Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][PLOT] The Seventh Thread of Planning for Arc 1 - Arrivals
RE: [OOC][PLOT] The Seventh Thread of Planning for Arc 1 - Arrivals
Letting folks in on a secret: There's been a plan in "write this some time" status in my devfile practically since The Academy City Job went into the devfile - but that plan only covers approximately 90% of the Misaka Sisters. (As of this posting, the only person who's commented on the plan has been Labster.)

So what's actually needed is short-term housing for 9971 people for a week or two, then long-term/permanent housing for 997±ROUNDINGERROR people. The fact that all of these people are 13-year-old electrokinetic girls named Misaka just makes things more fun. (Especially for Misuzu Misaka: "I have how many daughters?")

EDIT: Although this isn't the only refugee crisis the Metacontinuity has. BA and I have been working on a different story, in which it's mentioned that there are probably some Chobits persocoms out there who either ran away or were kicked out after Chii gave them self-awareness and they decided they didn't like being abused by their owners. Some of them will have ended up alone in the Metacontinuity after Piffle arrived as a group, and the vast majority of the individual persocom displacees didn't show up in Ottawa. Windsor already has Mahoro, who's an android - she'd probably understand on an emotional level what these persocoms went through in a way that flesh-and-blood people can't, and her behaviour toward Minawa in canon shows she'd be willing to take in a lost persocom or two.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(03-27-2021, 05:43 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 04:40 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 02:09 PM)robkelk Wrote: I was going through old posts while populating the wiki's map with location markers, and I re-discovered these two from the very first Planning for Arc 1 thread:

Black Aeronaut Wrote: As for governments... well, part of the issue we have here in America is how the people that make up the upper echelons of our government are seemingly more and more disconnected with the citizens each election cycle. Not that I don't think there's decent people working in the bureaucracy - I know there's plenty. The issue comes in that these people have a framework they have to work within, and it doesn't really have much wiggle room.

I have the odd idea of something happening very much like in the Coneheads movie - someone at just the right level knows that something is up, they won't simply let this rest - it offends their sensibility that something out there does not fit their world-view and it must be brought into line, one way or another! (I love that the agent wants to deport them, never mind that they don't have the means to send them back home!)

And so it would go... At least, until this agent's incessant pushing comes to the attention of someone even higher up - someone who still remembers that his paychecks come out of the earnings of hard working types and works to do his job fairly and justly. They're not illegal immigrants, he decides. This! This is a refugee crisis! And these good Americans represent American values at their finest by taking care of these displaced people as best as they can.

A new agent is placed on the case, the old one is given a new posting. (Not Alaska. The higher-up isn't evil like that. Hawaii, though, will probably get this fellow to relax a bit while still providing him appropriate targets.) This new agent will make their credentials legitimate and act as a liaison between them and the rest of the government. In other words, this agent is someone who's done legitimately good work and has had experience working with other agencies such as Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Central Intelligence Agency, the National Security Agency, the Drug Enforcement Administration, and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives.

Norgarth Wrote: And then the old Agent runs into Lilo and Stitch 8P

Okay.

So, where in Hawai'i do I put the marker?

Well, I would have thought "The same island Lilo and Stitch reside on"... Or am I misreading the question here?

(03-27-2021, 02:09 PM)robkelk Wrote:
Wikipedia's page for the island of Molokai Wrote:The island is an agrarian society, where the economy has been driven primarily by cattle ranching, pineapple production, and sugar cane production, and small-scale farms. Tourism comprises a small fraction of the island's economy, and much of the infrastructure related to tourism was closed and barricaded in the early 2000s as the primary landowner, Molokai Ranch, closed operations due to substantial revenue losses.

Hmmmmm... I can see Lord Phantomhive buying the residential parts of Molokai Ranch as long as he gets a government subsidy to do so. (does some quick research) No, wait, There might be a couple of smaller properties available (scroll down to the bottom of the page).

Good GRIEF.

In that case, the locals might actually welcome Ciel buying up the properties and reopening the resort.

(03-27-2021, 02:09 PM)robkelk Wrote: Hire Lilo's big sister Nani as the property manager, maybe?

Any objections to the displacees having a Hawaiian getaway location, relatively far from the usual tourist traps? (Maybe have July 4 celebrations in the tropics...)

Oh, not at all!  After everything she's been through, Nani can definitely handle of the weirdness that's about to come her way.  Big Grin

In fact, after Ben kiddifies himself, that might just be exactly what he and his rather odd, budding family needs...

The Kaluakoi Hotel  it is, then (which IRL appears to have been re-opened just in time for the pandemic to hit, but let's not let that stand in the way of our story).

Pity that there aren't any deep-water ports on Molokai, though (confirmed by checking the current NOAA charts). I guess the local school ship will just have to anchor offshore when the GnP girls show up... and Stitch won't get to terrorize them quite so easily.

I have just added an entry to my "write this some time" list:
  • "Obligatory Beach Episode". That's the actual title, not a working title. No idea what to put into the story other than descriptions of the girls (yes, even Musujime and Rico) in fanservicey swimsuits... although we can use this to introduce the vacation getaway in Hawai'i.

I haven't actually started a page for this one yet, and I don't intend to until I get three stories finished...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(03-28-2021, 04:22 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: I'm just trying to come up with a good way to wedge it in there.  (No Ever Given/Suez Canal jokes, please.  Tongue  )

The thing I have about the ships showing up as part of Step 5 is that they'd be a big enough deal that we'd be all too tied up to handle Academy City right away once it does show up, emergency or not.

For one thing, there's "Where to put them?"  Labster has already figured out that LA, San Diego, and even San Fran are a no-go because of the undersea geography.  Zuikaku is among the smallest of these ships, but even that has a phenomenally huge draft of 250 meters!

Our characters would probably be all right in the middle of getting the command staff, civilian government, school administration, and student body government on each ship read-in on the situation when Academy City shows up.

Now, we can go ahead and write it like that.  This is deconstruction, and so this will present the issue of "What now?" because you can't just hide these things because they're all as tall as sky scrapers.  Not even Maginot's Surcouf because, despite it being a submarine, the old listening nets are still out there, and they'd sure as hell hear that monster of a sub and the allied navies would all fucking shit themselves.

Well, hang on a minute...

(03-28-2021, 07:04 PM)Labster Wrote: The challenges of ships this size are a little nuts, to be honest. Basically, with 250m or 140 fathoms below the water line, it essentially means that school ships can't be on the continental shelf. This isn't a huge challenge out in the Pacific with subduction zones all around. You can stuff a ship fairly easily into Monterey Bay, because of Monterey Canyon. You'd only need to be about a mile offshore from Point Dume in SoCal. Molokai isn't too bad, but you can't get quite as close to a place without the tectonic action or erosive turbidity of a continental river, like in California.

But well, we can't get anywhere near San Diego because of the Coronado Rise. The SF Bay shipping lanes are only swept out to 55 feet; the Golden Gate itself is deeper, but not deep enough. But the challenge here is more that the Zuikaku's deck on which Oorai sits is twice as tall as the top of the Golden Gate Bridge. The Strait of Juan de Fuca is not deep enough either. And on the East Coast, you might need to be 100 miles offshore from New Jersey in Hudson Canyon.

I'm pretty sure what happened here is that the author of Girls und Panzer took existing aircraft carriers and scaled them up until the deck was big enough to host small cities. But is that such a good idea? This has the potential to mess with views ( at 10km away, the ship is 2.4° by up to 38° across ), and since it's so much larger than a breakwater, surfing. And wildlife too.

At 250m below the surface, that means we have about 25 atmospheres of pressure on the lower decks. Good thing we have an amazing carbon coating, right? The total interior space below the surface is 690m, which means we have roughly 160 storeys of space to fill -- and probably up to 200 on the bigger school ships. This is a lot of space. But hey, the average school ship is 10 times longer than the SDF-1 Macross, because that's what we need for education, right?

BlackAeronaut has been assuring me that GnP isn't from a post-scarcity society, though. I guess it's good that our lottery dollars are enough to pay for this, right?

Actually, let me look up tsunami wavelengths.... okay good, still an order of magnitude bigger. Whew.

Source for all the depths - NOAA nautical charts
(03-30-2021, 06:14 PM)Labster Wrote:
(03-30-2021, 05:40 PM)Mamorien Wrote: From Alvaro at MetaBall Studios, water vehicles including the Ōarai and Pravda school-ships:

https://youtu.be/ykCMsLPMca0

Hey, cool! If you want to see the school ships, you can skip to the last ten seconds, because they're the biggest things in the video. My only complaint is that Zuikaku (or Kiev) could not actually get that close to Jamaica Bay -- they'd need to be 80 Nmi further out to sea in Hudson Canyon to be in a place that could handle her immense draft.

They're simply too big to show up anywhere that they'll be seen immediately.

If they're going to show up, they're going to show up offshore where nobody's going to notice them for a few days, even if they were to show up in the shipping lanes (which doesn't need to happen). And der Film shows that at least the sensha-do teams use Morse code for long-range communication - they aren't going to swamp the airwaves with voice or picture traffic.

Malleable Continuity still takes a big hit, but nobody on Earth notices immediately. We might even have the managers be informed of the new arrivals by the celestials.

Also,

(03-28-2021, 12:20 PM)robkelk Wrote: Considering that at the end of The Academy City Job we'll have over nine thousand Misaka Sisters that we have to put somewhere for a few days, I expect those apartments will end up filled ... Smile

"Hey, Anzu, can over 9000 girls borrow Yukari's camp-out skills and your forest for a week? Just stay out of storms for a while, please."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(03-31-2021, 03:46 PM)robkelk Wrote: They're simply too big to show up anywhere that they'll be seen immediately.

If they're going to show up, they're going to show up offshore where nobody's going to notice them for a few days, even if they were to show up in the shipping lanes (which doesn't need to happen). And der Film shows that at least the sensha-do teams use Morse code for long-range communication - they aren't going to swamp the airwaves with voice or picture traffic.

Malleable Continuity still takes a big hit, but nobody on Earth notices immediately. We might even have the managers be informed of the new arrivals by the celestials.

Also,

(03-28-2021, 12:20 PM)robkelk Wrote: Considering that at the end of The Academy City Job we'll have over nine thousand Misaka Sisters that we have to put somewhere for a few days, I expect those apartments will end up filled ... Smile

"Hey, Anzu, can over 9000 girls borrow Yukari's camp-out skills and your forest for a week? Just stay out of storms for a while, please."

Speaking of storms, Zuikaku takes up about 6 pixels on a geostationary satellite like GOES-16, depending on how far it is from directly under the satellite.  The other ships could easily be 20+ pixels, and look like islands that move.  You know, unless they stay under clouds a lot.  The decks might end up inside a marine stratocumulus, so a bit foggy on top, but should still hide 'em.

So, let's talk horizons.  Assuming not terrible visibility, and ignoring refraction which could help visibility, Zuikaku's tower can be seen from √( 2 R-earth height )  (where Earth >> ship) = 87km away.  The deck can be seen from 74km away.  For a bigger ship like Ark Royal, it could be seen from 112km away.  Yes it will be hazy, and yes clouds can get in a way.  You've all seen mountain peaks from far away, right?

Oh, and that's from standing on land.  From one of the many planes that cross the ocean, you can see quite a bit farther.

I mean I hate to be the guy who says no but gosh, the scale.  Ships of this scale, if they were made of air, would be part of mesoscale meteorology, the same thing that studies thunderstorms.  Were we to stick Ark Royal in the ground balanced on her bow, her stern would be in the lower stratosphere (high latitudes), tropopause (mid latitudes), or upper troposphere in the ice clouds (tropics).  I'm used to thinking on these scales as a meteorologist.

The southern oceans would probably be the only place to escape detection, but gosh, I can't see these being secret longer than a week without cloaking devices.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Double post, because it's a new topic. You know how Alice has to attend high school because she's not 18? Well, I ran across this on Hacker News a few minutes ago: Beach High School. So, funny story, while children are required to attend high school until age 18 unless they have graduated, California law has no requirements on what private high schools teach... or don't. Apparently someone else has actually created a high school, enrolled themselves in it, and graduated themselves. This guy, Wes Beach, essentially offers high school graduation as a service (HSaas).

I'm thinking of using this school for Alice, because (1) the name is outstanding and (2) the main reason to get her in school was to meet another displacee group; once that's done she can happily ignore school. Not sure how long to keep the complaining going, though Smile

Oh and if I had known this existed I definitely would have done it. If I was going to community college anyway, there was no point in not just starting immediately.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Judging by the copyrights on that page, he's been doing this for close to twenty years? Guess that means no one in the CA state government is going to invalidate them anytime soon...

And yes, it makes a great plot device for any of the underage displacees in California.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(03-31-2021, 09:24 PM)Labster Wrote: ...
The southern oceans would probably be the only place to escape detection, but gosh, I can't see these being secret longer than a week without cloaking devices.

We only need two or three days - a week is more than enough. And the map on the "Places" page on the wiki has no map markers south of the equator at the moment, so...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(04-03-2021, 09:15 PM)robkelk Wrote: When Washuu-chan said "extended range," she wasn't kidding, Kazari mused as she looked at her computer display. The "Hatsuhara" drone that she received as a Halloween gift was still transmitting clearly to her mini-server, despite being 100 kilometres away.
<Irregular Webcomic> Academy City Science sneers at the radio horizon! </Irregular Webcomic>

(That, or Kazari's bouncing a signal off a satellite, in which case Academy City Science sneers at the problems with fitting a satellite antenna into a laptop used indoors!)

No, I'm not going to change it. Academy City science is capable of anchoring a space elevator in Japan - this obviously isn't real-world science we're talking about here.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Heh.

That bit with Ben being a human-form "Capacity Down" system would give the Academy City kids all the more reason to have RESPECT for him.  Going by that, he doesn't just degrade their Esper abilities, he can completely knock the fight out of them!

BTW: This is gonna make Ben into one HELL of a distraction during the Academy City Job.  In fact, it'll be perfect.  Everyone - even Aleister Crowley at first (but only in the first couple of minutes) - will think he's the Big Deal going down.
Have a teaser, since it'll be a while before I'm ready to post the entire section. It isn't the most elegant way to enumerate the party members, but it'll do.

A group of teens and young adults were making their way on cross-country skis - slowly, due to the lack of decent snow cover so early in the season - across rolling fields. They seemed to have no concern as to who might be watching them.

"I am impressed," Saber commented. "The Norsemen who came up with this mode of travel should be rewarded."

"If they were Nordic people," replied Shirou Emiya.

"It is called 'Nordic skiing'," Rin Tohsaka commented.

"And guinea pigs are rodents from the Andes," Arf pointed out. "You can't always trust a name."

Archer grinned. "I think this particular name is trustworthy. The sport can be traced back to Swedish and Norwegian infantry maneuvers."

"As fascinating as this is," Fate Testarossa said while stifling a yawn - it was still early morning for the people from San Antonio, and she had been using muscles that she didn't even realize she had - "is discussing it here really the best use of our time?"

"It's this or wonder again when they're going to notice us," pointed out Sakura Matou. Her Servant, Rider, nodded in agreement.

"Oh, they've already noticed us," Noike Kamiki-Jyurai replied.

"Didn't you see them pointing at our group?" asked Nanoha Takamachi.

Meanwhile, the "them" in question were reporting to their superiors. "There's a bunch of humans out near the front entrance!"

"What, really? How many, and how old, and are any of them from that building nobody's been able to attack in the last two months?"

"Nine, and I think only three of them are older than teenage. And I don't think any of them are from that group."

"Go get them, then. We need more snacks for the buffet next week."

"Yum, lady fingers. And lady toes." If the troll had a mustache, he'd have been twirling it.

The guards were so intent on the small group that was nearly at their front doorstep that they completely missed seeing the larger group teleporting in beside the van parked up the road.

Oh, and trolls can't count. At least, not these trolls.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Wait, what time zone is this supposed to be? Because Central Time in the USA is supposed to be UTC -6... or UTC -5 if its Daylight Savings Time. Which should only be one hour behind from from Toronto or Montreal.
(04-06-2021, 07:09 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: Wait, what time zone is this supposed to be?  Because Central Time in the USA is supposed to be UTC -6... or UTC -5 if its Daylight Savings Time.  Which should only be one hour behind from from Toronto or Montreal.

It's Eastern Time, so they're "one hour early" compared to normal for them - but it's roughly 8:20 am ET (7:20 CT) and they've been exercising. They're also close to 45° N and it's four days before the winter solstice - the sun's been up for less than an hour. There are plenty of shadows for the Unseelie to hide in.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oh, it wasn't the Unseelie having hiding places that got me.  It was the fact that Nanoha and Fate were feeling tired.

I know Nanoha can be sluggish about getting out of bed.  She kinda reminds me of myself at that age whenever she went fumbling for her phone when the alarm goes off.  But I don't see it in Fate.  And Nanoha will usually shake it off in time to get dressed, fed, and out the door in a timely fashion to get to school.

Madoka (once she shows up) on the other hand....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKgkH0Qycv0

Freakin' love that "GIRL ON A MISSION" look on her face.  Although Ben's reaction would be a lot more... chill, yet somehow annoyed.
So, as discussed in the wiki thread...

(04-07-2021, 03:15 PM)robkelk Wrote: Canon description is now copied over. As for changes in the Metacontinuity...

Quote:He awakened... somewhere, exactly where matters little... hale and hearty, alive in a body complete with working hands, and with the certain knowledge that his idle musings about possibly being a character in somebody else's story were correct. He is certain that this "somebody else" is [[Celestial supporting characters|either a goddess or a she-devil]], mainly because he awoke with a list, written by a feminine hand (he could tell), of the places in this strange new world where others like him, characters from other stories, had appeared.

If he is (as he assumes) to be a character in someone else's story, then it behooves him to be the best character that he can be, within the limits of his characterization and abilities. After all, he expects nothing less from his own characters; to fail to live up to his own rule would be rude.

And thus he walks the Earth, traveling from town to town (if one can call cities where over a million people live "towns"), adjusting the plots to create more interesting stories.

Isn't that just lovely? How could somebody like that possibly be a threat? Well, considering that he likes stories with dark endings, and has the power to warp reality...

EDIT: Quoting from his description on All The Tropes:

Quote:Drosselmeyer is often very Genre Savvy, particularly when it comes to fairy tales.

He's going to be simply fascinated by the characters from RWBY...

As I said before, I like it!  And lemme guess: Salem’s handwriting?  Though I don’t think she would have anywhere nearly that much info this early on.

What if: Drosselmyer is on the nose with the she-devil bit?  It is canonical that Hild has her detractors. And this might just be the sort of scheme they’d use to spite/hurt her rep.

Thoughts?
Addendum: keep in mind this she-devil I thought of would just be the Season One Big Bad of the Big Bass. She can be rounded up near the end of Season One.

In fact, she could be the reason for the Big Crash that literally blows up in Urd and Skulds faces. A booby trap as a final contingency and final flying middle finger?

Thoughts?
I deliberately left it open:

Quote:Somebody left that note for him... Marller? Satan? Salem? Some random Princess Tutu fangirl? Somebody else? Who knows?

Whatever works best for other people's stories, as far as I'm concerned.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
May as well share the entire page...

Drosselmeyer

Residence: deliberately homeless
Original ficton: Princess Tutu

"Now, tell me the best story that was ever told! Tell it to me with no regard for your lives!"

Antagonist NPC

Canon Description

Quoting from All The Tropes:

Quote:Years before the opening of the series, Drosselmeyer was a writer who was working on his masterpiece, The Prince and the Raven. However, before he could complete his story, he died, leaving his story unfinished and the two title characters trapped in an endless battle. Eventually, the characters were able to escape the story—and it turned out that Drosselmeyer, while dead, could somehow control the story even from the grave...

In the series, Drosselmeyer takes a mostly passive role (or at least seems to be), commenting on the action and giving Ahiru (and occasionally other characters) little pushes in the directions he'd like to see the story go. At first, he appears to be mostly on Ahiru's side, trying to encourage her to continue in her task to recover Mytho's lost heart, even when things become difficult for her. But he has a sadistic streak that's obvious from the start, and it soon becomes clear that the sort of story Drosselmeyer finds entertaining likely won't be as happy as the characters might want.

Thanks to being a writer and storyteller in the series, Drosselmeyer is often very Genre Savvy, particularly when it comes to fairy tales. He takes great delight in telling the other characters what they should be doing per their "roles" in the story, and will sometimes even scold the characters for subverting their roles and trying to do something beyond what's expected for them. However, even when things seem to be going against what he'd wanted, after a brief moment of frustration he chippers back up as long as the twist is at least entertaining.

This is, perhaps, the part of Drosselmeyer that is most chilling: Although his "characters" are real people trapped in a story, he's fine with anything happening to them—as long as the story is entertaining. While this is a perfectly reasonable reaction towards fictional characters (as tropers that love The Woobie will often admit), the sociopathic personality needed to treat real people this way can be quite frightening, indeed.

Changes in the Metacontinuity

He awakened... somewhere, exactly where matters little... hale and hearty, alive in a body complete with working hands, and with the certain knowledge that his idle musings about possibly being a character in somebody else's story were correct. He is certain that this "somebody else" is either a goddess or a she-devil, mainly because he awoke with a list, written by a feminine hand (he could tell), of the places in this strange new world where others like him, characters from other stories, had appeared.

If he is (as he assumes) to be a character in someone else's story, then it behooves him to be the best character that he can be, within the limits of his characterization and abilities. After all, he expects nothing less from his own characters; to fail to live up to his own rule would be rude.

And thus he walks the Earth, traveling from town to town (if one can call cities where over a million people live "towns"), adjusting the plots to create more interesting stories.

Original Skills and Powers

Drosselmeyer is a reality warper - he can write stories that become true.

However, he has to write his stories on paper, with a pen (or a quill). He's too set in his ways to think that pushing buttons on a keyboard counts as "writing".

In-Universe Power-Ups

When one can write stories that become true, the concept of a "power-up" becomes meaningless. However, he has become familiar with the modern world, picking up the basic skills that everybody has.

Relationships

Somebody left that note for him... Marller? Satan? Salem? Some random Princess Tutu fangirl? Somebody else? Who knows?

"Drosselmeyer is often very Genre Savvy, particularly when it comes to fairy tales." He'll find the characters from RWBY to be fascinating.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
A bit of "Crossover That Should Not Be" silliness:

we've secretly replaced Saten-san with Satan-san, with Salem-san, and closing the circle. Let's see who doesn't notice.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
While at work last night, I had the idea of Police Detective Joe Friday living at one of the residences when he's not working at his new precinct.

This in turn made me ponder other cops who might need a new residence :
Inspector 'Dirty' Harry Calahan
Detectives Martin and Riggs
Detective Axel Foley

and San Antonio gets their own lawman, a Texas Ranger by the name of Walker...
And Detroit has a new officer named Alex Murphy...
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(04-15-2021, 07:15 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: And Detroit has a new officer named Alex Murphy...

He occurred to me too, but I was focusing more on cops that wouldn't look (completely) out of place before the shit hits the fan Smile   Alex Murphy's a little eye catching.

more possibilities:
Karen Murphy in Chicago (hanging out with a PI by the name of Harry Dresden...)
Columbo
the casts of the various CSI shows
Starsky and Hutch
Ponch and John out in California
Kate Beckett (and the mystery author who follows her around)
US Marshal Sam Gerard (Tommy Lee Jones' character in The Fugitive and US Marshals)
the Miami vice duo
detectives Mike Lowrey and Marcus Burnett  in Miami (the Bad Boys movies)

Natuarally, some of them blend in better than others... Smile
Quote:Alex Murphy's a little eye catching.

He can always be imported from the first few minutes of the movie.

Quote:Karen Murphy in Chicago (hanging out with a PI by the name of Harry Dresden...)

"Karrin", actually.

Fun fact: There is (or was) an actual Karen Murphy on the Chicago PD, which is why the character's name was changed for the TV show. Why not pair her up with Dresden? <grin>

Quote:more possibilities:

All the various cop contacts in the different City of Heroes neighborhoods... <grin>
-- Bob

(04-15-2021, 12:57 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
Quote:Alex Murphy ...

He can always be imported from the first few minutes of the movie.

Quote:Karen Murphy in Chicago (hanging out with a PI by the name of Harry Dresden...)

"Karrin", actually.  ...

"I wonder whether they're related."

(And wasn't there another... no, wait; Daedalus Patrick Murphy was an insurance investigator.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(GnP ships)

(04-01-2021, 09:06 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(03-31-2021, 09:24 PM)Labster Wrote: ...

We only need two or three days - a week is more than enough. And the map on the "Places" page on the wiki has no map markers south of the equator at the moment, so...

I found a place to have them show up: Point Nemo, the "oceanic pole of inaccessibility".

It's so far from land (and the closest land is either the chain that Easter Island is in, the Pitcarin Islands, or Antarctica) that the closest inhabited land mass is over six times farther away than is the International Space Station, when the ISS is directly overhead. NASA and Roskosmos dump old satellites there because there's no chance of hitting anyone.

It's caught inside the South Pacific Gyre, a current that keeps nutrients from getting close (it doesn't keep plastic wastes out, though), so the fishing's almost nonexistent.

There's no reason to go anywhere near the place by boat or plane, and no reason to stay if you do go there. It's a perfect place to dump really big ships into the Metacontinuity.

However, Lovecraft put R'lyeh nearby. Hmmmmm... carrier-borne tanks versus a Great Old One...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
hey, if Ol'Squidface can be KO'd by a wooden(?) ship, he's definitely gonna feel getting run over by one of those Carriers.

on the topic of cops...The Police Acadamy crew Confused Sick