Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CNN Reporter arrested by state police while on air.
CNN Reporter arrested by state police while on air.
From CNNs Twitter

My 'favorite' part was how they arrest the black reporter, on camera, head off... then realize they should probably arrest the camera crew.
RE: CNN Reporter arrested by state police while on air.
It's the top story in Canada, along with the riots that they were covering live.

The Nicknamer-in-chief's tweet about the riots is in second place.

And the riots in Kentucky where 7 people were shot is in third place.

Then it's one story about COVID-19. Only after all that is there an analysis of Biden's choices for running mate.

Asking as a friend... Do you folks south of the 49th parallel need a UN armed intervention force to come in and restore order? (And, considering the state of your finances, an IMF bailout like the one Greece got?)

And I know I've posted this link in this forum, but posting it again won't hurt: How to Immigrate to Canada, direct from the Government of Canada's website. "How you can immigrate to Canada, how to protect yourself from fraud and what to expect after you arrive in Canada."
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(05-29-2020, 08:52 AM)robkelk Wrote: Asking as a friend... Do you folks south of the 49th parallel need a UN armed intervention force to come in and restore order? (And, considering the state of your finances, an IMF bailout like the one Greece got?)

And I know I've posted this link in this forum, but posting it again won't hurt: How to Immigrate to Canada, direct from the Government of Canada's website. "How you can immigrate to Canada, how to protect yourself from fraud and what to expect after you arrive in Canada."

Rob:

Thanks for the link, but,
a) I'm an old guy whose skills, such as they are, are unlikely to be in demand in Canada.  Especially since it's been 15 years since I retired, and most if not all of the Secrets and Top Secrets the Army had me read are not only out-of-date, but I've forgotten them.  Canada probably already knew more of them than I ever did, anyway.  And, 

b) More importantly, I'm not gonna let the StormTrumpers drive me out of my country.  

-----
“We’ve had our differences, but he’s seen the light … and I made sure he moved toward it, instead of coming back.”
The reporter has been released with an apology. But as we are aware "I'm just following orders" has a long and celebrated history.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
Immigrating to Ireland

The Asylum process in Ireland.

Might be useful.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Likewise: Immigrating to the Netherlands

If you are a retiree I'm not so sure about your chances of immigrating though.
Customs and Border Protection Is Flying a Predator Hunter-Killer Drone Over Minneapolis.

I repeat, a Predator used versus aliens is now hunting Americans.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(05-29-2020, 05:29 PM)Labster Wrote: Customs and Border Protection Is Flying a Predator Hunter-Killer Drone Over Minneapolis.

I repeat, a Predator used versus aliens is now hunting Americans.

Anyone else having flashbacks to the movie Blue Thunder?  Like maybe one or more of the Dotard's sneakier, slimier advisors thought the conspiracy in that movie was a good idea?
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
So, looks like another night of race riots across America. Nothing as dramatic as last night when a police station got burned down, but more fires in more cities. No one killed yet, but certainly it's coming. It has to -- there's a pandemic going on, and none of these folks are social distancing.

And one has to wonder -- does having forty million unemployed people, most of them in low-paying jobs to begin with, contribute to looting? Does it contribute to larger crowds and willingness to enter conflict with police, when they have no work to go to in the morning?

Does it help that Trump is repeating words spoken by segregationist George Wallace, dragging them back from their accursed graveyard in the sixties, to be distributed to his followers via Twitter? There's a crowd protesting outside the White House right now. It's what, 1 AM?

What makes this better? The economy is on the verge of collapse, trust in authority is eroding even faster than ever. Even the media is literally under attack, as CNN's headquarters was vandalized? What's going to slow this down? To me, everything points towards unrest getting worse.

It's like the Log Lady said from her cabin outside Twin Peaks, "I can smell the smoke, I can see the fire. The battle is drawing nigh." Or like Vladimir Putin is probably saying, "Pass the popcorn."
(05-30-2020, 12:27 AM)Labster Wrote: Does it help that Trump is repeating words spoken by segregationist George Wallace, dragging them back from their accursed graveyard in the sixties, to be distributed to his followers via Twitter?  There's a crowd protesting outside the White House right now.  It's what, 1 AM?

And apparently it's newsworthy that the Secret Service are doing their jobs.

At least the border is closed - you're not going to be able to expand this to Canada easily.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(05-29-2020, 06:16 AM)Matrix Dragon Wrote: From CNNs Twitter

My 'favorite' part was how they arrest the black reporter, on camera, head off... then realize they should probably arrest the camera crew.
 I can't find the article now, but I read that another (white) CNN reporter was a few blocks away, the police questioned him a bit but when he showed them his CNN ID they left him alone.  But the hispanic reporter with a black and white guys in his crew are all arrested Dodgy
Re: the protests in front of the White House.

It seems that at last Trump has managed to gather a bigger crowd than Obama’s inauguration.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
(05-30-2020, 08:17 AM)robkelk Wrote: At least the border is closed - you're not going to be able to expand this to Canada easily.

I spoke too soon.

Questions swirl about how Toronto woman fell from balcony as family points fingers at police

The circumstances are suspicious, to say the least - she was alone with the police just before she fell 24 stories.

Protesters prepare to rally in Toronto against anti-black, Indigenous racism
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Photographer shot in face by police permanently blinded in one eye.

Because less-lethal rounds like rubber bullets and paintballs are not magically safe. Fucking asshole soldier-wannabe Punisher knockoffs...

I am terrified of several things. One, just how messy this is going to get. We've got riots, plainclothes police officers have already been caught stirring up trouble to try and justify things, and the bastards are all too eager to escalate. On top of that, this couldn't have come at a worse time given the COVID mess. We've seen the protesters trying to take what precautions they can, but there's a very good chance it's not going to be enough to stop the spread that's about to happen among communities already being denied proper health resources.

And on a personal level, I'm worried about how Australia, with it's love of imitating the USA, is going to do something stupid that'll stir up trouble here. Which given our own racism issues, could get messy... Still, at least our police tend not to be trying to play dressup soldiers most of the time...
Recap article on the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation's website: Photojournalist shot in Minneapolis, protester killed in Indianapolis, NYPD drive vehicles (plural) into crowds... and Trump cheers on the police via Twitter. Meanwhile, police in Juneau take part in the protests.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(05-31-2020, 11:52 AM)robkelk Wrote: Recap article on the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation's website: Photojournalist shot in Minneapolis, protester killed in Indianapolis, NYPD drive vehicles (plural) into crowds... and Trump cheers on the police via Twitter. Meanwhile, police in Juneau take part in the protests.
Apparently the cops in Flint Michigan also joined the protest march
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=2673...6915169614
Must be something in the water in Flint.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
I guess the good news is that I finally get to experience the 1960s, having missed it the first time around.  We've got all the things now:
  • War in Asia that has gone on far too long
  • Cold War starting up again with China this time
  • Russian spies attempting to stir up protests and discontent
  • Massive civil rights protests that turn into race riots
  • Southerners suppressing voter rights
  • Exciting new developments in space, with a goal of landing on the Moon by the end of the decade
  • The Rolling Stones still out on tour (postponed due to the virus)
And in the meantime, Trump has decided to label antifa as a terrorist organization.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/31...gal-292785
It's certainly telling, if hardly surprising, that the American government has gone "If you oppose fascism, you oppose us," I suppose.

Well, even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Terrorist tactics are terrorist tactics regardless of the cause they claim to be supporting.
--
‎noli esse culus
Meanwhile, police have escalated from arresting live on-air reporters to shooting at them.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
The video for that one is disturbing as hell. He shoots, lowers his weapon, then decides to shoot at them again. What the fuck.
More from Minneapolis,  police and National Guard fire on crowds with tear gas, nonlethal rounds, MSNBC news crew hit.
... Remind me again how violent rebellions and revolutions start?

Because last I checked, they tend to start when the response of the powerful to protest is heavy handed suppression.