Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020 US election - The fat lady is warming up in the wings
RE: 2020 US election - The fat lady is warming up in the wings
It's called a "vest pocket veto", IIRC. <quick Googling> Wow, that's not really a commonly-used phrase any more, is it? But yeah.

<more Googling> Ah! Because vests aren't common any more, I guess, it's just called a "pocket veto" nowadays... and according to the Senate's own page on pocket vetoes, the President has ten days to sign a bill into law. If he doesn't, it automatically becomes a law without his signature at the end of the ten days. The only exception is if Congress adjourns during that ten day period, in which case it is a "pocket veto"; the bill does not become law and it cannot be overridden. So depending on when Congress adjourns for the holiday, it's still possible.

EDIT: It looks like Congress adjourns on the 21st. So if no reconciliation of the Senate and House versions was needed and it was put on his desk today, or maybe even tomorrow, the President can't pull a pocket veto.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2020 US election - The fat lady is warming up in the wings - by Bob Schroeck - 12-11-2020, 05:06 PM