Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer Advice Request
Computer Advice Request
I recently got a brand spanking new computer. Runs Windows 10, for compatability sake. And, unsuprisingly, it has a couple of little quirks that are REALLY REALLY annoying. And googling as not given me the answers.

1) I can't get the monitor out of sleep mode. Even mashing keyboard buttons, moving the mouse AND turning it off and on again doesn't work. I have to reset the entire computer. I've "solevd" this by telling the computer to never put the monitor to sleep. Is there a better solution.

2) It takes longer for the router to boot up than the computer. so the computer, bless it's idiotic little brain, starts trying to diagnose the connection problem automatically. How do I stop it from running "troubleshooting" automatically.
RE: Computer Advice Request
RE - Monitor: Is the monitor yours or did you get it with the computer. If it is an old monitor it may be a driver issue.

For the automatic troubleshooting issue I found these steps:

Change Recommended Troubleshooting Settings in Settings

1 Open Settings, and click/tap on the Privacy icon.

2 Click/tap on Diagnostics & Feedback on the left side, and select the Recommended troubleshooting setting you want in the drop menu on the right side.

3 You can now close Settings.

Hope this helps.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
(02-27-2020, 03:25 PM)SilverFang01 Wrote: RE - Monitor: Is the monitor yours or did you get it with the computer. If it is an old monitor it may be a driver issue.

For the automatic troubleshooting issue I found these steps:

Change Recommended Troubleshooting Settings in Settings

1 Open Settings, and click/tap on the Privacy icon.

2 Click/tap on Diagnostics & Feedback on the left side, and select the Recommended troubleshooting setting you want in the drop menu on the right side.

3 You can now close Settings.

Hope this helps.

It's a new monitor, but bought separately. As fas as I can tell the graphics card is just not outputting anything - I get "no signal" briefly when I turn to monitor off and on again.

Is there any way to stop one particular search for a non existant problem? It's currently on "ask me before fixing", which is as far as I want to go, the bottom level seems too poor a service.

P.S. There's something sad about disassembling (I've just taken out the disc drives to destroy.) a computer (the one before last) that's served you well for many years. Even if it's spent years sitting in a cupboard.
This page describes a way to disable it completely. https://winaero.com/blog/disable-recomme...indows-10/

With regards to the monitor, sorry I could not be of more help.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
For the router, why turn it off in the first place? They're designed for constant service anyway.

I have no idea on the monitor problem, sorry. Well, I'm assuming you already tried googling about it and your video card with the brands & models, but that's all I'd be able to do myself.
--
‎noli esse culus
(02-27-2020, 08:37 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: For the router, why turn it off in the first place? They're designed for constant service anyway.

Basically because it's on the same socket as everything else I want off when I'm not using the computer (monitor, speakers, formerly a printer).
That just pushes the question back by one switch, though... I mean, I guess there's a small amount of energy savings by turning them off at the socket instead of leaving them plugged in, but there's a perfectly good power switch on the face of any monitor or CPU I've ever seen just for the purpose. At worst, on a thin-frame HDMI TV being used as a monitor, you do a Vulcan neck-pinch in the right spot to squeeze the power button set on the back side of it instead of fumbling with the remote.

Eh, that's up to you I guess; what it comes down to is that if you're stuck on Windows and on turning the router off, you're probably stuck with either the stupid 'doze troubleshooter running or turning on the router a minute or two before the computer to give it time to boot up.
--
‎noli esse culus