Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX
Seconded.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
BTW, some kind soul donated this to ATT Wikia, based on our logo, makes a great Favicon for the site, I think we should use it for the Miraheze branch too:

https://allthetropes.fandom.com/wiki/File:Favicon.ico
Oh yeah. Months ago I thought of making a favicon with the exact same image, but it got lost in the shuffle. Two thumbs up! Go for it.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
...I've just realized that a small crowd of recent new contributors all disappeared the day we banned InterestingPerson. It would appear that that He-Who-Must-Be-Denied-Attention had more than one sockpuppet account and the IP block part of the ban process locked them all out.

EDIT: This discovery is a side effect of my assembling a list of users I was going to nominate for autopatrolled/automoderated. That list now contains only Batata. Any objections?

EDIT 2: User Cwf1997 looks like a good candidate for automoderated as well, but he hasn't made an edit since shortly after IP was banned...
-- Bob

(04-13-2021, 04:31 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: ...I've just realized that a small crowd of recent new contributors all disappeared the day we banned InterestingPerson.  It would appear that that He-Who-Must-Be-Denied-Attention had more than one sockpuppet account and the IP block part of the ban process locked them all out.

EDIT:  This discovery is a side effect of my assembling a list of users I was going to nominate for autopatrolled/automoderated.  That list now contains only Batata.  Any objections?

None from me.

Added favicon as well.
(04-13-2021, 04:31 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: ...I've just realized that a small crowd of recent new contributors all disappeared the day we banned InterestingPerson.  It would appear that that He-Who-Must-Be-Denied-Attention had more than one sockpuppet account and the IP block part of the ban process locked them all out.

If you still have the list, you might want to post it to the Stewards' Noticeboard and ask for a Checkuser on the lot of them. "Going quiet as soon as a ban evader's IP address was blocked" should be grounds for the check.

(04-13-2021, 04:31 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: EDIT:  This discovery is a side effect of my assembling a list of users I was going to nominate for autopatrolled/automoderated.  That list now contains only Batata.  Any objections?

EDIT 2:  User Cwf1997 looks like a good candidate for automoderated as well, but he hasn't made an edit since shortly after IP was banned...

No objection to giving Batata autopatrolled. I'd prefer to wait a bit regarding Cwf1997, if you're going to ask for a Checkuser.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(04-09-2021, 06:42 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(04-07-2021, 06:09 AM)robkelk Wrote: ...
Just got a board-to-board message from another user suggesting the same thing...

And now I can say that the "another user" is Umbire the Phantom.

Who has been doing quite a bit of mod-level work on the wiki over the last few months, with nothing more than autopatrolled/automoderated rights.

I have no idea whether Umbire the Phantom would be interested in becoming an admin, or (now that we have Moderation in place) a moderator. Do the other admins think that we should make the offer?

(04-09-2021, 07:12 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: It's not a bad idea; I think the same thing has been percolating in the back of my mind for a while.

I've also been thinking about promoting a few of the new users to autopatrolled/automoderated. Batata is the only one who comes immediately to mind, but I'll draw up a list while I do my usual daily review of Recent Changes.

And nobody else has said anything one way or the other about this in four days. Going to go send Umbire the Phantom a board-to-board message now.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Quote:If you still have the list, you might want to post it to the Stewards' Noticeboard and ask for a Checkuser on the lot of them. "Going quiet as soon as a ban evader's IP address was blocked" should be grounds for the check.

Well, as I noted earlier, I was going to assemble the list; my intent at the time (which was around when IP was banned) was to go through Recent Changes and go "yeah, that one... and that one". But then IP happened and I put it off, and Recent Changes doesn't have an "Older 20/50/100/..." option.

I went in from the other side earlier this afternoon, starting with the user creation log and checking anyone with non-zero contributions. I didn't go back much farther than IP's creation date (which I need to do next) as it was serving two purposes, looking for potential parallel sockpuppets; of everyone of that vintage Cwf1997 was the only one with enough edits to actually consider, and honestly not quite enough in my opinion. And their last post was a day or so after IP got banned. All the others I looked at had no more than 5 or 6 edits each.
-- Bob

Okay, our list of suspects is Ogleguy2000, Cwf1997, and ChristianFrates97 -- and we already know, more or less, that those last two are the same guy. They all registered within a couple weeks of IP (before him, basically) and all went silent about the same time IP was banned.

I tried to post a request on the Steward's Board but got that damned "CSRF token error" that's plagued me before.
-- Bob

And I've just posted the request via my work machine, which isn't throwing stupid errors at me.
-- Bob

I forgot to mention, but I gave Batata automod/autopatrroled last night.

We might want to consider doing the same for KMFStudios, who haven't made a lot of edits but have made good edits since 2018.

EDIT: Likewise Zierin705. User for a year now, not a lot of edits but other than a single copyright issue a couple months ago which he responded to in an adult and mature manner, all good stuff.
-- Bob

Topic change.

Somebody please explain to me why we have this, this, and this as separate tropes.

Especially considering that the first two play to bigoted stereotypes.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Well, "The Ditz" was created way way back circa 2005. (I thought I'd created it, actually, but no, it's not in my list.) It's the supertrope, basically. The others ... Well, bigoted stereotypes or not, they are archetypes, "Dumb Blonde" moreso than the other (which strikes me as a trope born out of the 90s).
-- Bob

(04-14-2021, 11:57 AM)robkelk Wrote: Topic change.

Somebody please explain to me why we have this, this, and this as separate tropes.

Especially considering that the first two play to bigoted stereotypes.

Well, while current-day media tries to shy away from these tropes, they are prominent in a lot of older media and media that parodies such tropes.

Dumb Blonde is very commonly lampooned in a lot of 90's and early 2000 media especially, and Asian Airhead is not as common, but is used as a comedic subversion of Asians all being stereotyped as nerdy at times (which can also be bigoted depending on your perspective).

Thing is, as long media has existed, so has the humanity being portrayed in it, and like it or not, various races have been stereotyped both in good, bad, or unusual ways all over the planet at one point or another. Our noting this does not cast approval or disapproval of such, we simply note how and when such a portrayal was used for the purposes of information and scholarship.
I have been trying to figure out how to make a short definition be the thing that pops up when you enable popups (Special:Preferences -> Appearance -> Reading preferences), but haven't gotten there yet.

Our main problem is that we like to write in a non-encyclopedia style, and let you get away with putting the definition later and hidden in a bunch of text.  Honestly, I'm okay with this.  However, what happens is that Extension:Popups uses Extension:TextExtracts to get its text, and this just takes the first 1000 characters or so.  The Navigation Popups gadget on Wikipedia has a bunch of stuff going on, but actually loads the whole wikitext and parses part of it to display, which on our page sizes is just stupid. Extension:ShortDescription seems like kind of the right idea -- but it doesn't expose the right APIs (search only), and it strips out all markup.

I guess I'm stuck because I need to figure out what the product should actually do.  First off, where do we want the trope description?  It could be integrated into the {{trope}} template, and thus be the first element on the page.  This sort of makes it possible to use the default implementation, but it just keeps loading more text that is often irrelevant.  Or do we want it at the top of an infobox?  Should it have basic markup show in the popup -- bold/italic/underline -- or even links?

This looks to be a fairly annoying project, because no one seems to think that you'd want to customize anything major in these extensions, so I might have to change a number of extensions to make this all work.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Let me make sure I'm understanding you correctly before I express any thoughts or opinions -- are you suggesting adding a markup to our pages which will hold an abstract of the page for display in the popup?
-- Bob

Heads-up for you, Rob... the whitespace cleanup you did on The Fourth Wall Will Not Protect You broke a bunch of embedded URLs. I've fixed them, but, y'know...
-- Bob

Aargh. And I swept for occurrences of {{=}} without finding any, too...

Thanks, Bob,

EDIT: Oh, yes - something new for some category pages. Still needs lines for Asian Animation that isn't Japanese.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
{{=}} is only necessary inside the {{quote}} template; anywhere else it's optional at best, overcoding at worst.
-- Bob

(04-13-2021, 09:42 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Okay, our list of suspects is Ogleguy2000, Cwf1997, and ChristianFrates97 -- and we already know, more or less, that those last two are the same guy.  They all registered within a couple weeks of IP (before him, basically) and all went silent about the same time IP was banned.

Word back is there's no evidence any of them are IP.
-- Bob

BTW, whatever happened to offering Umbire a staff position?
-- Bob

(04-17-2021, 06:23 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: BTW, whatever happened to offering Umbire a staff position?

I made the offer but have not received a reply.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
This line in our page for The Dover Boys is just begging to have the last sentence linked to our trope page for a veiled insult:

Quote:* [[Damsel in Distress]]: Lampooned mercilessly. Even as she repeatedly [[Offhand Backhand]]s her captor, she continues to bang on the door calling for help. A door that's visibly locked from the side she's on. She needs help, all right.

The problem is, we don't have a page or a redirect named "Veiled Insult".

What do we call this trope?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Stealth Insult seems to be it. We should probably create a redirect.
-- Bob

Thanks, Bob. Redirect created and used.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown