Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Political what-if: A second Constitutional Convention
RE: Political what-if: A second Constitutional Convention
(02-21-2021, 09:59 AM)robkelk Wrote: This board's rules are "Have Fun, and Play Nice". It's time to have fun in this sub-forum.

If there was to be a second Constitutional Convention (Yes, you had one before -- almost nobody remembers the Articles of Confederation) called today, what would you like to see included in its results?
  • Separate the powers of the Head of Government and the Head of State. Let the Head of State handle all the ceremonial stuff (meeting with other Heads of State, pardoning the Thanksgiving Turkey, holding parties in the Rose Garden, staging photo ops, etc.) and defend the Constitution from a Head of Government who's gone too far, and let the Head of Government concentrate of governing (meeting with other Heads of Government, working with the House and Senate Majority leaders to turn bills into law, issuing executive orders, etc.).
  • The total hourly remuneration (salary and benefits added together) of a Congressperson may not exceed five times the legislated hourly minimum wage in that Congressperson's congressional district. Any benefit available at no charge to everyone in a Congressperson's congressional district does not count toward this salary and benefit cap. (It's taxpayer money that funds their salaries and benefits - no fair asking those taxpayers to fund putting a Congresscritter into The 1%.)
Neutering the presidency is a big one -  the executive is unusually powerful compared to most countries, in effect nearly a dictatorship. The Presidency should set the tone of the nation, set the mood in a crisis, make soothing mouth noises to the people when there're ructions and have the power to check the government, but not to overule it. The US Presidency is worryingly close to an elected dictatorship - with the ability to almost rule by decree and send the army in through constitutional workarounds.

Also. Proportional Representation rather than that idiotic melange of FPP  - both reduces the impact of Gerrymandering and ensure everyone gets the candidate they'll tolerate, rather than some getting the one they want. It'll be shot down because it makes it harder for one particular side to get themselves elected for sure.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Political what-if: A second Constitutional Convention - by Dartz - 02-21-2021, 10:46 AM