Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVIII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVIII
I don't keep track of Recent Changes, so I don't really have any input on him, sorry.

That history blog has been pretty interesting.  I've been learning some things and, well.  I don't know exactly how this cancel culture thing is supposed to work, but I think I'd kind of like to cancel Laconic.  Not the actual content, just the word.

The word "laconic" is a reference to Laconia, the home province ruled by Sparta.  And particularly, how Spartans were given to pithy statements.  And, like, Sparta was really bad.  Most of the contemporaneous sources say that they were harsh on their slaves, which always says a lot when other slave owners think maybe you should cool it.  Maybe it was the annual five-day slave hunt, or maybe it was how boys graduated into adulthood by stalking and murdering a slave, but they sure had a lot of slave revolts.  Oh, and that school the elite spartiate boys graduated from?  It's nearest modern counterpart is the Lord's Liberation Army, made for indoctrination and brainwashing and not, as popularly thought, a kids school of military strategy.  So they were pithy not because it was valued in the culture, but honestly because they weren't really capable of complex speech or art or philosophy.  It's not just that Sparta was bad, it's that it was bad by the standards of its times and neighbors.

In the long term, I had wanted to move the laconic content into the page itself, and display it in search results.  But that really wouldn't need to be quite so jokey, just concise and summarizing. That would take programming work on my part though, which is in short supply.  But it's really silly to hide this away on subpages.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto

Messages In This Thread
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVIII - by Labster - 11-24-2020, 01:59 AM
That's no fun... - by Bob Schroeck - 12-14-2020, 03:39 PM