Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVIII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVIII
(11-22-2020, 01:54 AM)Labster Wrote: Not quite sure what to do with this, but a historian has made a really strong case for a trope he's calling The Fremen Mirage which, despite being a relatively complex trope, seems to have over two thousand years of examples of the genre.  I guess, let me put a first draft down here.

Laconic: “Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And weak men create hard times.”

I swear I've seen this in other contexts.  Didn't the Foundation trilogy use something like this for its galactic civilization?

Anyway. Your write-up looks good, although I think it could stand to be expanded a little bit, and maybe make the fact that this is not a "real" cycle of history clearer. Maybe note that this is basically a Plot, albeit on a civilization-wide scale, not an individual one, usually played out over generations with Named Characters not so much "driving" it as "riding" it (the "right men at the right time" kind of thing) at key moments in the cycle.

But yeah. I like it.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....

Messages In This Thread
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVIII - by Bob Schroeck - 11-22-2020, 11:07 AM
That's no fun... - by Bob Schroeck - 12-14-2020, 03:39 PM