Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVIII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVIII
(01-12-2021, 08:41 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: (Speaking of which, weren't we going to make the ATT namespace uneditable by non-admins?)

That option isn't available, but I could set it so one needs "editprotected" to edit in the namespace... which I just did. That's as close as we're going to get.

If that breaks anything, let me know and I'll put it back the way it was.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Okay, thanks. One of these days I really need to dive into the docs for stuff like that. In my copious free time.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Another new user to watch, with four contributions as I post this... three of which have already been undone.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oh yeah. I undid two of them.

EDIT: Misread your post. Changed reply accordingly.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I just realized that we were missing a protected behavior under "What '''is not''' grounds for any kind of ban" on How We Do Bans Around Here, and have added the following:

* Linking to or mentioning a site or content critical of All The Tropes, or documenting the same here
-- Bob

Updating the sitenotice... which I'll leave up until next Monday now, so as to let the weekend editors see it.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-06-2021, 06:39 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Today's events remind me that we have at least one page -- Category:Truth and Lies -- and probably more pointing a redlink at "The Big Lie", which is a page we very much need these days.

Maybe we already have it.  Could folks please look at Appeal to Audacity (and compare it to Wikipedia's "Big lie" page)? Is this the Big Lie or a supertrope to it?

Thanks.
-- Bob

It just might, rabbit...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Per the suggestion by HeneryVII for "Didn't Think This Through" on the Donald Trump page, may I suggest...

* [[Didn't Think This Through]]: Many of his detractors have stated that simply thinking a few minutes before hitting the "Send" button on Twitter might have solved a lot of his problems.
** The most notable example was the January 6, 2021 Capitol Building riot, which he at least partially encouraged. Breaking and entering the seat of the United States government (something that did not happen even during the [[American Civil War]]) and assaulting police is ''not'' the right way to convince everyone that the opposing candidate "stole" the election. The blatant act of terrorism caused Trump to lose much of his already waning support, rendered him [[Persona Non Grata]] with all major social media outlets and a number of companies which had formerly done business with him, and also caused the press to refer to him with words like "fascist", "traitor", and "Nazi", which they had, up to then, tried hard to avoid doing. Whatever the case, it was obvious to everyone [[Captain Obvious|it did not improve his political career or reputation]], likely ruining it and that of many others.
** The storm of pardons he issued in his final weeks in office. Accepting a pardon by American law is an admission of guilt by the pardoned party, but worse, doing so removes the recipient's protection against self-incrimination under the Fifth Amendment (because they can't be prosecuted they can't incriminate themselves); consequently they can be compelled to testify -- in this case, against Trump. It took several weeks for this to occur to ''anyone'' in Trump's White House (at which point it was too late); Federal investigators, of course, were aware of this and more than happy to trade a few underlings for evidence against Trump himself.
-- Bob

I had to write the entry for Persona Non Grata, so I'd say "go for it". Just give an edit reason something like the one I gave: suggested by $FOO, example added to by the mod making the change.

EDIT: And if he doesn't like the wording, we can point out that a bare trope is against the wiki's Style Guide and we had to do our best in the absence of a supplied explanation.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Well, the first two parts of that comes right off the DTTT page itself, so he can't complain about them.
-- Bob

Speaking of the Donny-boy, is there a trope about setting a record that nobody would want to set? Nobody else has been (or I suspect would want to be) impeached twice, after all.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
The Great Gatsby entered the public domain in Canada this year. Are we safe to post a copy to "The Great Gatsby/Source"?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I seem to recall hearing that this was the case in the US, too. It's worth checking.
-- Bob

I'm seriously considering redirecting "Shatner-Speak" to "Punctuated! For! Emphasis!"

Convince me otherwise.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-16-2021, 04:56 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I seem to recall hearing that this was the case in the US, too.  It's worth checking.

Confirmed.  The Great Gatsby entered the public domain on January 1.
-- Bob

Could someone else take a look at this edit to a YMMV page by one of our newer users, Utini501. While technically he's provided the required explanation, the sheer size of his deletions gives me pause.
-- Bob

(01-19-2021, 12:34 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Could someone else take a look at this edit to a YMMV page by one of our newer users, Utini501.  While technically he's provided the required explanation, the sheer size of his deletions gives me pause.

Gave it an examination, looks like a lot of genuine non-YMMV and other miscellaneous natter (and not even entertaining natter) was axed. Looks legit.
Cool. Thanks.
-- Bob

I just added this to Exact Words#Real Life:

Quote:* When [[wikipedia:Greta Thunberg|Greta Thunberg]] addressed the United Nations in 2019, [[Donald Trump]] tweeted that she looked like "a very happy young girl looking forward to a bright and wonderful future", ignoring the topic of her speech. On the final day that Donald Trump was president in 2021, Greta Thunberg tweeted that he looked like "a very happy old man looking forward to a bright and wonderful future."

EDIT: And I've just taken it off that page, because that isn't Exact Words, it's Ironic Echo. Which doesn't have a Real Life section. So... adding it to the list of a proposed entries to Donald Trump.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Burn!
-- Bob

Just created a stub page with no tropes and immediately protected it... for the same reason that we have "Donald Trump" protected.

Have at it...

Joe Biden
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-20-2021, 07:21 PM)robkelk Wrote: Just created a stub page with no tropes and immediately protected it... for the same reason that we have "Donald Trump" protected.

Have at it...

Joe Biden

As I'm an admin and a history nerd who is entirely capable of setting aside my political biases (not that I have many at this point), lemme know if any flare-ups occur over contentious possible additions if you need a tiebreaker.
I wouldn't mind a second opinion on the Trump page. There's a proposal to add "Pet The Dog" - I've asked for a draft of the example text because I'm not sure whether it applies.

EDIT: And I'd appreciate an opinion on "Word Salad" suggested for Biden. (Suggested as one of a set of three - one self-evidently accurate, one patently conspiracy-theory, and that one.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-20-2021, 09:17 PM)robkelk Wrote: I wouldn't mind a second opinion on the Trump page. There's a proposal to add "Pet The Dog" - I've asked for a draft of the example text because I'm not sure whether it applies.

EDIT: And I'd appreciate an opinion on "Word Salad" suggested for Biden. (Suggested as one of a set of three - one self-evidently accurate, one patently conspiracy-theory, and that one.)

I responded on the Biden one. Iffy on the Trump example.

Speaking of Biden, I suggest mining the sources on the Wikipedia page and adding tropes based on that to flesh things out.