Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX
(05-01-2021, 02:45 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: And a major heads-up for staff:

According to Matomo Analytics we've been visited twice in the last week from the "copyright" subdomain of Higbee & Associates, a noted "copyright troll".

We may be on the verge of getting targeted.  Reading the article I linked, it appears that they go after a lot of alleged misuse of photos.

I don't know what they expect to gain. Quoting from copyright law:

Quote:Violation du droit d’auteur : responsabilité

35 (1) Quiconque viole le droit d’auteur est passible de payer, au titulaire du droit qui a été violé, des dommages-intérêts et, en sus, la proportion, que le tribunal peut juger équitable, des profits qu’il a réalisés en commettant cette violation et qui n’ont pas été pris en compte pour la fixation des dommages-intérêts.

Note marginale :Détermination des profits

(2) Dans la détermination des profits, le demandeur n’est tenu d’établir que ceux provenant de la violation et le défendeur doit prouver chaque élément du coût qu’il allègue.

I don't know whether UK law is similar.

EDIT: In the meantime, there's one use that I'm pretty sure isn't Fair Use: "Face Claims" in roleplay threads. I'm replacing the images on roleplay Characters subpages with this in order to protect the wiki.

RE-EDIT: Oh, dear; we have two lists of roleplays - here and here. I could use some help with finding the images.

RE-RE-EDIT: Oh, dear - "Image Links" subpages. Somebody needs to go through all of them and weed out the images we're hosting that aren't actually illustrations of the trope in question. And if it's an Image Links page for a work or a creator instead of a trope, is having the subpage actually "criticism or analysis"?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown

Messages In This Thread
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX - by robkelk - 05-01-2021, 04:26 PM