Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COVID-19 & US healthcare system: Flattening the Third
RE: COVID-19 & US healthcare system: Flattening the Third
Ironically, I think that one might actually be working in our favor.

My dad recently landed a job with Goddard.

Yes.  That Goddard.

As in Goddard Space Flight Center.

As a Lead PCB Designer.  As in he will be heading an entire department.  AT FUCKING GODDARD.

The biggest thing that has been keeping my dad out of jobs like this is the pay his degree of seniority and experience demands.  Not many people want to shell out that kind of moolah.  And the hell of it is that this isn't just his employment agency blowing smoke - he really is worth the money.  Just off the top of my head, he's worked for Raytheon, Motorola, AMD, Intel, Samsung, FUCKING JOHNS HOPKINS ADVANCE PHYSICS LABORATORY...  That last one was a serious feather in his hat because a good amount of the work he's done there is in space probes (most notably the Juno probe) that are at work now.  And on top of all that he has various security clearances with the US Government.

By all means, let's keep it this way.  There's no shortage of technical skill here in the USA - just a shortage of corporate crackheads willing to pay the money they're worth.

You know what we really need, though?

Masons.
Pipe Fitters.
Steel Workers.
Welders.
Plumbers.
Electricians.

You know, vocational jobs that are relatively easy to learn - they just demand a good deal of experience, hence why the apprenticeship system is alive and well in these fields, even in these modern days.  And a lot of these can be filled by immigrants from poor countries (like Mexico or Guatemala) who are eager to learn a trade, even if it's a trade that is labor intensive.  They'll take that over digging ditches or doing farm labor for pennies on the hour instead.

Messages In This Thread
RE: COVID-19 & US healthcare system: Flattening the Third - by Black Aeronaut - 08-02-2020, 04:51 AM