Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unofficial Competition: Truthful but Misleading
Unofficial Competition: Truthful but Misleading
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to come up with a Truthful but Misleading description of a famous work, preferably in a single sentence. You are not allowed to lie about the content of the work, but the description has to give a completely wrong idea about the story. Put the name of the work in a spoiler tag after the description, so that we can try guessing what work you've described misleadingly.

As examples, here are descriptions about two films:

Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first woman she meets, then teams up with three complete strangers to kill again.

Bedridden girl's invisible friend remodels her room and turns heads.

EDIT: I included sources for the lines in the spoilers because neither of these is original to me. You don't have to include a source when you make up your own entry.

Have fun!
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: Unofficial Competition: Truthful but Misleading
Oh, I've got a bunch for this one!

A private space program is sabotaged by government black ops.

Kidnapped by insurgents, a man is given strange drugs and convinced everything he knows is a lie to recruit him to their cause.

Having mutinied and stolen their ship, then lost it and captured another in the previous movie, a pirate crew defies the law and nature itself to hunt whales. The B plot is wacky fun in a foreign port city.

Occultists set up a scheme to get money out of people who believe they're being haunted or pursued by demons

After being captured and escaping from terrorists, a man arms up and goes on a rampage of revenge, first against the perpetrators and then others he can justify as similar to them, until his old partner cobbles up some similar equipment and faces him in a climactic battle that pushes both of them to their limits.

Should I stop and leave some for others? I'll stop for now.
--
‎noli esse culus
I don't think the description of The Wizard of Oz is quite right in that Dorothy never actually meets the Witch of the East, only finding out what happened on being shown the corpse. Now if one was willing to stretch definitions, one could say that the first thing she did on arriving in this strange land was commit vehicular homicide with the house as the vehicle.
[Image: ResjXnP.png]
[Image: yyZcyfY.jpg]

Young man falls under sway of fringe religion, blows up military base.
A global conspiracy to Immenentise the Eschaton, centred in a hot-spring resort.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Negligent mother killed by daughter running with scissors.

This one is from Shadowjack:
"What if Joan Jett and Coco Chanel became New Wave terrorists?"
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
A refugee working his passage tries to fit in with a crew of strangers.
A youth is badgered into accepting a new job offer, and finds he grows to enjoy it.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
An exiled criminal accidentally frees an ancient horror from its prison and becomes trapped between family, politics and the end of the world.

Young woman runs away from home to join the army, but finds God instead.

Convinced by an older man, a young woman abandons her faith and home, destroying an ancient cultural landmark in the process

An immortal deceives and manipulates generations of people, and entire kingdoms in her war against god.
The Roman Rule:  The one who says it cannot be done should
                 never interrupt the one who is doing it.
    -- BSD fortune file
Not mine:
An ex-military cab driver teams up with a priest, a DJ, and a girl who falls into his cab. They recover some rocks, and save the world.
Traditional family struggles with the harmful effects of cocaine and inner city violence be fore peacefully retiring to the suburbs. Starring Ray Liotta, Robert Deniro, and Joe Pesci.
Boy's dad is space tyrant.
Twin children are reunited but try to kill their father
Space Truckers pick up a problematic hitchhiker.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

(11-15-2020, 10:27 PM)ECSNorway Wrote: Space Truckers pick up a problematic hitchhiker.

I've seen that movie described as: Unplanned pregnancy leads to major complications
(11-15-2020, 10:47 PM)Norgarth Wrote:
(11-15-2020, 10:27 PM)ECSNorway Wrote: Space Truckers pick up a problematic hitchhiker.

I've seen that movie described as: Unplanned pregnancy leads to major complications

That's also a good one. My other favorite is "Failure to adhere to OSHA regulations leads to industrial disaster".
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Wait, there are OSHA regulations for
That alone sounds like the basis for a funny movie or novella.
--
‎noli esse culus
(11-16-2020, 08:37 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: Wait, there are OSHA regulations for
That alone sounds like the basis for a funny movie or novella.

Sorta.

Sucrose Octanitrate.

An innocent man is killed to save a world from an angry god.
A teenager who has foresworn violence is forced to take up arms again by the school's student council.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Time travelers try to stop an invasion of space zombies while building a rocket in a post-WWIII basement to contact friendly aliens for help rebuilding civilization.

--
‎noli esse culus
Not sure if this counts as "famous," but...

First contact goes horribly awry when a group of humans are so offended by the aliens' sexual practices that they plot homicide.
Communist revolutionary executed by imperialist authorities to placate local rump regime. Goes on to prove that you can kill a man, but the idea will come back.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
A powerful group creates a walled city to train their children to gain abilities. They hope produce a human who can reach Level 6. But the protagonist accidentally builds a powerful harem along the way, and even uncovers a nefarious plot to distribute a way to temporarily increase a level.

Am I doing this right, guys?
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(08-10-2022, 12:10 AM)Labster Wrote: A powerful group creates a walled city to train their children to gain abilities. They hope produce a human who can reach Level 6. But the protagonist accidentally builds a powerful harem along the way, and even uncovers a nefarious plot to distribute a way to temporarily increase a level.

Am I doing this right, guys?

You forgot to mention that the anime version has Nobuhiko Okamoto play the annoying, snide, white-haired, Level 5 secondary character, but, yeah, you're doing this right.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
* robkelk blows dust off thread

[Image: childrens-stories-reinterpreted-by-horror-writers.jpg]

Source and acknowledgement
--
Rob Kelk