Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][PLOT] The Seventh Thread of Planning for Arc 1 - Arrivals
RE: [OOC][PLOT] The Seventh Thread of Planning for Arc 1 - Arrivals
The challenges of ships this size are a little nuts, to be honest.  Basically, with 250m or 140 fathoms below the water line, it essentially means that school ships can't be on the continental shelf.  This isn't a huge challenge out in the Pacific with subduction zones all around.  You can stuff a ship fairly easily into Monterey Bay, because of Monterey Canyon.  You'd only need to be about a mile offshore from Point Dume in SoCal.  Molokai isn't too bad, but you can't get quite as close to a place without the tectonic action or erosive turbidity of a continental river, like in California.

But well, we can't get anywhere near San Diego because of the Coronado Rise.  The SF Bay shipping lanes are only swept out to 55 feet; the Golden Gate itself is deeper, but not deep enough.  But the challenge here is more that the Zuikaku's deck on which Oorai sits is twice as tall as the top of the Golden Gate Bridge.  The Strait of Juan de Fuca is not deep enough either.  And on the East Coast, you might need to be 100 miles offshore from New Jersey in Hudson Canyon.

I'm pretty sure what happened here is that the author of Girls und Panzer took existing aircraft carriers and scaled them up until the deck was big enough to host small cities.  But is that such a good idea?  This has the potential to mess with views ( at 10km away, the ship is 2.4° by up to 38° across ), and since it's so much larger than a breakwater, surfing.  And wildlife too.

At 250m below the surface, that means we have about 25 atmospheres of pressure on the lower decks.  Good thing we have an amazing carbon coating, right? The total interior space below the surface is 690m, which means we have roughly 160 storeys of space to fill -- and probably up to 200 on the bigger school ships.  This is a lot of space.  But hey, the average school ship is 10 times longer than the SDF-1 Macross, because that's what we need for education, right? 

BlackAeronaut has been assuring me that GnP isn't from a post-scarcity society, though.  I guess it's good that our lottery dollars are enough to pay for this, right?

Actually, let me look up tsunami wavelengths.... okay good, still an order of magnitude bigger.  Whew.

Source for all the depths - NOAA nautical charts
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto

Messages In This Thread
RE: [OOC][PLOT] The Seventh Thread of Planning for Arc 1 - Arrivals - by Labster - 03-28-2021, 07:04 PM
RE: [IC][Story][Arc 1] Arrivals - by Norgarth - 02-13-2022, 05:08 PM