Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COVID-19 & US healthcare system - thread relapse
RE: COVID-19 & US healthcare system - thread relapse
Ireland has had 25,500 cases since February.

The USA has had over 50,000 cases since yesterday.

You are failing.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
(07-04-2020, 12:30 PM)Dartz Wrote: Ireland has had 25,500 cases since February.

You are failing.

Well, we have had no actual leadership since 2016, just a party that is working like hell to make sure that government is incapable of functioning at all because that is a core part of their political philosophy.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
I guess we've finally disproved the idea the the government that governs least governs best...
--
‎noli esse culus
(07-04-2020, 12:30 PM)Dartz Wrote: Ireland has had 25,500 cases since February.

You are failing.

"Failing"?  Au contraire.  Russia's most effective agent, T.R.U.M.P., is succeeding brilliantly in his mission to wreck beyond hope of repair the United States of America.  Whether or not he'll manage to cripple you Euros as well is still up in the air.

-----
Big Brother is watching you ... and damn, you are so bloody BORING.
I wonder if this is what it felt like to be a Roman in the early third century?
--
‎noli esse culus
One of the dumbest states is now setting records with coronavirus infections and refusing to do contact tracing:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/06/health/fl...index.html

Meanwhile in Texas:
https://twitter.com/keithboykin/status/1...85760?s=21
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
The comments in that twitter thread demonstrate just why so many people are dying or ending up crippled from this damn thing. Idiots going 'I've been ignoring personal safety since day one and I'm fine, therefore it's fake', or the asshole going 'well if 10 people needed icu beds and they only had three, where's the seven bodies?' Fucking hell.
Thought I'd compare some numbers... I was going to attach a spreadsheet, but CSV isn't an allowed file type - so copy this into a text file, save it as "cases.csv", and open it in a spreadsheet. Population numbers are from Wikipedia. Reported cases and deaths are from the national websites (links provided). Cases and deaths per 100,000 people are a matter of simple math, and are rounded to two decimal places. (EDIT: If you don't have spreadsheet software, get a free package here - Windows, Mac, and Linux versions available.)

Location,Population,Reported COVID-19 cases,COVID-19 deaths,Reported cases per 100000 people,Deaths per 100000 people,COVID-19 cases and deaths data source
USA – New Jersey,8882190,173033,15189,1948.09,171.01,https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html
USA – District of Columbia,705749,10447,557,1480.27,78.92,https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html
United Kingdom,67886004,285416,44220,420.43,65.14,https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/
United States of America,328239523,2841906,129576,865.80,39.48,https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html
The Netherlands,17418808,50273,6113,288.61,35.09,https://www.rivm.nl/en/novel-coronavirus-covid-19/current-information
USA – New Hampshire,1359711,5857,376,430.75,27.65,https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html
Ireland,6572728,25527,1741,388.38,26.49,https://www.gov.ie/en/service/0039bc-view-the-covid-19-coronavirus-dashboard-showing-the-latest-stats-and/
Canada,37971020,105536,8684,277.94,22.87,https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html
USA – Florida,21477737,187090,3702,871.09,17.24,https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html
USA - California,39512223,254745,6313,644.72,15.98,https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html
USA – Puerto Rico,3193694,7922,155,248.05,4.85,https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html
Canada – Nunavut,39486,1,0,2.53,0.00,https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
“When you are ordering people to shelter in place, you are consigning probably hundreds-of-thousands of Floridians to lose their jobs. You are throwing their lives into potential disarray.”
-- Florida Governor Ron DeSantis

How you think Floridians' lives are arrayed NOW?

Four Tampa-area hospitals at maximum ICU capacity

What does he mean, "potential"? Of course there's going to be disarray. It's an ongoing medical emergency - you have to choose between "save lives" and "business as usual", you can't have both. And as long as he's choosing business, he'll continue to preside over triple the number of cases per capita that Canada has.

(And what does he mean, "hundreds of thousands"? Try "millions". One would think that the Governor of a state should have an idea of the state's population, if only to know how many votes he needs in order to get re-elected.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
This does not account, of course, for variations in how cases and deaths are recorded.

Some countries are recording only those that die in a hospital situation with Corona. Others record everyone who dies with a postive test, or even with distinctive symptoms.

The excess death rate may be a more reliable indicator.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Especially since there are efforts to deliberately sabotage data gathering on the epidemic. Or at aleast try and suppress publicly accessible information.
Which is why I identified my data sources.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
And in 'developments that shock no one with with a connection to reality', Brazil's President Jair Bolsonaro has, after months of downplaying Covid, insulting anyone that took precautions and refusing to take any of his own, tested positive for Covid-19. He's currently mocking it, claiming he feels fine, and saying that the virus isn't as bad as the media says...

I try not to wish ill on people, no matter what kind of jackass they might be, but this guy's pretty much calling the consequences down on himself.
The only real reason to hope he gets the whole "gotta go on oxygen and on the threshold of needing to be ventilated" is so that the Brazilian people don't suffer from his continued denial that this thing's that serious. If he shrugs it the hell off then they're never going to get to where they need to be in terms of controlling this thing.

Speaking of such, I'm pretty much writing off traveling out of state for the next 2-5 years, barring certain circumstances.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Two things I've noted today.

One, Trump has FINALLY been convinced to wear a mask, even if he keeps insisting on poking his nose out all the time. Cue so many people commenting on how 'Presidential' he's being. Fucking maggots.

Two, I've come across quite a few articles today of COVID conspiracy nuts contracting the disease and dying horribly. This includes some teenagers and early twenty-somethings that went to those 'COVID parties' where they'd all put money in the jar and the first person to catch it 'wins'. People who, for months, have been screaming about fake news, crisis actors, and all that nonsense have now discovered that diseases don't give a shit if you believe in them or not. And as much as it shames me to admit it, I'm having a hard time feeling any sympathy for them.
Well, months ago we said this was a self-correcting problem. The correction mechanism is kicking in, that's all.

ETA: Of course, that doesn't mean they're going to stop being a problem. Weeks ago I read something somewhere about a doctor who was dealing with a patient who was accusing him of being part of the conspiracy even as the doctor was trying to treat him for COVID-19. We can only assume that no small fraction of the "corrections" are going to remain as stupid as they were to start with.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
"I think I made a mistake. I thought this was a hoax, but it's not." Last words of a 30-year old that attended one of those parties.

The Darwin Awards are going to have to be collective this year...
Darwin Awards are always awarded to singular individuals and only as a result of clear, abject stupidity causing the dead of the single individual that was being clearly and abjectly stupid.

And I hold no sympathy for the conspiracy nuts and fools. Diseases are not something to joke with, and there's a reason Dutch invective is so focused not on bodily processes, sex or blasphemy but on infectious and often lethal diseases.
Folks, this isn't a record that you should be trying to break. Really.

Florida shatters U.S. record for single-day increase with more than 15,000 new cases

EDIT: And, of course, it happened on the day the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World was re-opened. <sigh> Correlation does not equal causation - DW had a mandatory mask policy in effect, and it would be too soon to see any uptick even if that was a vector.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
What do you mean it doesn't imply causation? They need to get more ghosts to fill up the Haunted Mansion, since they all left when the park was closed -- they ran out of whuffie to pay the previous ghosts. So they had to cause the next outbreak to get enough "staff".
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
I know that's parody Labster, but the problem is that I can easily imagine there are a few fools out there who will actually believe that.
(07-12-2020, 10:15 PM)robkelk Wrote: EDIT: And, of course, it happened on the day the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World was re-opened. <sigh> Correlation does not equal causation - DW had a mandatory mask policy in effect, and it would be too soon to see any uptick even if that was a vector.

Going by some of the videos I've seen from Disney World today, a wonderful combination of people ignoring the mask rules to 'own the left' and coughing and spluttering on everything (claiming it was allergies), I think contact tracing in a few weeks is gonna be horrifying.
Guess they should have had some Masketeers on patrol to enforce the requirement. By the time you're inside the park you've bought your ticket, if they get bounced and pointed at the "ALL STAFF AND VISITORS ARE REQUIRED TO WEAR MASKS" sign and denied a refund due to threatening the health and safety of other visitors they might feel enough of a sting to fucking learn the lesson.
--
‎noli esse culus
Canada adds health officials at U.S. border crossings to screen for COVID-19

Quote:Tammy Jarbeau, a Health Canada spokesperson, said the "increased presence" of officials is at the points of entry — including air and land — that see 90 per cent of travellers.

"PHAC officials, including quarantine officers, clinical screening officers and screening officers will be on-site to screen travellers entering Canada at these ports of entry," she said.

The news follows a surge in new cases of COVID-19 in the U.S., with large daily increases in some of the country's most populous states. That uptick is paired with an increase in traffic across the international border at airports and land crossings, as restrictions are loosened.

Travel across the border has been linked to a new cluster of cases in Prince Edward Island tied to an individual who came from the U.S. with a student visa.

("PHAC" is the Public Health Agency of Canada .)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown