Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX
I have been trying to figure out how to make a short definition be the thing that pops up when you enable popups (Special:Preferences -> Appearance -> Reading preferences), but haven't gotten there yet.

Our main problem is that we like to write in a non-encyclopedia style, and let you get away with putting the definition later and hidden in a bunch of text.  Honestly, I'm okay with this.  However, what happens is that Extension:Popups uses Extension:TextExtracts to get its text, and this just takes the first 1000 characters or so.  The Navigation Popups gadget on Wikipedia has a bunch of stuff going on, but actually loads the whole wikitext and parses part of it to display, which on our page sizes is just stupid. Extension:ShortDescription seems like kind of the right idea -- but it doesn't expose the right APIs (search only), and it strips out all markup.

I guess I'm stuck because I need to figure out what the product should actually do.  First off, where do we want the trope description?  It could be integrated into the {{trope}} template, and thus be the first element on the page.  This sort of makes it possible to use the default implementation, but it just keeps loading more text that is often irrelevant.  Or do we want it at the top of an infobox?  Should it have basic markup show in the popup -- bold/italic/underline -- or even links?

This looks to be a fairly annoying project, because no one seems to think that you'd want to customize anything major in these extensions, so I might have to change a number of extensions to make this all work.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto

Messages In This Thread
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX - by Labster - 04-16-2021, 04:03 AM