Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minakoisms
Minakoisms
Yes, I know the technical term is "malapropism", but in this setting they're Minako's specialty. I thought it might be convenient to have a place to list them.

Starting off, David Morgan-Mar's commentary to this strip has me thinking Minako might offer to play the Devil's avocado.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: Minakoisms
Heh. Any I already have are queued up for use and any I come up with will become so. But I'll certainly enjoy whatever people post here.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
You could always use some of the ones from the Seventh Doctor. They were aired from 1987-89, so Minako might be familiar with them.

"Absence makes the nose grow longer."

"Time and tide melt the snowman."

"A bird in the hand keeps the doctor away."

"Every dogma has its day."

"Two wrongs don't make a left turn."

"Where there's a will, there's a beneficiary."

"A miss is as good as a smile."
Hm. That's something I hadn't thought of... making Minako a Doctor Who fan.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
That's just begging for sonic screwdriver jokes WRT the Mercury Computer. Go for it!
--
‎noli esse culus
...Aren't Doug's saddlebags considerably larger on the inside than the outside? Wink
(03-11-2021, 11:20 AM)Ebony Wrote: You could always use some of the ones from the Seventh Doctor. They were aired from 1987-89, so Minako might be familiar with them.

"Absence makes the nose grow longer."

"Time and tide melt the snowman."

"A bird in the hand keeps the doctor away."

"Every dogma has its day."

"Two wrongs don't make a left turn."

"Where there's a will, there's a beneficiary."

"A miss is as good as a smile."

I can add a pair from Rich Morris' fan comic The 10 Doctors (sadly no longer available for online reading, at least not at Rich's comix blog, so I can't provide direct links).

When the Seventh Doctor assures the Ninth that no, he's not having a mid-lives crisis because they already had one, the Sixth Doctor makes his presence known by objecting, quite loudly, to being thus characterized, leading the Seventh to mutter "Speak of the gerbil..."

Later, suggesting that maybe his selves should work separately, the Seventh says "Too many bakers spoil the crust" as the Fourth and Sixth wander past in the background. (If anyone needs that joke explaining, please squeak up.)
(03-11-2021, 01:30 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Hm.  That's something I hadn't thought of... making Minako a Doctor Who fan.

I’d had the idea a while back of making Minako a Doctor’s companion. I mean, we know she spent some time in England fighting monsters, that much is canon. And she’s catnip for the Doctor: a mysterious, charismatic girl who attracts monsters and aliens, who reminds him of someone he met millennia ago. If I ever get around to writing it, it’d be called Stellar Companion.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
In a bizarre roundabout way that reminds me of a story I'd started a long time ago and have let lay fallow for.... oh, at least a decade, in which Queen Serenity was the last (and favored) student of the wizard Shazam... and Serenity's line has the same magical gift that produces the Marvel Family. And when Mary (Batson) Bromfeld gets sent to Tokyo to investigate a rash of monster attacks the two intersect for the first time in millennia...

But I'm getting us off-topic. Back to Minalaprops. I have a few banked up, but they're surprisingly easily to manage on the fly.
-- Bob

On the fry, you mean.
(03-12-2021, 08:31 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I have a few banked up, but they're surprisingly easily to manage on the fly.

(03-12-2021, 11:33 AM)Labster Wrote: On the fry, you mean.

Only if Bob has a few baked up.

Or, considering some of the things Minako says, half-baked.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
This has gone on long enough, time to nip it in the butt.
Don't be such a stick in the mutt. ... Wait, are we playing fetch now?
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Not a malapropism, but a related observation: Did Minako learn English from Dwayne Schneider?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Somehow I can't see Schneider surviving in England for more than a couple days.

Meanwhile the original Mrs. Malaprop was British...
-- Bob

(04-14-2021, 07:28 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Meanwhile the original Mrs. Malaprop was British...

As was her dramatical predecessor, Much Ado About Nothing's Constable Dogberry, famous for bidding his watchmen "comprehend all vagrom men".
Heh. I suspect most readers didn't notice it unless they read the Concordance, but Urd quotes Dogberry near the end of DW5.
-- Bob

But we have the doctor already...but what if some of the scouts are red dwarf fans?
Smoke me a kipper and I will back for breakfest.
Smeg off!!!!!
Another British show that was still showing on repeats around this time frame is Allo-Allo, featuring the policeman who thinks he can speak "french" .
Here is a link to 90 seconds of officer Crabtree with his catchphrase "Good Moaning".  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGNVU5ZjlgA

Mark
The fishiness is wrought from the head!

Useful if the monster of the week has an aquatic theme and it turns into a piscine match.
If Minako is going to throw out malapropisms, will Doug, music-oriented as he is, respond with mondegreens?
(07-01-2021, 09:07 AM)Ebony Wrote: If Minako is going to throw out malapropisms, will Doug, music-oriented as he is, respond with mondegreens?

I suspect it'll be Minako who starts using mondegreens.

"'Scuse me, while I kiss this guy," she said while walking over to Doug.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
What's that fishiness one based on, Labster? Or is it just an odd sounding but internally consistent thing she might say?
--
‎noli esse culus
It goes “the fish rots from the head” which is a way of saying that corruption comes from those with most authority. The other version I could hear Artemis sighing, “eh, close enough.”
"Well that's a turnip for the books!"
--
‎noli esse culus