Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020 US election - The fat lady is warming up in the wings
RE: 2020 US election - The fat lady is warming up in the wings
Trump's options are, as far as I can tell, now:

1) Concede with ill grace, claiming that he only lost because the Democrats were dirty cheaters.

2) Continue to make claims that he is going to win the legal battle any moment now.

3) Openly ask Republican dominated state governments to ignore the "obviously wrong" popular vote and appoint electors themselves.

4) Ask his supporters to "defend democracy" by force. I'd be much less worried about this if he didn't seem to believe that he genuinely has the support of the majority of the country, including the gun owners, police and military.

1) is the only sensible option, but he's not shown much signs that he will be sensible so far.
2) is a delaying action.
3) is a challenge to democracy. If the state governments go along with it, it would pretty much destroy America.
4) is still vanishingly unlikely, but it scares me that I cannot completely rule it out. I can't imagine the generally very honorable and professional US military going along with it, but it would still be a hell of a mess.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2020 US election - The fat lady is warming up in the wings - by Jinx999 - 11-20-2020, 12:27 PM