Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whatta haul! Whatta haul!
Whatta haul! Whatta haul!
I have just belatedly remembered that we have frequently had threads describing the gifts we've received for the holidays, and I decided to start the 2020 edition.

So... So far, I have received a gaming headset, a copy of Heroes Feast, a D&D-themed cookbook, a Calphalon saucepan and saute pan (the latter being so large I'm not sure where I'm going to store it), a copy of the game Unstable Unicorns along with its "NSFW" expansion, and a DVD box set of the entire run of The Guild.  There are things still in transit from my sister, our friends in NY, and my in-laws in Pittsburgh and Batlimore, so that list is going to grow over the next couple weeks.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: Whatta haul! Whatta haul!
I got a gas-station gift card. Yeah, that's it.

(I've been working from home since first-lockdown, and not going anywhere on vacation. Guess I can use it for junk food, maybe.)
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Got a dashcam for the car (and made sure my husband is aware I'm not allowed to open a YouTube channel to post videos of tailgaters), a 3D printing pen, a brand new handmade dice bag (from Australian Aborigine designed fabric no less), a 90s Doctor Who rock tumbler with a TARDIS that appears when a cold drink is within, a 90s "Trio" Star Trek mug with the eponymous three who disappear from the transporter pads when a hot drink is within, a little magnetic LED light, and an annotated edition of The Wizard of Oz. No playing cards this year, but then, family members haven't really had opportunities to get such on tourist trips this year.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Ash vs. Evil Dead, the complete series was the highlight of my x-mas gifts.
“I really hope I’m behind this convoluted mess; at least that way I’ll be able to get revenge by doing this to myself. I won’t even have to feel bad because it’ll be all my fault.” - Harry Potter, The Master of Death by Ryuugi.
Aside from a single pair of pants (there is no escape from The Curse of Adulthood!) I just got given money, as I have repeatedly insisted to all my relatives that there isn't much of anything I want that isn't too expensive to be a gift on the budgets any of them have. I expect I'll be using the combined proceeds to buy a better CPU cooler for the computer I built back in the spring (Noctua NH-D15, my proud beauty, you shall finally be mine!) since the stock cooler is... okay but stills sees things thermal throttling despite the house tending to be rather cooler than most people consider to be "room temperature" (65-70F vs. 72-75,) a couple of their case fans as well to replace the unfortunately loud ones I originally used, and a cheap-but-better-than-a-webcam digital video camera that can also serve as a proper 30 megapixel still camera when not attached to the desk-mount arm, as while I was basically born to be at my happiest in full lockdown my mother especially has been getting more and more stir crazy with such limited social contact, and I do occasionally have things I want to take pictures of.

Mostly posed toys TBH, but I'd put off some modding and painting on ones bought specifically for the purpose back as the weather was getting hot on the grounds that the less skin oil that got onto them the less of a pain it would be to glue and paint when the PVC plastics in modern Transformers are notoriously difficult to work with in the first place, and here it is halfway through the winter already and I haven't got back to it.

I thought about a better graphics card, but then laughed, laughed harder, and dismissed the idea, since the bottom end, two-generations-old cards are $700 these days and just that is over two times the "I'll be very cross with myself, and very sick of ramen noodles by spring" upper bound. The Radeon RX 580 is doing everything I ask of it anyway, so there'd be no reason to upgrade but vanity even if it was specifically the "Okay, this is comparatively crap, but I can afford it now and replace it later" option. I'm still salty about having my old system die just as the previous generation of CPU and GPU were about to be replaced, though at least I managed to be in that window when the prices dropped before everyone started buying whatever was in stock to keep busy and fulfill the telepresense needs during the recurring lockdowns.

Oh, and I also got $50 specifically earmarked for new shoes, since my sneaks are now old enough to drink and the fake-leather uppers have gotten stiff enough to start cracking across the top of the foot, but that has to wait until time, inclination, and open hours align to get to a shoe store, or at least a Wal*Mart, as mail ordering that kind of thing is iffy at best.
--
‎noli esse culus
http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/s...#pid198540
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
The package my brother('s family) sent from Odenton, which was meant to have arrived December 18, finally reached us yesterday. (Thanks, Louis!) I didn't report it then because we hadn't opened it. Mom and I each got Virginia Tech T-shirts, because that's where Nephew Major is nominally going (these days, remotely going); addressed to my parents, but really for all of us, a good-size photo-portrait of Nephew Minor.
Oh, I forgot one gift, the one that came first, weeks before Christmas and thus kind of left by the wayside, sent by my in-laws in Pittsburgh who I mentioned earlier: A big box of Italian foodstuffs from the Pennsylvania Macaroni Company, including various pastas, spaghetti sauce, a salami, pizzelle, a liquid-box of crushed tomatoes, a tube of tomato paste, pesto and so on...
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
For Christmas I received a Switch Lite with SkyRim, Breath of the Wild, Link’s Awakening, Astral Chain and Animal Crossing.

For Three Kings day I have received a Lego Star Wars Duel on Mustafar set, and the following books: Live to Tell the Tale, The World of Critical Role, Critical Role: Vox Machina Origins, Flashing Steel 25th Anniversary Edition and Star Wars High Republic: Light of the Jedi which I am enjoying immensely.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
(01-05-2021, 05:01 PM)Mamorien Wrote: The package my brother('s family) sent from Odenton, which was meant to have arrived December 18, finally reached us yesterday. (Thanks, Louis!) I didn't report it then because we hadn't opened it. Mom and I each got Virginia Tech T-shirts, because that's where Nephew Major is nominally going (these days, remotely going); addressed to my parents, but really for all of us, a good-size photo-portrait of Nephew Minor.

Yesterday afternoon, a second package arrived, containing a VT T-shirt for dad, a "VINTAGE 1970" cap and a smaller nephew portrait for me, a history of the POA that includes our family lake house, and wallet-sizes of the nephew photo. Again, let me say "Thanks, Louis!" (I've occasionally used that hashtag on Twitter, forgetting that there's a footie coach to whom it's used to give sincere and deserved thanks.)
(01-02-2021, 09:22 PM)robkelk Wrote: I got a gas-station gift card. Yeah, that's it.

(I've been working from home since first-lockdown, and not going anywhere on vacation. Guess I can use it for junk food, maybe.)

Looks like I got myself a gift. A KickStarter reward that I had almost forgotten I had backed pre-pandemic arrived this week.

Whoever RightStuf got to do the hardcover book for the Emma Blu-ray release knows how to put together a properly-bound book.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
By chance, the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack I'd ordered made it through the brexit shitstorm to arrive on Christmas Eve - a gift more by it's opportune arrival time than anything. It was worth waiting for.

As for the hardcore stuff, the christmas sack this year contained:
1 Bottles. Yellow Spot
5 Rolls. Fomapan 100 in 120 Format
3 Rolls. Fomapan 200 in 135 Format
1 Mazda RX8 transformer (Jazz)
1 Box Leonidas chocolates
1 set of air-pod type earbuds
1 camera backpack
1 Power Up, by AC/DC, on record.

Also used a voucher I got in work to buy a Fuji GW690 camera off an internet auction site - to use the 120 film rolls. It's a camera with a negative larger than IMAX cinema film.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Quote:1 Box Leonidas chocolates

Madness? This! Is! Chocolate! <grin>

The gifts from the in-laws from Baltimore arrived last night at my mother-in-law's, and we went over to receive and open them, so you can add a nice pair of flannel sleep pants and a matching T-shirt to my accumulating stash.
-- Bob

Let's see, I got a new Fitbit tracker (Inspire 2), a book on meditative drawing, a coffee table book of a crochet afghan pattern, a book on the history of soda fountains with drink recipes in the back, a Visa gift card, and a flannel nightgown.
(01-08-2021, 07:08 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(01-02-2021, 09:22 PM)robkelk Wrote: I got a gas-station gift card. Yeah, that's it.

Looks like I got myself a gift. A KickStarter reward that I had almost forgotten I had backed pre-pandemic arrived this week.

Whoever RightStuf got to do the hardcover book for the Emma Blu-ray release knows how to put together a properly-bound book.

If we're counting Kickstarter rewards (and I've privately been), I got THOSE KIDS U KNOW, the SLUDGE Book of Receipts (from supporting the Brick House Cooperative), three Jellybean games (Goblin Teeth, Jabberwocky, and the Village Pillage expansions Surf & Turf), and the print-on-demand of Lunars: Fangs at the Gate.
Hm, well. A quiet Christmas here, since we couldn’t go out much, but I did visit with family a bit.

Nice calphalon soup pot, a gift cert for clothes, some music, a new ipad...
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.