Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI
I discovered a wonderful thing: Offline browsing of All The Tropes without setting up a local version of MediaWiki!

Courtesy of this:

https://www.kiwix.org/en/

It's not perfect. The ZIM file format and the limitations of how it saves pages mean certain things like category redirects and certain special formatting that are plugin specific (not stock MediaWiki or are specialed HTML code) mean a few pages (mostly the front page) are a tad garbled, but it's a great and quick way to view a snapshot of our entire wiki and over 98% of our current content out of the box in a perfectly human-readable format.

They already have a quite recent ZIM backup of our entire wiki for download on their site and thus we don't need to worry about requesting one, they are interested in providing snapshots of our content (and they source them by CC BY SA appropriately) entirely on their own.

Just a heads up for anyone interested in an offline viewable version of the site, and it might be worth setting up a policy page where we discuss off-site backups and how to set them up.

In other news, I have continued to assist our True Tropes Wiki brethren (with partial assistance from the good people at our Discord, they set up a special Discord for TTT's specific needs) by integrating their Discord into their spinoff, so they can continue to improve their own fork without conflicts with us (though they are still free to have water cooler space to talk shop in a civil manner with the wider troping community on our Discord).

I hope these efforts at outreach with our TTT cousins continue to promote healthy cross-wiki cooperation and prevent further conflicts if any are extant at this time.

Messages In This Thread
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVI - by GethN7 - 06-23-2020, 05:14 AM