Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A potato is me/cheap user experience upgrades
RE: A potato is me/cheap user experience upgrades
I do actually like the Antec P5 Ultimate Silent case I ended up using - it's got nice solid construction for the most parts, and sound baffle fabric on the inner faces of the (metal! No luser window here!) sides and front door, and a plain white ring that combines power indicator and flashing brighter for disk activity is the only light on the whole thing, so no unicorn vomit either. I did need to drill out about 2/3 of the fake molded plastic intake grilles on the sides of the plastic front bezel and then fix the magnets that hold the door closed when the skinchy plastic tabs holding them broke while cleaning up from that. The thumbscrews to keep the panels on are just nylon, too, but that's also minor and if it really bothered me replacements are something like $5 for a fifty pack. It doesn't have front panel USB 3 so that connector on my mobo is sitting unused, and no feet on the side (though the ones provided to stand it upright are nice sturdy screwed-on metal cylinders with EVA foam pads on the bottom, not just rubber dots stuck on with a layer of cellotape adhesive) but those are really my only gripes about it. It does have somewhat limited cooling support, with one 120mm at the back and one 140 or two more 120s front, but even so and using the stock AMD cooler my CPU temperature is sitting at 75c right now, having been pinned at 100% for hours by Folding@Home. Not super cool as that sort of thing goes, but not bad at all. The Smelleron laptop I was using before the HDD crapped out would idle at 65c and get perilously close to 100c under prolonged load.

Oh, I realized I never mentioned the model of keyboard I got - it's a Redragon K592, in the "dark brown" keycap color with most of them being a near-black barely discernible from the frame in the eshop images and modifier keys in a lighter tone - the other, at least on Amazon, being "brown," with those reversed. They'd match a Noctua theme if that's your thing, but I suspect they were so cheap due to being an unpopular color scheme. I like it though, it's chocolate colored.
--
‎noli esse culus

Messages In This Thread
RE: A potato is me - by Jinx999 - 04-08-2020, 02:41 AM
RE: A potato is me - by classicdrogn - 04-08-2020, 05:22 AM
RE: A potato is me - by classicdrogn - 04-10-2020, 06:05 PM
RE: A potato is me - by classicdrogn - 04-12-2020, 12:02 AM
RE: A potato is me/cheap user experience upgrades - by classicdrogn - 05-11-2020, 05:49 PM