Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discord Server
RE: Discord Server
Giving this a bump.  I just made sure that the verification settings for individual users joining the server is set to absolutely nothing.  The only safety measure I have in place is that newly arrived users are restricted to the Ralph von Wow Wow channel until I can assign them a "role" in the server.

I haven't messed with making another account for myself in Discord, so I don't recall if verifying an email address is a global requirement or not.

If that is an issue still, I'll reiterate my suggestion from earlier: set up an email account with one of the big email services (e.g.: gmail, msn, aol, etc...) and use it only for verification and password recovery.  There's no real need to tie it to any other email (except maybe for the purposes of account recovery), and you can use it much the same way you do with spamgourmet, only with a fixed email address.

Besides, to my knowledge, Discord has no means of letting other users or bots see the email address you use to log in. There may be ways for a hacker to gain that information, but everything I've seen that goes to that tune is either months or years out of date, and the devs at Discord may have patched those holes up.  Regardless, Discord also offers 2FA (by way of Google Authenticator) to help secure your account, so even if someone were to obtain the email address linked to an account, they still can't do more than spam that email with ads.  And it's not like that will matter for much if you're not using said email for regular communication.

Lastly, keep in mind the reason why outfits like Discord don't like you using spamgourmet for email verification purposes is for the exact same reason you like to use it in the first place: they don't like spammers, either, and ironically enough, servers like spamgourmet can be used to spam other people on Discord.

That said, I've done all that I can to make things as easy as possible on everyone.  The only way I can make things any easier is to set up an IRC channel instead and shutter the Discord server.  But if it comes to that, I'll leave it to someone else to handle, because I don't have copious amounts of free time and managing a Discord server on a mobile device is tricky as is.  I'm not exactly keen to be typing in IRC command lines on a tiny touch-screen keyboard - doubly so when autocorrupt is only too happy to turn a well thought-out command string into something that would probably k-line the entire channel.

PS: if the previous invite link has stopped working, let me know and I'll get a new one up and running.

Messages In This Thread
Discord Server - by Black Aeronaut - 05-09-2020, 03:41 AM
RE: Discord Server - by Dartz - 05-09-2020, 01:23 PM
RE: Discord Server - by robkelk - 05-09-2020, 03:14 PM
RE: Discord Server - by Dartz - 05-09-2020, 04:10 PM
RE: Discord Server - by robkelk - 05-09-2020, 06:04 PM
RE: Discord Server - by Bob Schroeck - 05-09-2020, 07:51 PM
RE: Discord Server - by GethN7 - 05-17-2020, 09:39 AM
RE: Discord Server - by Black Aeronaut - 05-10-2020, 05:28 PM
RE: Discord Server - by ECSNorway - 07-15-2020, 09:23 PM
RE: Discord Server - by Black Aeronaut - 07-23-2020, 01:36 AM
RE: Discord Server - by Black Aeronaut - 07-14-2021, 05:59 AM