recipes for both the gnocchi and the pesto. The gnocchi contains egg, and the pesto contains pine nuts and cheese.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: "Like to cook" - the second helping
Looks like we missed this one the first time around, but better late than never...

Jamie Oliver's 15 Minute Meals: Sizzling Chicken Fajitas with Grilled Peppers, Salsa, Rice & Beans
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
rice and beans in 15 minutes?? (reads) Oh. heh. I like his style of cheating there.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
You know, it's about time I offered a recipe in this thread, given how much I cook.

Naturally, it's a recipe Peggy made about a week and a half ago, not something I did.

Slow cooker chicken and wild rice soup.

She made it on the stovetop instead of our crockpot, but it still came out great. Oh, and I lied, I did do part of it -- I made the roux + milk/cream mixture that goes in at the end.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
well, it works for me, Bob. always on the lookout for 'slow cooker' recipes I can 'set and forget', especially since I'm heading to florida for .... well, everyone here has been at least superficially exposed to my housing travails of 2019? So, now in 2020 anything that can stretch the food budget is welcome; that I can set at least part of it up the night before even more of a bonus?
NO QUARTER!

Glad to be of help. I should note that Peggy insists that it's not a soup, it's a stew -- she thinks it's too thick and hearty to be "just" a soup.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
In a similar vein as my single-serving, fast cheesy chicken soup from the previous thread, but not as fast, I recently found success with something broccoli based. I hope you'll forgive the less formal recipe style, I'm not as mentally organized today and it's getting on to why-am-I-still-awake-dammit o'clock in my chronic insomniac schedule.

I started with a handful of frozen florets in the bottom of the 2-cup dish, then added a heaping tablespoon or so of powdered instant mashed potato, a pat of butter to make the nutrients in the broccoli more digestively accessible, a slice of processed cheese, a teaspoon of bullion powder (chicken, but any flavor you like will do) a sprinkle each of onion powder, garlic powder, and ground black pepper, and... Hard to say, probably another tablespoon of shredded dry seaweed - I pull the wad of it part way out of the bag and cut it off as confetti with my kitchen shears, basically. This is the thin kind intended to stay in the soup, not the big thick kelp slices you're meant to boil in the stock and then take out, but I don't like even it intact as chewy, rubbery noodle-things, just the flavour it adds.

Enough boiling water to cover everything (leaving the dish about half full to prevent boiling over) was then added and stirred a bit to mix things up before putting it in to microwave for six minutes. (Broccoli takes a relatively long time to cook decwntly soft.) After stirring again I gave it another two, at which point it was nicely boiling, so I dropped in an egg and stabbed the yolk to break it, but did NOT stir so it stayed mostly intact and just solidified with one last minute of nuking. Then I stirred a bunch to break up the cooked egg, and added more hot water to fill out the volume. A few crackers and it's good to go in under ten minutes, including prep and cleanup, which is just the dish and eggshell since everything else is dry or frozen.
--
‎noli esse culus
Oh, trust me CD. I know where you are coming from on the WTF am I still awake O'clock thing.

Oh, and Bob? Tell Peggy I get where she is coming from. I call that sort of dish a Stoup, myself. Cause... yeah. Made more than a few of those, too thick to be a soup, maybe to thin to be a stew.
NO QUARTER!

(02-21-2020, 12:18 PM)Star Ranger4 Wrote: Oh, trust me CD. I know where you are coming from on the WTF am I still awake O'clock thing.

Oh, and Bob?  Tell Peggy I get where she is coming from.  I call that sort of dish a Stoup, myself.  Cause... yeah.  Made more than a few of those, too thick to be a soup, maybe to thin to be a stew.

I am reminded of the late-70s/early-80s ads for Chunky Soup, at least in Canada: "Use the fork, Luke!" (Yes, they did really go there.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Last week's radio recipe is a money-saver, for carrot-orange soup. Vegetarian if you use vegetable stock and oil instead of chicken stock and butter.

Includes tips on turning carrot greens into pesto, and how to make croutons from "older" bread.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
It's Fat Tuesday, Shrove Tuesday, or in some places Pancake Tuesday. Have some pancakes.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oh, wow, it is, isn't it? That reminds me of an old favorite restaurant near where I worked for some years in New York City, Tuesday's, which was atop the jazz club Fat Tuesday's. (Dammit. Wikipedia tells me Tuesday's -- and probably the club too, if I read that right -- are both no longer in operation. So much for that embryonic "hey, why don't we..." idea I was coming up with.)
-- Bob

Sounds like it. I've not exactly gotten into that whole thing. we do do pancakes on shrove tuesday, but that is because the church my mom plays for does pancake dinner as a fundraiser.
NO QUARTER!

Re: heavy/thick soups.

Try snert (Dutch pea soup). If you can't stand your spoon in it, you are definitely doing it wrong.

Also, it's pretty hearty between the peas and fatty smoked sausage, so...
8 replacements for all-purpose flour

(Yes, I know it says 7. I know how to count.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Last week's radio recipe is Peruvian: Ceviche Mixto

Contains fish and cilantro.

EDIT: Hmmmmm... the recipe calls for "high quality fish filets such as halibut, mahi mahi or tilapia". I have pickerel filets at the moment. I wonder whether that would work.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
If you're a fan of gyudon: Five-minute beef bowl
-- Bob

Last week's radio recipe is baharat spiced chicken saj wrap.

Includes recipes for garlic sauce and sumac onions.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Looks like we're not getting radio recipes during the pandemic. Which makes sense; it would be foolhardy if not criminal to have two people in a radio studio right now.

So, have an analysis piece: Here's why everyone you know is baking bread in quarantine
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Peggy was just suggesting we pull our bread machine out of the cabinet where it's been lurking for ten years, since we have a good ten or so pounds of flour (and all the other ingredients) in the kitchen.

Me, I want to make english muffins.
-- Bob

Alto brown has a whole episode about sourdough stuff, including how to start your starter on Good Eats Reloaded, on youtube tv
NO QUARTER!

TV recipes this time, from the Great Canadian Baking Show. (Reruns, but I didn't post them the first time around.)

Including Montreal Bagels, Parsnip Crackers and Eggplant Dip, Salmon Pie, Crème Caramel, Marjolaine, and Strawberry Cream Puffs.

And a debate about "the most divisive question in Canadian pastry": Should you put raisins in a butter tart? (I'm on the "yes" side of this debate, myself - I find the butter-sugar filling gets too cloying for my tastes if raisins or pecans aren't mixed in.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Quebec's public health director, Dr. Horacio Arruda, likes Portuguese Custard Tarts - which inspired Lesley Chesterman to post a recipe for them.

Portuguese Custard Tarts. Contains butter and egg yolks.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
How to make sourdough bread using homemade yeast starter
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Regrow vegetables from the parts you might have thrown out

Mostly sprouts and greens, but scallions are on the list, too.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown