Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVIII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVIII
Thanks, Geth.

Bob, I don't have time today to go through this article and its linked documents, but I suspect it's another example for Big Lie.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Yeah, I do think you're right.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Another new user to keep an eye on, mostly for the good reasons: "Iloveicecream"
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I see we're down to two spam posts in the last ten days. Do you think the spammers have given up?

(Either way, let's keep Moderation turned on, to catch the next wave of spam.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Do we really not have a trope/useful note/just for fun page about how some games are more lethal than others? "Sliding Scale of Game Lethality" doesn't exist, at least not under that name.

I was expecting a sliding scale because there's a continuum of possibilities from Yoon (your character cannot die) to Traveller (your character can die before the game starts).
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
That does not ring a bell. Time to open the page creator!
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Started - feel free to add to it while it's still in my sandbox
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
And a big "thank you" to User:Utini501, who asked before copying a few tropes from TV Tropes. I gave the usual advice (tropes aren't copyrightable, but expressions of them are, so we have to re-write them from scratch) and mentioned that the Trope Workshop is full right now. Utini501's most recent changes have been grammar fixes of some of the trope candidates we have in the queue.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Hmmmmm... I think this might be a better image for the Big List of Booboos and Blunders than what I put there because it didn't have an image.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
...well, I kinda like the one there now, but yeah, this would work well, too.
-- Bob

We can point to the web comic as an example, if you'd rather.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I don't feel strongly about it either way.

On the subject of feeling strongly, though, NormAtreides and his agenda-pushing is starting to annoy me. Am I alone in this?
-- Bob

I will admit to having rephrased my last few responses to him before posting them...

I'm not going to cut him off, though. The wiki does not censor for politics. Period.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Agreed. I can still be annoyed. And whenever he won't put an edit reason for an obvious political change or deletion, I will revert it.
-- Bob

I keep getting thanked for this forum post - maybe we should add it to the Trope Workshop Guidelines.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Not a bad idea. I've found I've had to explain the same or congruent ideas myself... that the list of tropes itself is a list of facts, and facts can't be copyrighted, but the descriptions of the individual facts are.
-- Bob

In the "I'll take my amusement where I can find it" section of the wiki, we have this bit... until I fix the pages so that they don't point to the redirect any more.

Quote:The following pages link to Perry Bible Fellowship:
* Hey Ash, Whatcha Playin'?
* God
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Do we have an equivalent to Ironic Echo when the echo is so definitely not ironic that it's a Heartwarming Moment?

(The example I have is currently covered under Book Ends, because that applies too... but the wording used in both scenes is almost identical with the speaker and listener swapped. And, no, I don't have a second example, let alone a third, so I'm not going to start a new YKTTW page for it.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Doesn't ring a bell.
-- Bob

It's probably Too Rare to Trope, then.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Would somebody please explain to me why we have both "Category:Artistic License" and "Category:Artistic License Indexes"?

Before I just go ahead and merge them, that is.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Bob, Brent, and Geth, anybody want to weigh in here?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I weighed in. This is one of the reasons I'd like a short trope description that doesn't suck, so people don't go off making their own versions all the time.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Thanks. I suppose I should eventually read the wall-o-text Kuma flung specifically at me, but they write so poorly it's painful to do.
-- Bob

I was only able to skim through it... If I read it correctly, the gist is "that trope has a name that's different from the meaning of this trope candidate". I replied by linking to Tropes Are Flexible and giving an anime example of a metahuman whose code name doesn't quite match her powers.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown