Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVIII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVIII
Huh - never saw that before... An image we got from TV Tropes is actually better-quality than the matching image on Wikimedia Commons.

Will wonders never cease.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I picked up a copy of Kokoro Connect in the holiday sales because of the laconic description we'd inherited from TVT. Never trust a Trailer - er, a Laconic. It's a good show, just not what I was expecting.

I've substantially expanded the writeup. It's still a stub. If anybody else here has seen the show,m please add to the description and the tropelist...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Hollywood Law

Artistic License Law

Redundancy? Overlap? Do we need both?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Artistic License Law appears to be a supertrope to dozens of "law doesn't work that way" tropes, including Hollywood Law.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(02-04-2021, 12:39 PM)robkelk Wrote: Artistic License Law appears to be a supertrope to dozens of "law doesn't work that way" tropes, including Hollywood Law.

Hollywood Law is version of real world criminal law used in fiction that sacrifices accuracy for narrative utility, seen in many police procedurals. The super trope applies to all sorts of laws, not just that limited to specific areas of the legal system.
Status report: We are now down to approximately 25,000 images without licenses. (Rough estimate, but closer to 25k than to either 20k or 30k.)

Considering we started with over 40,000 images without licenses, I'll take this as a milestone.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Is there a trope for somebody who really, really likes something? I would have expected to see it on the work page for Read or Die (describing Yomiko and books), but it isn't there.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'm sure I would know of it if there was one, and I don't so.... probably not. Time to lob a candidate at the Workshop, I'd say.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
"Not Just Saying This to Get It Into Bed With Me"? Nah, needs a better title than that...

Speaking of tropes we don't have, do we really not have a trope for how a character is discriminated against because of the character's sexual orientation?

I just tossed a quote into the Quote Bin because i couldn't find this trope.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Still working on these two YKTTW candidates, but I do have another one going now: Token Lesbian. (And what we had at "Token Lesbian" is now "Token Lesbian Couple".)

Have at it, please...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
And speaking of YKTTW candidates, I found some fascinating things about using rabbits for pregnancy tests today, but only one more example of the phrase "The Rabbit Died". We're at eight examples there now...

I know Heinlein played with the trope in his novel Friday, but I've mislaid my copy so I can't check which animal the ship's doctor used to carry out the pregnancy test on Friday. I'm just certain that it wasn't a rabbit. Anybody have a copy of that book at hand that they can check?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(02-05-2021, 09:35 PM)robkelk Wrote: Status report: We are now down to approximately 25,000 images without licenses. (Rough estimate, but closer to 25k than to either 20k or 30k.)

Considering we started with over 40,000 images without licenses, I'll take this as a milestone.

I just did the math - my estimate was off by a bit. As of this posting, we are down to 21,735 images without licenses. (And that number will drop today... Smile )

So - halfway done.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
<applause>

In other topics, I was more than a little surprised that Trump fanboy NormAtreides turned out to not be an American. It certainly explains some of his misconceptions about how the US government is supposed to work.
-- Bob

It was a surprise to me, too.

Speaking of that talk thread... my comment just now replying to your comment 'It's a pity we don't have a page on "Toxic Masculinity"' wasn't meant to be snarky, bit I realized after posting it that it could be seen as such. If so, my apologies.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
No worries, I didn't take it that way.
-- Bob

Well, seems the guy I inherited the original Tropes Mirror Wiki from finally showed back up after a long absence, and he's INCENSED I dared clean the place up, kick out the creeps, deviants, and other miscreants, instituted some rules, threw out content that was just gross and deviant (Troper Tales/Fetish Fuel) and tossed out the original wiki contents that formed the original base of the TMW because it was a copyright riddled nightmare (and had it burned to ashes and the earth salted to be sure), and otherwise turned the place around.

You can read how that went here.

https://allthetropes.fandom.com/wiki/Mes...0000041493

FYI, man considers me a traitor for all the above, I'll let you guys be the judge of whether he's right or not. For the record, I stand by what I've done.
Geeze, what an asshole. Him, I mean, not you.

"Hi! I bailed on the site years ago, and dumped it on someone else! Now I'm back and I'm angry it's not a shithole anymore!"

Yeesh.
-- Bob

Give him the same offer that Doc Colress accepted - "here's a copy of the content; you're welcome to set up your own fork where you can do things your own way"
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Geth, my question here is asked in all seriousness. Since you chose to make the complaint public without asking me about it in private first, I must insist that my question about the charge against me be answered in public.

EDIT: And, since a charge has been brought against me in public, it would be improper for me to continue acting in any role on the wiki until the charge is resolved. In order to avoid the appearance of conflict of interest, I will not do anything on the wiki other than defending my own good name until such time as this has been resolved - on the wiki. This recusal is not negotiable.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I am inclined to agree with Rob. If I were to take a sabbatical from the wiki will not affect it nearly as profoundly as Rob's would, but if you feel that my behavior in that thread is extreme enough to merit a public slap without so much as the courtesy of relating the complaint to me first, then clearly it would also be inappropriate for me to operate as a mod until the matter has been settled one way or another.

I will note that perhaps you should put Brent on notice, too, because if you check his talk page on the wiki you will see that Norm went tattling to him first and was ignored.
-- Bob

(02-11-2021, 09:50 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I am inclined to agree with Rob.  If I were to take a sabbatical from the wiki will not affect it nearly as profoundly as Rob's would, but if you feel that my behavior in that thread is extreme enough to merit a public slap without so much as the courtesy of relating the complaint to me first, then clearly it would also be inappropriate for me to operate as a mod until the matter has been settled one way or another. 

I will note that perhaps you should put Brent on notice, too, because if you check his talk page on the wiki you will see that Norm went tattling to him first and was ignored.

I see, thanks for the heads up.

I'll amend things and do just that. No need for anyone to take a sabbatical regardless, I just asked a few tempers need to stop flaring up.
(02-11-2021, 08:42 PM)robkelk Wrote: Give him the same offer that Doc Colress accepted - "here's a copy of the content; you're welcome to set up your own fork where you can do things your own way"

The original content is off the table, I had that hosed because it was a copyright nightmare, and Wikia agreed. Our current content is based off a legit ATT dump that is properly sourced, that's all I can and will offer, but the original version is off the table for any reason to my knowledge and for legal reasons, it needs to stay that way.
And I've just edited my post to say there what I said here.

Somebody please let me know when something has been posted there with regard to the charge against me.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(02-11-2021, 10:10 PM)GethN7 Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 09:50 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I am inclined to agree with Rob.  If I were to take a sabbatical from the wiki will not affect it nearly as profoundly as Rob's would, but if you feel that my behavior in that thread is extreme enough to merit a public slap without so much as the courtesy of relating the complaint to me first, then clearly it would also be inappropriate for me to operate as a mod until the matter has been settled one way or another. 

I see, thanks for the heads up.

I'll amend things and do just that. No need for anyone to take a sabbatical regardless, I just asked a few tempers need to stop flaring up.

It's too late for that. You made this public on the wiki. It gets resolved on the wiki. And I do nothing else on ATT until it is resolved.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Quote:You made this public on the wiki. It gets resolved on the wiki. And I do nothing else on ATT until it is resolved.

Likewise.
-- Bob