Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CNN Reporter arrested by state police while on air.
RE: CNN Reporter arrested by state police while on air.
(06-14-2020, 07:06 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: Eh, voting with your wallet is really the only thing you can do in that regard, unless you somehow manage to get on the list of Nielsen rating households. While I'm not exactly surpri9sed by this happening at Fox, I do think it is and should be a big deal - remember all the outrage about a photojournalist doing a (REALLY poor, I could have done better at fifteen) photoshop to duplicate some smoke in the sky after a bombing in the middle east somewhere, five or ten years ago? All the points that were made then about manipulated images being a perversion of the entire reason for news media existing in the first place apply just as much now. For it to barely rate a mention is a troubling sign of how much standards and expectations have fallen, especially when it's a national netowork rather than some small-timer no one had heard of.

Yeah, I've been treating it like authors taking actions towards supporting attitudes I despise (Orson Scott Card, Larry Correia, JK Rowling), I stop buying their works in all circumstances (for instance, I don't intend to ever watch the Ender's Game movie adaptation). I'm not even sure I'd go back to their works even once they're no longer on this mortal coil. Holding certain political views isn't the issue, it's about whether or not they're taking the actions (Card at one point advocated for laws criminalizing homosexuality, Rowling has shown herself to be a TERF arguing that my identity isn't legitimate and authentic, and Correia was one of the initial instigators of what some call "Puppygate", the Sad Puppies group that attempted to sabotage the Hugos in favor of a forcing science fiction to become much less diverse and considerably less interesting, while missing the point that uncomfortable politics has always been one of the themes science fiction plays with regularly).

On the other hand, I'll gladly purchase and consume anything written by John Scalzi, or produced by Adam Savage, because they're showing they're on diverse humanity's side in spite of/despite being straight cis white guys.

BTW, in a semi-related note, I've commented to my husband that it's becoming increasingly tempting to stop buying and consuming video games because it's easier to do that than to maintain the list of video game developers and publishers I won't buy from because of actions (or lack of) taken. And there's even the video game developers that are fine, but licensed properties that I got really skeeved by the actions of those rights holders (LEGO Marvel Superheroes, I finished the story mode just as the whole Captain America is a Nazi thing exploded, needless to say I lost interest in the free play mode of that). I uninstalled the Saint's Row series when THQ Nordic held their AMA on a toxic message board and it wasn't shut down, and indeed, the only indication of any action was "we did an internal investigation and are making changes" (really, this should have resulted in a public firing of the head marketing manager involved, he should have literally known better and done a lot more homework before okaying it).

Note that my niece actually takes it much further in one area; she won't read novels written by white, straight folks at all.
My brother laments this, thinking she's missing out on some gems, but I myself don't feel like I can discourage her from this sort of course, especially given my own status.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Messages In This Thread
RE: CNN Reporter arrested by state police while on air. - by LynnInDenver - 06-14-2020, 08:51 AM