Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nearly half of Canadians miss high school literacy grade
Nearly half of Canadians miss high school literacy grade
No, this isn't a Politics thread.

Nearly half of Canadians miss high school literacy grade — and that's bad for economy

Quote:Nearly half of Canada's population has a big roadblock ahead of them when it comes to post-pandemic economic recovery — and it's not the novel coronavirus but a fundamental set of skills for daily life.

Poor reading and writing skills make up a literacy gap in Canada with consequences for both democracy and the economy. Experts say the gap is due in part to an abundance of jobs in the past that do not require the daily use of reading comprehension and information synthesis skills.

In short, literacy is not like riding a bike. It takes practice to retain those skills, and Canada's economy does not provide the opportunity to do that for many workers.

Despite relatively high education rates, an analysis of international assessments by Statistics Canada in 2013 showed that more than one in six adult Canadians fell short of passing the most basic set of literacy tests.

I see no reason to expect the situation in the USA to be any different, considering how similar the two countries' educational systems and work forces are.

So...

Maybe our expectation of a high-school-graduate level of literacy to take part here and at All The Tropes might be little optimistic?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: Nearly half of Canadians miss high school literacy grade
Sounds like we need a campaign either akin to the Chic fil a chain, and or using all those book lover photos Norgarth finds for us...

the tagline of which is "SPARE THE TWEETS. READ MORE BOOKS"; because that is what my opinion of where the problem really lies is. The present generation either uses emoji's or a max of 255 characters
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
I had a supervisor who would not read past the first 30 words of an email.
They wrote like that too - dozens of individual emails and phone calls with individual sentences as things occurred to them.
Except for marked up documents, those came as giant sets of cellphone pictures with no subject line or text in the email to make that searchable, and that only because my phone wouldn't take them as texts. Thank goodness for my tiny, dumb phone that wouldn't let that through.
-Now available with copious trivia!
(sarcasm post)
Reading and being smart are overrated......

Being dumb, drunk, and fat is the only way to get through life these days.
Sorry, just had to post something from a different point of view. Yes, these days kids reading a book....are you kidding me?
I have fallen into that trap the past few years and read online more than picking up a book or magazine...sigh.