Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discord Server
Discord Server
Hey Bob.  I went and done it.  I made a Discord Server for the general use of the fine folks here, or anyone else that shares our eclectic set of interests.

Here's the invite link.  It comes with the caveat that it's only a temporary invite unless you're assigned a role on the server.  Otherwise you'll get kicked when you disconnect.

https://discord.gg/KyTDPX

I haven't done anything yet - for that, I'd like to get some input from everyone that wants in on it.

EDIT: I've updated the invite link so you won't be auto-kicked the moment you look away from the channel. However, you'll be relegated to a single channel, named in honor of Ralph Von Wau Wau, until I can verify you're not a bot and grant you a role to access the rest of the server.

Yasuri Nanami is my number one waifu, if only because she would horribly murder all the others if they didn't shut up and toe the line.
"They did not care about all the other attempts wizards had made on the Lone Power through history; as far as a computer is concerned, there is no program that cannot be debugged, or at worst, rewritten."
-Diane Duane, High Wizardry
"If our friendship depends on things like space and time, we've destroyed our own brotherhood! But overcome space, and all we have left is Here. Overcome time, and all we have left is Now. And in the middle of Here and Now, don't you think that we might see each other once or twice?"
-Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagull
RE: Discord Server
For everyone's info - if you click the link and navigate away from the tab it boots you immediately. It's helpful that way

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
I've tried three times, but the confirmation email isn't reaching my inbox...
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I don't use Discord that much. The only problem I can think of is a Spam filter somewhere - but that's probably your first thought. I had a silent filter once on my university email, where it daisychains to my private so I still have to check my old university mail address to see if it's gone there.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
I turned the spam filter off between the second and third tries.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I just checked it out, and apparently Discord doesn't like Spamgourmet email addresses. Since as a rule I don't use my real email address except with friends and in business relationships I started before I found Spamgourmet, I guess I won't be making any kind of permanent account.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....

That’s going to make it difficult for you to be a regular in the server because I intend to set it up so spam bots can’t get in beyond a “Read The Rules” channel before I (or someone else I appoint) assigns that person a role.

Perhaps you can register an email from one of the big services you don’t use? Having an email set aside just for accessing online accounts is probably a good idea as it will be a means for resetting lost passwords and the like. Even if you use Gmail, it’s not like they’ll have any personal info on you if you’re only using it as a means to log into other services. (They’re after info that is worth something to advertisers - the fact that you’d be on Discord is worth nothing as Discord isn’t all that keen on 3rd party apps.)

Yasuri Nanami is my number one waifu, if only because she would horribly murder all the others if they didn't shut up and toe the line.
"They did not care about all the other attempts wizards had made on the Lone Power through history; as far as a computer is concerned, there is no program that cannot be debugged, or at worst, rewritten."
"If our friendship depends on things like space and time, we've destroyed our own brotherhood! But overcome space, and all we have left is Here. Overcome time, and all we have left is Now. And in the middle of Here and Now, don't you think that we might see each other once or twice?"
(05-09-2020, 07:51 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I just checked it out, and apparently Discord doesn't like Spamgourmet email addresses.  Since as a rule I don't use my real email address except with friends and in business relationships I started before I found Spamgourmet, I guess I won't be making any kind of permanent account.

If possible, you can create an "alias account" that will redirect to your main email but does not directly expose it in any way.
I've recently started using Discord; I tried the invite and was told it was expired.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
(07-15-2020, 09:23 PM)ECSNorway Wrote: I've recently started using Discord;  I tried the invite and was told it was expired.

This should be a permanent link.

https://discord.gg/xZsGE9H

Once you're there, let me know, because until I give you a role you will be restrict to Ralph's Corner.  (Reference to Ralph von Wow-wow, the talking dog at Callahan's.  Becoming a "Regular" there usually meant accepting Ralph as a person and not a cleverly trained animal.)