Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So I'm working on a Bubblegum Crisis reboot screenplay...
RE: So I'm working on a Bubblegum Crisis reboot screenplay...
(01-02-2021, 12:30 AM)STMPD Wrote: This is a wayyyyyy more nuanced vision of what a Boomer is than I was planning to address in this particular 'film' (yeah I wanna do more, make a whole more OVA series. Retell OG OVA's with my own twists). And it's not really what I was going for with Totally-not-Soulkiller: the 'engrams' are new tech, an overlay on existing Boomer neural nets hoping that they'll be able to fool humans just a little better, generate better sales. Imagine that - granny's upload forced into some secretary bot. Ech.

You don't need to address this matter in the first film. Call it a sequel hook, or something to use to hint at a greater moral complexity, but at the same time it's perfectly fine if the Boomers in the first movie are all machines committing violence and mayhem at their master's instruction.

Likewise, R&D takes time. Just because the memory engrams are used now doesn't mean that Stingray had access to the technology. The discovery that the memory engrams work that way could be very recent, and that the ramifications of that technology haven't gotten through to GENOM yet. Sure, the pilot programs indicate that it results in more stable Boomers, and that if you shove in the right engram it works as a skill enhancement system, but it's not been rolled out to the public. Yet.

(01-02-2021, 12:30 AM)STMPD Wrote: Warren's Intellectual Assets (now Dead Bang's villains) never really made sense to me - I don't see Quincy as the type to ignore advice from transhumans he built. Hell, I think Quincy's ultimate agenda is to render IA's - I like to call them Ambassadors, because they're essentially the meat-mediation element of a human-AI supergenius hybrid - the master race, and Boomers the slave race, for a panstellar empire (with 'baseline' humanity rendered impotent and extinct after a few megagenocides). Of course, they might try for their own coup d'etat against Big Daddy Q, maybe try to rope Sylia (Big Sister) in as a co-conspirator. And then that'd be the climax of something, Quincy's faction and his hidden countermeasures (The OMS? What if he is the OMS?) vs. the Ambassadors vs. Largo and his perpetual ability to not fucking die vs. the Sabers.

Actually, now that I think about it, my first draft of this script involved Cynthia (from OVA 1) not as a Boomer, but as a proto-Ambassador built by the military as the ultimate strategist. Could never figure out what to do with her - what her objective with escaping (not being kidnapped) was besides the usual live-in-peace cheesy bullshit - but I think I'll keep the Ambassadors plotline around for some later project. We'll see.

Hey, 'I want to live in peace' isn't bullshit, especially in Cynthia is well aware of what sort of destruction is gonna be wrought if she starts triggering the orbital weapons. You'd probably not be able to address it in the movie though.

Also, it's not megagenocides. It's just genocides.

Messages In This Thread
RE: So I'm working on a Bubblegum Crisis reboot screenplay... - by hazard - 01-02-2021, 07:00 AM