Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vacation time again
Vacation time again
I've been holding off on posting about this because things were up in the air for a while, but Peg and I are going to be spending a week in Cape Cod starting on Friday.  We'll be staying at a resort in Dennis Port and making the best of what's likely to be the last of the pleasant fall weather up that way.  As has been usual the last ten or fifteen years, there's wifi so I won't be dropping off the grid just because I've left NJ.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: Vacation time again
Well, at least the forecast no longer calls for sleet and snow on Friday... I hope you have a good time. Another year I might have suggested trying to meet at a restaurant or something but yeah, not in 2020. Probably not 2021 either with the way things are looking.
--
‎noli esse culus
I hope that there's not too much post-election violence and you'll be able to get home safely.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
What Labster said.  Have fun.
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
(10-28-2020, 02:37 PM)Labster Wrote: I hope that there's not too much post-election violence and you'll be able to get home safely.

I need to talk to Peg about it, but if it looks like something is starting either in Cape Cod or home, I'm planning to pack us up and head back right away.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Honestly I expect the first week following the election to be mostly calm, barring some low-probability events. I honestly expect the week around January 20 to be more dangerous.
depends on how the election goes Labster but i mostly agree
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

(10-28-2020, 01:24 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I've been holding off on posting about this because things were up in the air for a while, but Peg and I are going to be spending a week in Cape Cod starting on Friday.  We'll be staying at a resort in Dennis Port and making the best of what's likely to be the last of the pleasant fall weather up that way.  As has been usual the last ten or fifteen years, there's wifi so I won't be dropping off the grid just because I've left NJ.

I see that the Wikivoyage page for the area was updated three months ago - after the pandemic started - and there are plenty of attractions listed there as being open. You might be able to do something other than sit on the beach all day.

EDIT: And I've done a bit of work on the listings on that Wikivoyage page. If the entry has a map pin, then it's up to date as of today. (Hmmmmm... the listing for the ice cream shop in Dennisport says it has a player piano.)
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Oh, we were planning on doing more than just sitting on a (cold) beach. In particular, we'll be renting bikes and doing some riding in the area. But I am most certainly going to be checking out the page, and I thank you for your efforts on our behalf!
-- Bob

Well. then, I should make sure the bike trail has a map marker... Smile

I just put in more work on the page - I think that it's now as good as it's going to get without actually visiting Dennisport / Dennis Port.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Well, looks like we're getting the first snow of the year just in time to welcome Bob & Peggy to the area after all. Really picturesque, big, slow falling, snow-globe snow, sticky enough to pile up even on thin tree branches and the clapboards on the sides of buildings, but only an inch or so deep so far so the salt truck sprinkles have the roads entirely clear. If current predictions hold it'll be sunny and cold tomorrow then warm up again and rain Sunday evening, just in time to not get tired of how everything looks covered in white and start being annoyed at the glare Smile
--
‎noli esse culus
Good morning, everyone, from Dennis Port, MA. Rob, thank you for the extra effort. We'll take a look at it right before we head out for today's exploring. Drogn, yeah, we noticed. Connecticut was 100 miles or more of snowfall, turning back into rain somewhere in Rhode Island and staying that way all the way along the cape.

We arrived at almost 5 on the dot yesterday, and thanks to the drive and the previous night's bad sleep we had just barely enough energy to get out stuff out of the car and into the unit. Which is a bit smaller than the photos made it appear. Not that we're too surprised; a lot of the timeshare resorts on Cape Cod are remodeled motels. In our case the place is not bad, being a two-floor unit with the "bedroom" being a loft reached via spiral staircase. It just doesn't have a proper kitchen -- just a tiny kitchenette. It's more designed like they expected guests to eat out except for breakfasts, or do take-out. So why it's equipped with cooking utensils (full knife block, cutting board, mixing bowls, etc.) is a bit of a mystery.

Anyway, we're finishing up a late breakfast and we'll be heading out shortly. If anything interesting or unusual happens, I'll be sure to let you all know!
-- Bob

Well. So much for our first day on the Cape. Peg woke up with a headache but chose to soldier on gamely. Unfortunately, we'd barely gotten a couple of coffees and hit our first destination for the day (a hilltop park where we could sit and look out over the sparkly sea as we drank those coffees) when she felt too ill to actually continue. We're back at the unit and she's trying to sleep it off. Fortunately, whatever it is, the symptoms don't match COVID. With luck and rest she hopefully can shake it off in a day or so.
-- Bob

You;re welcome, Bob. (And I got a thank-you from the mods for doing that work, too.)

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for Peggy.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Aw, that's a bummer. Hopefully a good nap will let her feel up to at least scenery viewing, if not more active pursuits.
--
‎noli esse culus
It does seem to have helped. She's up right now and seeming much better.
-- Bob

And she was fine for the rest of the vacation.  The next day I felt vaguely yucky until early afternoon, but that was it for feeling ill -- and for most of the bad weather.

Hi, yes, we're back.  Got back early last evening but was too brain dead to actually remember to post in this thread again.  But now I'm here with a belated hello from the beach at Dennisport, MA:

.jpg   pic1.jpg (Size: 89.72 KB / Downloads: 69)

The weather, as has been noted, sucked for the first couple days.  When it wasn't rainy, it was cold with a piercing heavy wind (so heavy that at one point we had over 24 hours of wind advisory).  Despite that, though, we ranged up and down the Cape, literally driving from one end to the other, canal to Provincetown.  We spent one afternoon walking around trails at the Cape Cod National Seashore Salt Pond area, another walking around Woods Hole (which sadly because of a combination of the season and COVID-19 was almost a ghost town), and another afternoon in Provincetown (which was almost as dead).  On Thursday we rented bicycles and spent a couple hours riding up and down the Cape Cod Rail Trail (a paved bicycle trail that runs along an old railroad right-of-way, and has the only bicycle traffic circle/rotary that I've ever encountered).  We did takeout from several restaurants in the area, including a genuine Irish pub in West Dennis.  Peg stuffed herself on seafood, which she doesn't get much chance to do, since I'm very much a no-fish person.  Overall we had a great time.
-- Bob

Good news all around, then! I'm glad you had fun, it's been a horrible enough year that just hearing about someone else having a good time is a relief. Like having a hometown sports team win even if you don't follow them specifically, or something along those lines.
--
‎noli esse culus
(10-28-2020, 04:10 PM)Labster Wrote: Honestly I expect the first week following the election to be mostly calm, barring some low-probability events.  I honestly expect the week around January 20 to be more dangerous.

As much as I often dislike agreeing with Labster, I have to agree with him on this one.  Its not the election results...  but that there is a smooth transition of power between one administration and the next.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
Love you too, Star Ranger!