Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI
Welp, he replied.
Quote:I have just read your message, and I apologize for the legal issue I've caused with my uploads. You can delete my uploaded images for now
Translation: I can't be bothered with actually picking a choice off a dropdown or typing a dozen characters into an edit box right now.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Showing Itasio how it's done with Mahoromatic, eh, Rob?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
And I'm looking at the pages he's modifying in an attempt to code up all the trope links. He's leaving in place anything from TVT that we don't have, but he's also not bothering to look for (or fix) anything he's misspelled or miscapitalized. He's also leaving off all page markup. Gah.

And on top of that, the wiki just flung a brand new "Everything's Fucked Up!" error at me:
Quote:Sorry! This site is experiencing technical difficulties.
Try waiting a few minutes and reloading. For more information on this error please check out our twitter page (Twitter.com/Miraheze) or contact the system administrators by connecting to #miraheze on irc.freenode.net

(Cannot access the database: Cannot access the database: Unknown error (dbt1.miraheze.org))

Edit: And a couple minutes later it's transitioned to the traditional 503 -- your sign of quality website dysfunction!
-- Bob

(04-21-2020, 03:38 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Showing Itasio how it's done with Mahoromatic, eh, Rob?

Yep. (And I needed most of the writeups for There's Nothing Better.)

At least I got the ATT work done before the 503s started. (Not the TNB work, though.)
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Okay, whatever it is that started sending out emails for page changes, it's got to be on the Miraheze level and not just ATT. Because I just got an email for a page change on the "There's Nothing Better" wiki, which I haven't looked at in months.
-- Bob

Since it's come up...

Links to https://tvtropes.org are historical or comparative, and should remain.

Links to http://tvtropes.org need to be checked to ensure they aren't linking to tropes that we have on ATT.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Ah, jeeze, I'm not even done with the Works pages without tropelist markup yet.

EDIT: Annoyingly, just searching on "tvtropes.org" in the search box turns up something like two or three results, not that mess.
-- Bob

When you search for a string, you don't get anything that's been potholed ... and our style guide says to pothole external links.

You have to use the external Links Search to find all the links.

EDIT: And there's only a couple hundred of these. I can take care of them over a week or so.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Nah, no problem. We're down to 79 already.

EDIT: And I didn't realize that the basic search didn't look at source, at least as far as links were concerned.
-- Bob

Do we really not have this trope?

I've looked through Category:Dating Tropes. I've looked through Category:Sex Tropes.

But I can't find a trope for somebody who's a boy-chaser - somebody who'll go after anybody who fits into a particular group.

"Really Gets Around" isn't it, since that specifically says the chaser wants sex. What I'm looking for is more a PG version of that trope. Do we already have it?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
ah, like Sailor Jupiter in Sailor Moon.

Is there any tropes named 'boy crazy' or something similar?
Apparently not. Nor the gender-flipped version. Something to throw into the Workshop.
-- Bob

It's March 24 - time to review the no-anonymous-edits decision.

I've proposed that, if we keep the restriction, we review every three months unless asked to review sooner, instead of every month.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(03-28-2020, 11:54 AM)robkelk Wrote: I just had a thought...

Category:Source says in part:
Quote:Works distributable under free content licenses such as fanfiction with clearly defined licenses may also be put on these pages, but must contain clear copyright notices for whatever license applies to the work on every page.

I know of one work that qualifies under that description - this very forum is named after it - but it's written by an admin who isn't me so I don't know whether I should post it to ATT.

(03-28-2020, 02:30 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: You could just ask, you know...

I have no problems with DW and its affiliated works being posted to the wiki, as long as they're kept up to date and I'm not the one responsible for it. <grin>

I was all set to start this, then I noticed this comment of mine from a couple of years ago. On one hand, the reasoning in that thread still applies. On the other hand, that was a comment about works being written on ATT, not works written elsewhere that have existing Work pages. On the gripping hand, there have been Work pages for things that hadn't actually been written (and probably had the words "pretty" and "cure" in their titles), so a blanket rule would have to be phrased very carefully.

So... Do we accept fan works as Source subpages, or not? Completed works only, maybe?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(04-23-2020, 08:58 AM)robkelk Wrote: Links to http://tvtropes.org need to be checked to ensure they aren't linking to tropes that we have on ATT.

All done.  One, however, remains: the user page for Damian Yerrick appears to have some kind of hidden text that I can't get at with either the regular page editor or Special:EditProfile.  Wherever it is, though, it doesn't get rendered into the page, because no TVT link shows up in the page source.

EDIT: While looking for links to this website just for fun, I noticed there's a similar thing going on with the user page of Tennessean. What's going on here?
-- Bob

We just got another drive-by edit by an obsessed Pretty Cure fan. They registered under the name of their bogus anime du jour -- Ultra the Series -- and dumped a works page for it into the User page. I've moved the page to their sandbox and removed the works template from it so it doesn't show up with the real works.

This is probably the same person as Friendship is Happniess, who tried to dump a blatantly false work page into the main namespace last week.

I want to raise the question of a policy for wonks like this. FIH was especially problematic because they attributed their bogus movie to a real person (who of course never worked on anything resembling it).

Are we justified in banning someone who is misusing the user namespace to try to post these fake work entries?
-- Bob

We have said, many times in many places, that All The Tropes is intended to serve not only as a fan site but also as a writer's resource and an encyclopedia. And it's that "encyclopedia" part that lets us invoke Fair Use as a justification for using copyrighted images.

Adding to the wiki something that the editor knows is misinformation makes the "writer's resource" status less reliable and puts the "encyclopedia" status at risk.

Best to nip such things in the bud, IMHO. Don't put the wiki as a whole at risk just because somebody wants to have a bit of fun. And "putting the wiki as a whole at risk" is already on the list of bannable offences.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Something for mods only. The dropdown list of reasons to block a troper now has a (one-item) list of uncommon block reasons in addition to the list of common block reasons.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Here's hoping I don't need to turn this talk page entry into a boilerplate.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
We don't have any policy regarding acceptable user names, do we? (EDIT: I'm not sure whether I want one... but sometimes I wouldn't mind being outvoted.)

I noticed the name created at 2020-04-28T01:24:02 - yeah, the one that's four one-syllable words in all caps with no spaces
https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Special:Lo...r=&subtype=

With that particular name, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some vandalism coming...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yeah, I noticed them last night and had the exact same thought. I'm surprised, though... usually the vandalism comes as soon as the account registers.

EDIT: And looking at your link, I realized that the user with the obsession with bogus PreCure series had created two other accounts within ten minutes of "Ultra the Series", with the comment "I'm angry". Fortunately, the blocking mechanism recognized them as Ultra and automatically blocked them when I blocked Ultra.
-- Bob

(04-24-2020, 07:41 AM)robkelk Wrote: It's March 24 - time to review the no-anonymous-edits decision.

I've proposed that, if we keep the restriction, we review every three months unless asked to review sooner, instead of every month.

Four days and only Bob has commented. I'll give it a week.

If we don't get any other comments by Friday, I'll set the banner for "review in three months", but in three months I'll propose making the restriction permanent until somebody complains instead of reviewing it periodically.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I still haven't seen any of the post-Disney-purchase Star Wars properties (by choice).

Does this trope apply to The Mandalorian?

(EDIT: for that matter, why don't we have a page for The Mandalorian? Obviously I can't write one, but some Troper must have seen the show by now...)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Despite the MCU stuff that's going to be on it, we have yet to subscribe to Disney+, so I am unqualified.
-- Bob

Oh, yes, that trope does apply to The Mandalorian.

Also, it's a very well written series. It's worth watching even if you ignore the latest trilogy and other offshoots.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor