Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nintendo Switch Lite and games
Nintendo Switch Lite and games
I thought I'd talk about the Switch Lite I bought and the games I currently have. 
I have a yellow Switch Lite. I feel lucky to have finally gotten one without going to scalpers on eBay. I was going to get the regular switch so I could hook it up to a tv, but the scalpers pretty much buy up every switch just as soon as they are restocked and resell them for $200 over list price. Ended up getting the lite via GameStop in a decent bundle. Buying via a bundle if you are just starting out seems to be the key to getting one right now.

Games I currently have starting with physical copies: Sonic Mania, Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Mario Kart 8 deluxe, Mega Man 11, Street Fighter 30th anniversary collection. Digital games I have: Cadence of Hyrule, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Tetris 99, plus the NES and SNES collections with Switch online subscription.

Smash reminds me of how much I really suck at fighting games. All the platform games show me how rusty I'm at them. I've been playing a lot of Animal Crossing because it is a relaxing game. 

Battery Life is pretty much at what Nintendo advertises. It does get really warm after a long time playing it. 

On my wish list: some sort of stand I could set it on and a controller for table top mode. The built in controls are solid, but can get uncomfortable during long play sessions.
"Some people are the apple of your eye. Others are just a pie in your face. Apples, maaan. Stick with them." -- Pascal (Animal Crossing: New Horizons)
RE: Nintendo Switch Lite and games
They really need to do something about the scalpers. This shit is getting ridiculous.
(06-11-2020, 04:33 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: They really need to do something about the scalpers.  This shit is getting ridiculous.

It'd be nice, but it would require them to go after the stores to limit it to 1 or 2 a customer and cut off the stores that won't do so (hint: I expect that wouldn't work with Amazon, at best it would be, "oh, so you want us to just not sell anything at all that says Nintendo going forward?" and that would be that), and that wouldn't do much more than slow some of the scalpers down. Or they'd have to deal with eBay and Amazon in terms of "this is what we want charged for these things, please bring all those sellers in line to that please." But it's also (technically) a luxury good, which is much harder to justify cracking down on anyway, they've got bigger fish to fry in terms of PPE and cleansers and keeping the scalpers from abusing the shortages of those to worry about some game systems.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
(06-11-2020, 04:33 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: They really need to do something about the scalpers.  This shit is getting ridiculous.

The same bots that snipe designer shoes are being used to grab the switches.
"Some people are the apple of your eye. Others are just a pie in your face. Apples, maaan. Stick with them." -- Pascal (Animal Crossing: New Horizons)
Can we not use the term Snipe? Cause... there are a lot of people I'd love to find on the 'receiving' end of a sniper scope at the moment and that really is not socially acceptable.\

Not that it ever was, but still....
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
There's an easy solution to this, really. I don't see it happening, though, because goddamned fucking Laissez-faire Capitalism.

Basically, outfits like eBay limit the "Buy It Now" sale price of Nintendo Switch units to their MSRP. Reason being that I see it like selling a car - you can't just turn around the instant you leave the car lot and sell it to someone else with a 200% mark-up on the original sale price. The same should apply to consumer electronics (and really, it often does). "Wait, why is this dude selling their Switch? Is there something wrong with it?"

Now, if it's being auctioned, that's different. In that case it's the buyer who is setting the price. But even then, unless the seller is a big electronics retailer with sales grossing at.... Oh, I dunno, at least $100K/week? Then they will be obligated to sell it as a "used" product and not "brand new", and must include a disclaimer that they cannot guarantee that the product will be fully functional.

To me, this seems sensible. But we all know how economists that are calling the shots are - anything to milk people for everything they're worth.
You'd have to establish rules for what would need to be sold MSRP for Buy It Now - I would prefer companies NOT have that say, because there would be too many that would insist that it's also a floor for what the price can be, and might also impose rules as to who can sell their products (even marked as used in some cases), and it would need a specific time limit - either the product still needs to be produced/actively sold (so that it avoids earlier console generations being caught up in a company's desire for sales, although the current players may well not abuse it to ensure that people are discouraged from buying the last generation used), or not a specifically "limited edition" thing (it's hard to justify enforcement on something that's sold at $1500+ and only had a few hundred available compared to a normal edition).

Basically, you'd want to tailor it so that the scalpers are squarely in the sights of it, with no wiggle room for violating the intended spirit versus letter of it, while at the same time not providing ways to punish people who feel buyer's remorse or had a sudden incident and that "luxury" item suddenly needs to be sold for some sort of value.

Such a rule would need to work hand in hand with companies limiting the number of units sold to one account on sites where buying bots have been serious problems.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
And then the bad actors would wiggle around until they found a new way to operate, and the only thing that would change is more obstacles in everyone else's way, and more arcane legal mumbo jumbo for corporations and anyone who already has enough money to hire a legal team to use to put the screws to the rest of us. The same ways that trying to legislate morality always fails.
--
‎noli esse culus
Yeah. Unfortunately, there's only one real way to deal with the scalpers, but it requires everyone to participate, and that's to not play their game. That means not buying the products from the scalpers, even if it means going without. This means leaving empty seats at entertainment venues, not getting that console, not having that particular brand printed on a t-shirt.

Yeah, we've complained in this house about whenever the scalpers overlap with stuff we want, but then we soldier on, do without, and wait for the situation to change. Eventually demand either subsides and the scalpers are forced to dump at what's technically a loss, or supply suddenly increases and the scalpers are left holding the bag.
(06-16-2020, 06:54 AM)LynnInDenver Wrote: Yeah. Unfortunately, there's only one real way to deal with the scalpers, but it requires everyone to participate, and that's to not play their game. That means not buying the products from the scalpers, even if it means going without. This means leaving empty seats at entertainment venues, not getting that console, not having that particular brand printed on a t-shirt.

Yeah, we've complained in this house about whenever the scalpers overlap with stuff we want, but then we soldier on, do without, and wait for the situation to change. Eventually demand either subsides and the scalpers are forced to dump at what's technically a loss, or supply suddenly increases and the scalpers are left holding the bag.

That's why I took the time to find a console at regular price at GameStop's online store. And I double checked everything in the bundle was at their regular retail price outside of the bundle. Doing the research helped immensely.
Updates: Animal Crossing New Horizons 1.3 adds swimming and diving. You can't go out too far, there is a net/fence at the very edge of where you can go. It adds more to do each day. I'm actually more partial to the nook inc wetsuit over the other options.

And How didn't I know about this sooner? Animal Talking with Gary Whitta